So... What is the best local media player app for the PlayBook currently? There's a five-year-old thread suggesting the KalemSoft media player, but I can't even find that on Blackberry World anymore. There's another thread suggesting a sideload of BSPlayer or mvideo player, but that might only be for BB10.

Apologies if I'm asking an obvious question. I assumed there would be a port of VLC somewhere. (VLC is my preferred Android player; Blackberry World only seems to have one for remote media playing.)

...Of course, I suppose one option would be just to play videos on my Android phone and stream them to my PlayBook; is there an app for that?
    08-02-18 11:33 PM
    Sideload ES File Explorer which has a built-in player.
    08-03-18 06:27 PM
    Sideload ES File Explorer which has a built-in player.
    I tried the first semi-random video I could find on my hard drive, which turned out to be an H264-encoded AVI. The ES File Explorer video player just says "Sorry, cannot play this video".

I also found out that KalemSoft still offers a demo at KalemSoft - Products (which they advise installing via DDPB) . It correctly identifies the video track, but it stops playing after the first second. I assume this is not a demo limitation.

And I found the APK to BAR converter at GoodEReader. Searching for "MX Player" turns up at least 25 results and I have no clue if any of them are supposed to work. Any hints..?
    08-04-18 12:43 AM
    I use mine to check fantasy football scores. Play a couple games. Thats it. Always a bummer it couldnt handle OS10. It just feels great in the hand. The hardware is excellent. Sad, but I think I will finally grab an IPAD this year.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-18 03:38 PM
    I use mine as a. book reader. Epub
    09-06-18 03:42 PM
    I still do, in fact, I'm gonna use this thread to ask if someone else has the same situation: when I restart the playbook all my stored wifi passwords dissappear. Any ideas?

/*Passport SQW100-1*/
    09-10-18 09:34 AM
    I still do, in fact, I'm gonna use this thread to ask if someone else has the same situation: when I restart the playbook all my stored wifi passwords dissappear. Any ideas?

/*Passport SQW100-1*/
    Yup, happened to me once. I had to backup, wipe and restore data to fix it.
    09-11-18 05:21 PM
    I went on a trip recently where I knew I would have limited or no WiFi or cell coverage most of the time. So I decided to haul along the Playbook for amusement. I generally find the browser is unworkable nowadays but it wouldn't be a problem here. I loaded it up with a bunch of movies, music...and just in case, offline GPS maps.
    Things I really like:
    - Size: screen is big enough for comfortable viewing but small enough to pack easily. Yes, it could do with smaller bezels, but on the other hand, I've got a phone like that and it's hard to hold it securely without activating a touch somewhere.
    - Battery life is still decent. I didn't have to worry about it much, watched plenty of videos every night and only needed a couple of top ups durng the week
    - Screen is still plenty bright and sharp. I only carry 720p videos and it works great. I don't see how a full HD display would be much better in this regard. Yeah, I'm sure side by side you could spot something but there's a power penalty to pay and since none of my videos are full HD anyways...
    - Audio : Here's one place where it's still a real standout! It has way better audio than any portable device I have or have heard from any friends / family. In some ways it's smaller than other portable Bluetooth speakers I've come across...but it's more than just a speaker!

I use the default music player, never any complaint about it. For video, I generally find the built in player always works. I resort to Kalemsoft when I need to deal with SRT subtitles or when I want the feature to resume playback of a file where I last stopped.
    I do wish it had a sharper screen and faster CPU for PDF reading, it's sort of painful for the documents I usually view.
    jamesharmeling and dmlis like this.
    09-11-18 05:27 PM
    I was considering selling my 16GB with case, case w/keyboard, and 2 fast chargers - until I charged it up and tried to go to CBC.ca. can't imagine there is any market left for these?
    09-11-18 06:10 PM
    Yup, happened to me once. I had to backup, wipe and restore data to fix it.
    I hoped I didn't have to wipe it, but I'll suppose I'll get it done in these days.

Thanks for your reply!

/*Passport SQW100-1*/
    09-12-18 08:10 AM
    Hi there. Just turn on my PB first time from summer 2016, and it's still damn good.

But i have an BB ID login issue becouse out-of-dated QueVadis Issued CA 2 certificate .

Does any one have that kind of issue? Or new version of cert? Wanna use my PB,
    but this issue is annoying me.
    09-15-18 06:02 PM
    Hi there

I use my PB 16 for reading pdf using Acrobat.... however I really want Sporadic Software PDF Reader or/and qpdf.... but they are no longer in the Blackberry store!

I searched everywhere on line for these... REALLY need and would keep my PB going a few more years, may evem buy a cheap 64GB if I can get this software?

Any ideas!
    Thanks

Lenka
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    09-23-18 02:51 PM
    NikolaRus

I have the same problem... export certs from Firefox, added them to my PB certs directory but the PB cannot see them (.crt) to import them.... this stops me using Public WiFi hotspots!!

Lenka
    09-23-18 02:53 PM
    (1) book reader: tech book as reference, goes with dictionary.
    (2) youtube lesson from open course university - via web browser
    (3) file editing - doc to go write stuff on the wim
    (4) calculator - including unit conversion - used more than I thought
    (5) map - planet (night sky) tracking for Mars and some times, space station. on earth, still have my favorite cities map (no google tracking), shanghai, orlando, paris, toronto and vienna from tripadvisor (old map, but still ok).
    (6) something to play with: business analysis tool box, the option lab, periodic table, and metal sniffer...
    (7) video recording - great for concert and recital (as long as lighting is good... good for outdoor matching band... or camping short video).. view on TV monitor...not use it to download movie - wifi only.
    (8) music player (not use much, still like my old ipod mini v2). speaker is good...
    etc. so far, PB is kicking (4 all actively used).
    jamesharmeling and dmlis like this.
    09-23-18 04:44 PM
    i had 16gb, one of the first released. it bit the dust less than 2 years later. my 32gb playbook is still going strong (fingers crossed). i have great a book reader and an huge library on it. it is a life safer for all the materials i need when traveling overseas. also used for video recording- great sound and pic quality. even pull emails on occasion. in fact, a stewardess dropped it on my last flight to europe. it went flying between the window and the seat, the screen cracked, but otherwise pb is fine. it is so old, i am weary about replacing the screen, just dont want to mess with good old pb.
    10-24-18 05:53 PM
    I have a very barely used 16GB PB with OEM case, quick charger, regular charger, OEM case with keyboard. would this be worth $80 to anyone?
    10-24-18 07:00 PM
    I have a very barely used 16GB PB with OEM case, quick charger, regular charger, OEM case with keyboard. would this be worth $80 to anyone?
    Not in your wildest dreams lol.
    10-24-18 07:35 PM
    wow this thread is still alive? I recently noticed a 16gb PB sell for $20 Cdn. 32GB PB for $45, 64 for $60 and a 32GB LTE (with Sim) $75
    10-24-18 10:34 PM
    Didn't think so but wanted to confirm before it goes in Tuesday's garbage.
    10-25-18 05:41 AM
    might want to donate to a child maybe? I did to a few
    10-25-18 11:14 AM
    Since2007, what a waste, never put an outfit like that in the garbage, at least give it to GoodWill or see if a local pawn shop will give you anything for it. I don't know if you are in Canada, especially Ontario, but list it on Kijiji with a Best Offer as the price, you never know.
    10-27-18 01:04 PM
    If it's not worth $80 then it's garbage? Man, you must be rich.
    Like another poster said, if you don't need the cash, at least donate it to somewhere. A tablet which is quite capable of playing videos and music is worth something to someone.
    jamesharmeling and Cracklen like this.
    10-28-18 11:12 AM
    Yep' still use my Playbook(s) .

Plural as I was given 2, and that was timely as my initial unit (64 1st gen) was/is expressing batt' problems. #2 has also started expressing that it can't hold a charge for longer than 30ish hrs. which is no big deal ... just have to monitor it as it is not very impressive when ya are woken up in middle of night hearing it beeping due to low batt' levels ( feeed me !)

Yeah tooo many products are prematurely tossed into landfills that could be first offered to thrift stores, some other organization, or if actually dead electronics e-cycle !
    Sadly, (seemingly) so much easier for some to bounce into a garbage can
    10-31-18 10:51 AM
    Still charged up and occasional used to surf but its not quite as snappy as it used to be and certain websites no longer function like secured banking sites. Speakers and video are still good.
    11-02-18 09:59 PM
    I still use it for my toddler to watch videos, great to use in the car!
    Still great as a media player.
    11-08-18 01:53 AM
685 ... 2021222324 ...