Just found my wifes old Playbook in a storage box, so looking forward to re-discovering this toy :-)
    Need to overcome the non charging issue first, found some threads here and it 'looks' like it's finally starting to take a charge, will find out in a few hours

Hello by the way, didn't realise there's so many others who are using the playbook in anger
    08-03-17 12:36 AM
    What arrangement do you use for networking these three as movie/av clients in your vehicle? Some sort of simple router and some sort of portable movie/av server device, then the playbooks' built in native video client app? Do all three kids get to watch their own or do they have to watch a single stream?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Sorry, spell check auto corrected to say network for some reason. They aren't networked and are stand alone movie players with movies loaded locally.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-17 10:17 AM
    Sorry to hijack this thread.
    Till some days ago I was using an El cheapo android 5.1.1 tablet (quad core rockship processor 1.2GHz, 1gb family,8gb,8' 1280x800) which broke.
    I only use it as ereader (not much more because it was also slow).
    I found a 64gb playbook as new for 40eur, do you think it would be nice ereader? With the original system would it be slow?
    08-23-17 04:17 AM
    eReaders don't take a lot of processing from what I understand so I can't imagine it not being suitable for that purpose. However, I am not sure what eReader apps might still be out there for the PlayBook and whether or not those versions are still compatible with the various eReader ecosystems. You'd probably want to look around the other PlayBook threads or do some internet searches about "PlayBook as an eReader" to ensure you are informed enough.
    skinniezinho likes this.
    08-23-17 09:24 PM
    eReaders don't take a lot of processing from what I understand so I can't imagine it not being suitable for that purpose. However, I am not sure what eReader apps might still be out there for the PlayBook and whether or not those versions are still compatible with the various eReader ecosystems. You'd probably want to look around the other PlayBook threads or do some internet searches about "PlayBook as an eReader" to ensure you are informed enough.
    Thanks for your answer. I've already done some research and from what I've found kobo app works and kindle sideloaded also works.
    I've another question, I have some bought some android apps (sygic gps, maverick gps, fbreader premium, etc) is is possible to have playstore installed for them to check the license?
    Or the only bet is to download patched (and Android 2.3 compatible) versions of it and convert to bar?
    08-24-17 06:22 AM
    @skinniezinho

The playbook runs kobo fine. The glitch is finding ebooks on kobo that run on Blackberry. Don't hit buy on any kobo book until you scroll down to see if the BlackBerry logo is among android apple etc.

I love my PB - own 2 - but BB isn't very popular and I find its mostly British or European authors who include the BlackBerry option. It's for that reason alone that I contemplate a kindle or iPad, but not a priority.

I have an eReader on the PB I use for kobo - I haven't figured out where to purchase books for it or how to get them into the reader's library. One of these days... too busy meeting deadlines and also turning pages or reading old faves on the PB...
    : )

Posted via CB10
    08-24-17 07:46 AM
    Thanks for your answer. I've already done some research and from what I've found kobo app works and kindle sideloaded also works.
    I've another question, I have some bought some android apps (sygic gps, maverick gps, fbreader premium, etc) is is possible to have playstore installed for them to check the license?
    Or the only bet is to download patched (and Android 2.3 compatible) versions of it and convert to bar?
    I am not aware of any sort of Playstore setup ever working on the Playbook. I wouldn't think you'd be able to take advantage of your Playstore purchases (from presumably through an android device) for running on the Playbook. I think that some people have had some success with apk to bar converters but in my limited experience success is limited. There used to be a handful of alternate sites where you could get Playbook bar files, some tested as successfully converted from apks and successfully confirmed also as compatible/functioning. I have only ever had limited success with those (although again my experience was limited). The "good ereader" used to be a decent source. I have heard that some people do not like eReaders with glossy glass screens. You might want to keep that in mind also.

If you truly want to use the Playbook as only an eReader, I am sure there are others that are happily doing just that. However, their setup might not be what you want/expect.
    08-24-17 08:16 PM
    Need to figure out a way to put Linux on it.
    08-30-17 06:16 AM
    I use it as white noise for my new baby lol

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    09-06-17 05:09 PM
    Yes, I love my playbook. It's got a far better sound quality than my ipad and I use it for Deezer all the time (yes the app still works) and a load of other things beside. Still great for email
    andy957 and muzeek like this.
    09-17-17 03:04 AM
    Still great for reading e-mails in the integrated hub, keeping contacts and appointments, watching shows and movies, writing texts on the go and a host of other functions. The browsers avilable are severely oudated but I can still surf reasonably well albeit much more slowly than on newer devices.

I still love the solid feel, the quality of image and sound, the decent optional keyboard and integrated touchpad for navigating without greasing up ny screen with fingermarks. I appreciate the 7 inch size so text is easy to read but the unit is still relatively portable and can fit in a jacket pocket.

I haven't found anything out there that really does all that a playBook does with such elegance and solidity so I'll keep using it until it is no longer useable.
    AladarMezga likes this.
    09-17-17 09:35 PM
    I still use it as a beautiful Playstation Emulator device.
    09-25-17 04:28 AM
    I still use mine

Posted via CB10
    09-27-17 04:20 AM
    The Apollo app stopped working so I went to uninstall only to find that it wasn't available in BlackBerry World any longer. It's still on my charging dock readily available for other simple tasks.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-17 04:51 AM
    What was the Apollo app?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    09-27-17 05:24 PM
    I want to like mine but it refuses to save WiFi settings and I cannot save any appointments in my calendar. Tough to use in that state other than simple browsing.

Don't suppose anyone has a fix for my problems?
    09-29-17 11:11 PM
    I have five of them (yes, 5! When you can pick up a 64GB for $50, why not?) and use all of them constantly. One is used as a clock (Antair Nightstand), one is a photo slideshow viewer and the other three are for each floor of the house to do emails, check radar for weather, play music, play videos, etc. I use the 64GB for biz, for carrying all my deals as PDF's. I also emulate my listing websites on it so I can still show them without Wifi. I bridge them to my phone when I'm at the cottage. I keep nature documentaries on it as well in case I'm early for appointments, etc. All of them get used a lot, all are in great working order, all ports working, etc. Just can't beat the quality.
    10-02-17 09:04 AM
    What was the Apollo app?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    This was an early 3rd party Pandora, which I think still works on my first Z30 and my playbooks, but it's been a little while since I checked.

It simply shows your playlists and plays them, pretty amazing. Also shows any new updates you've made from a Pandora app elsewhere.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-17 02:38 PM
    I want to like mine but it refuses to save WiFi settings and I cannot save any appointments in my calendar. Tough to use in that state other than simple browsing.

Don't suppose anyone has a fix for my problems?
    Have you tried a security wipe? If you have been doing backups, you can restore all your files and settings from the backup. If nothing is worth keeping, then the security wipe gets you to a fresh install and that usually solves problems like those you describe.
    10-05-17 08:55 PM
    My battery won't charge, would like to buy a new one. Where'd you get your 64?

Posted via CB10
    10-10-17 05:51 PM
    Only ebay is the only source unfortunately.
    10-20-17 05:57 AM
    Have you tried a security wipe? If you have been doing backups, you can restore all your files and settings from the backup. If nothing is worth keeping, then the security wipe gets you to a fresh install and that usually solves problems like those you describe.
    Ah well, that really screwed it up! I did the whole reset thing and ended up with 2.1 but missing a ton of the default apps.
    To make matters worse, I can't even restore my backup. It starts then it just bails and says it failed, no reason given. I've restored in the past no problem.
    Now I'm stuck with a near bare PlayBook with very little apps...
    10-22-17 12:06 AM
    Which app do you need? Missing app can be sideloaded.
    10-22-17 05:51 AM
    Ah well, that really screwed it up! I did the whole reset thing and ended up with 2.1 but missing a ton of the default apps.
    To make matters worse, I can't even restore my backup. It starts then it just bails and says it failed, no reason given. I've restored in the past no problem.
    Now I'm stuck with a near bare PlayBook with very little apps...
    Indeed, missing apps can be sideloaded. Those that were available in the Blackberry store can be reloaded from Backberry's "my store" tab.
    10-22-17 07:11 AM
    Which app do you need? Missing app can be sideloaded.
    One thing I need immediately is the Video Chat. That's not on BB World.
    I found a 2.0 bar but can't sort out how to sideload it as it seems the tools broke for 2.1

Any ideas?
    10-23-17 12:20 AM
685 ... 1516171819 ...