So this weekend, my playbook was on the charger and the cat jumped up and knocked off and it hit the wood floor flat on the glass.

Everything works but the glass now has several cracks in it and I was hoping someone knows if the glass can be replaced.

THanks
    Walter.
    03-19-12 10:45 AM
    You're probably going to have to send it to RIM, I don't think there's a repair shop for the PlayBook.....give them a call to be sure
    03-19-12 10:51 AM
    Or you can try to repair it yourself if you are keen enough to do it.

03-19-12 10:55 AM
    DESCRIPTION OF PER INSTANCE FEE(S)
    16GB BlackBerry PlayBook
    32GB BlackBerry PlayBook
    64GB BlackBerry PlayBook
    USD*
    CAD*
    USD*
    CAD*
    USD*
    CAD*
    Repair fee where Your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet is returned to and repaired by RIM or RIM’s authorized service provider and is not covered by the BlackBerry PlayBook Limited Warranty.
    $99
    $99
    $125
    $125
    $149
    $149
    Repair fee where You receive an Advanced Exchange BlackBerry PlayBook tablet from RIM or RIM’s authorized service provider and Your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet returned to RIM or RIM’s authorized service provider is not covered by the BlackBerry PlayBook Limited Warranty and repaired by RIM or RIM’s authorized service provider.
    $99
    $99
    $125
    $125
    $149
    $149
    Replacement fee where You fail to return Your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet to RIM or RIM’s authorized service provider within ten (10) business days from the date You receive return packaging, including the Advanced Exchange BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, from RIM or RIM’s authorized service provider (“Replacement AE Fee”)
    $199
    $199
    $249
    $249
    $299
    $299
    Replacement fee where You receive an Advanced Exchange BlackBerry PlayBook tablet from RIM or RIM’s authorized service provider and Your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet returned to RIM or RIM’s authorized service provider is not covered by the BlackBerry PlayBook Limited Warranty and determined by RIM or RIM’s authorized service provider to be Beyond Repair.
    $199
    $199
    $249
    $249
    $299
    $299
    *Prices noted above do not include applicable taxes.

Here is a list of their repair fees. I would think broken glass is not "beyond repair", so the second one from the top indicates $99-$149 depending on the size may just give you a new screen. I'd call and ask.
    03-19-12 11:01 AM
    Well, I'm sure if you Google it you can find many places to replace it for you or to replace it yourself.
    03-19-12 11:02 AM
    I have seen a few mention they had glass replaced at cell phone repair shops. If I remeber correctly it was around 100$
    03-19-12 11:06 AM
    I have replaced the glass on my Playbook.

I used the video from directfix.

Note: The video ends before he shows you how to actually remove the glass on the front. It is glued/taped to the bezel frame and is the most difficult part of the process.

It is a terrible experience haha. Any other part on the Playbook would have been a breeze to repair(batt, LCD, etc) but you have to deconstruct it from back to front, so by the time you have the glass front off, the Playbook is in pieces.

I ended up not getting a proper seal on the top right corner and so it sticks out a bit (my own impatience at putting it back together I am sure) So I put a case on it, gave it to my brother and bought myself a shiny new one.

In my opinion, it is worth buying a new one. But its up to you. Please let us know what you end up doing!
    Last edited by dusdal; 03-19-12 at 11:18 AM. Reason: put ifixit instead of directfix
    h20work and fasteddyktm like this.
    03-19-12 11:18 AM
    Digitizer Touch Screen for BlackBerry PlayBook #Only $57.61 + High Quality Guarantee !

Use the YouTube link above for how to, or search YouTube its quite easy
    03-19-12 11:20 AM
    Thanks everyone, I will contact RIM first and see what the cost is, I'm not scared of trying it myself though based upon the video above.

Although to be clear it is the glass not the digitizer that is busted the screen is in perfect condition.
    Last edited by hemertwv; 03-19-12 at 12:12 PM.
    03-19-12 12:06 PM
    If you can find the digitizer with frame already attached it should be much easier.
    PH-TOU-BB-062 Touch Screen Digitizer with Frame for BlackBerry PlayBook

I don't have any experience with this seller.
    03-19-12 12:14 PM
    03-19-12 12:16 PM
    Deal extreme is good but it can sometimes take months to get your stuff and then other stuff shows up in a week.
    03-19-12 12:44 PM
    Thanks everyone, I will contact RIM first and see what the cost is, I'm not scared of trying it myself though based upon the video above.

Although to be clear it is the glass not the digitizer that is busted the screen is in perfect condition.
    It is my understanding that the digitizer is part of the glass.
    03-19-12 12:55 PM
    So I spent 18 bucks on one of those screen protectors for my playbook just to roll it up into a ball and throw that crap in the trash after multiple attempts to place it just right I kept getting more bubbles with each attempt I finally got frustrated and grab the stupid plastic and got rid of it, I was so mad I didn't know where to vent, I have installed other protectors with no problems but this one just wouldn't cooperate stupid piece of manure, thanks for reading. Regards.
    03-19-12 01:27 PM
    It is my understanding that the digitizer is part of the glass.
    Yes I believe so
    03-19-12 02:27 PM
    Deal extreme is good but it can sometimes take months to get your stuff and then other stuff shows up in a week.
    True they can take a while. I found the trick to be: order a quantity of 3 of anything (cheap nick-nack) with your order to get the option to air mail for under $2.
    03-19-12 03:25 PM
    So I spent 18 bucks on one of those screen protectors for my playbook just to roll it up into a ball and throw that crap in the trash after multiple attempts to place it just right I kept getting more bubbles with each attempt I finally got frustrated and grab the stupid plastic and got rid of it, I was so mad I didn't know where to vent, I have installed other protectors with no problems but this one just wouldn't cooperate stupid piece of manure, thanks for reading. Regards.
    Hey! Honestly. Try my advice and your world will be blown. I bought a Write right, cheap cheap $10 for two screen protector. Now, take a nice hot shower, or if you are already feeling clean, run the shower hot(poor environment, I know). Get it nice and foggy, now wait about 5 minutes, maybe 10 for some of that moisture to settle. Take your PB, I recommend turning it off, so you can wipe that screen good without launching 1000 applications. Use the light, make sure that screen doesn't have one spec of dust on it. The humidity will create a dust-free environment, whatever you take off won't fly back on. Now put your protector on. I did this, and it went FLAWLESSLY. I was honestly shocked, not a single bubble on first application.

A little work for a lot less hassle.

Seriously try it, let me know how it goes.
    03-19-12 06:58 PM

What's the status now?
    My 64GB PL is also cracked the "glass". Touch screen still works fine.
    I am thinking of selling it for cheap or should i replace the glass?
    06-06-12 05:19 PM
    Your choice. If you don't mind a little careful and tedious hands on, replace it. I have one I'm about to replace myself. I've done it on phones with no issues and have the PB apart now. Waiting on the digitizer. Separating from the frame isn't too bad. Use a heat gun to loosen the glue but be very careful.
    06-06-12 06:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD