I noticed today that I am not getting any audio if I don't have a headphone plugged into the jack. I was using the jack for sometime the other day. Now if I plug in a headphone, I can hear the audio, but if I remove it, no audio. I tried restarting the playbook but to no avail. Could it be a hardware issue? Anyone seen this?
    05-16-11 09:52 PM
    I'ts not my intent to come across as a wise-guy, but have you tried those +/- buttons on the top of your PB?
    Failing that, try going to the tools section under 'sounds'.
    05-16-11 10:01 PM
    Yep tried all those. I am getting audio if I plug in a headset. When I remove it, the audio does not come through the playbook stereo speakers.
    05-16-11 10:05 PM
    1. reboot
    2. call RIM
    3. exchange or return
    4. send to RIM for repair or replacement
    05-16-11 10:16 PM
    05-16-11 11:37 PM
    Good Luck....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/ca...rience-615702/
    05-16-11 11:49 PM
    i just got my playbook yesterday,tried to plug in three different types of headphones and none worked. i now think it is a hardware issue.... anyone has heard if this is common?
    05-22-11 02:39 AM
    I just used my headphones for the first time last night. I was dismayed when there was no sound. Then I realized I had to use the +/- buttons to turn up the volume. Which surprised me because the speakers were loud enough, but with headphones the sound was at zero when I plugged them in.
    ultra07 likes this.
    05-22-11 02:59 AM
    This issue might be pretty much software-based.

It happens to iPhone, iPad, iPod etc. too.

Make sure there is no dust left in the jack - or any other dirt. This can trigger the jack and the software might think all the time that your headset is plugged in. Blow some air in the (if you have, high-pressure)

Another idea: plug in the headset, play a song and remove the headset while playing - do this a few times. Maybe the software bug is caused by something else.
    05-22-11 03:04 AM
    I don't call them..I used the form on the webpage indicated and found
    them very useful and knowledgeable.

Might not be the same folks answering the phone as responding to the
    email/form submissions.

Tim
    05-22-11 09:22 AM
    i just got my playbook yesterday,tried to plug in three different types of headphones and none worked. i now think it is a hardware issue.... anyone has heard if this is common?
    Intermittent issue with mine.

Does seem to be hardware based..Don't see it being a software issue
    as it seems to be a contact point issue between the BB plug and the headphone plug.

Tim
    05-22-11 09:25 AM
    To get the sound from the headphones, you need to use the + button on top of the Playbook. Even though sound is loud from the Playbook speakers, when you use the head phones, you have to press that + button. When you do that, a volume slide will be displayed and you can adjust your volume for the head set.
    06-05-11 11:59 AM
    I found this issue 2 days after I got PB.
    To solve the problem, you have to re-plug into the jack and remove it again. It will be fixed. I agree it looks like software bug not hardware.
    By the way, this never happens to iphone or ipad. Apple is very good at this part. They can even stop the music playing when you remove the the headphone(both traditional headphone or bluetooth) so you won't feel embarrassed if you lost the connection by accident.
    06-05-11 12:16 PM
    I found this issue 2 days after I got PB.
    To solve the problem, you have to re-plug into the jack and remove it again. It will be fixed. I agree it looks like software bug not hardware.
    By the way, this never happens to iphone or ipad. Apple is very good at this part. They can even stop the music playing when you remove the the headphone(both traditional headphone or bluetooth) so you won't feel embarrassed if you lost the connection by accident.
    that's not true. Read my response to this thread - I worked for Apple (support as well) for more than a decade. I know what I'm talking about - common issue actually.
    06-05-11 01:10 PM
    that's not true. Read my response to this thread - I worked for Apple (support as well) for more than a decade. I know what I'm talking about - common issue actually.
    Whatever, iDevices have their issues and that's why I'm here but nothing like this one. I have used iphone and ipad with earbugs on a daily basis for two years. They work just fine.
    06-05-11 01:28 PM
    you sure you have a blackberry? they had that since the first pearl (my 1st bb) and also on playbook...
    and the speakers and headset have their own volume controls as others have stated, i had that problem on my macbook once it was stuck on digital and would not play tru headphones i used a qtip dipped in rubbin alco spun the cotton part between my fingers to make it smooth and squeeze out the rest of liquid then gently gave it a twirl in the head set port. connections could be dirty or even a hair or fuz/lint etc can get in there it happens, less so on something that has headsets plugged in all or most of the time..
    Last edited by pcguy514; 02-18-12 at 03:31 PM.
    02-18-12 03:21 PM
    I have the same problem with the headsetjack.

Still have no permanent fix for it...

But if you don't have speaker sound, you can try to press hard on the top right corner where the headset jack is while playing some music( local music will pause so you will not know if it worked or not, so I recommend playing a youtube vid because is continues to play if you plug or unplug a headset.)

This is a hardware problem, or for me it is...
    Still have to contact RIM about it...

Please reply if my solution worked or not, or if you have the same audio problem...

My appolegies for my bad english, greets from the Netherlands

--------------

Running Playbook OS 2.0 with bold 9700 - Typed this post with BlackBerry Remote ^^
    03-05-12 07:06 PM
    I had sound issues with one speaker after using the headphone jack. I even ended up sending the playbook into RIM to have the problem checked out. Nothing was found and every thing was fine by the time it ended up at the repair depo. It has not acted up since but i never found what the problem was.
    03-05-12 07:41 PM
    I'll have to try this as well. As I bought my girlfriend a Playbook a few weeks ago, and I went to plug in some external speakers, and there was no sound. Thought maybe it needed a Blackberry headset or external speakers. I'll try this for sure.
    04-04-12 01:17 PM
    I also have a problem with the headphonejack, when I plug headphones in I hear only sound coming out the right headphone. There's no problem with the headphones, with other devices it works fine, it's just the PlayBook. Is this a hardware problem that I can solve by myself?
    05-02-12 08:16 AM
    I just used my headphones for the first time last night. I was dismayed when there was no sound. Then I realized I had to use the +/- buttons to turn up the volume. Which surprised me because the speakers were loud enough, but with headphones the sound was at zero when I plugged them in.
    You will notive that they are 2 completely different volumes, doesn't matter what your speaker volume was set to, as soon as a head set is plugged in the +/- now control specifically the HEADSET VOLUME
    12-06-12 07:57 AM
    Just had this problem and found a fix for it. Blow hard into the headphone jack a few times as there is dust trapped in there and it should work again. Tried this after getting tired of trying other ways to fix it and worked like a charm. Hope this helps! Cheers!
    05-05-13 01:27 AM
    Some of the problems with the playbook are loose connections inside, I opened the casing of a playbook with the same issue and one of the connections on the motherboard needed re-attaching.
    06-10-15 03:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD