I've read several news articles over the past week asking if the Playbook will revive RIM. Since Best Buy & Staples have been accepting pre-orders I'm curious if anyone has seen any pre-order figures.

I doubt anyone here or even at RIM expect the response the iPad2 got it's first weekend, but I would think that everyone is hoping better sales then the Xoom or Galaxy showed.
    04-11-11 06:23 AM
    We were wondering the same thing this weekend. My buddy read that,I think it was sunlife but do not quote me on that, bought 100000 for their reps. If this is true and I can see first week with preorders being higher than we really expect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-11 07:03 AM
    We were wondering the same thing this weekend. My buddy read that,I think it was sunlife but do not quote me on that, bought 100000 for their reps. If this is true and I can see first week with preorders being higher than we really expect.

Given the way the news media will spin any news to fit there way of thinking I am guessing they will leave out large orders by 1 company.

They will try to focus on the consumer purchases because that is probably a better story.
    04-11-11 07:36 AM
    I'm going to fancy a guess and say 225,000 units sold by the weekend.
    04-11-11 07:40 AM
    Yep, I've heard a couple of people mention they went to BB or staples or Sears and they were the 1st in store pre-order for that location.
    04-11-11 07:57 AM
    I'm going to fancy a guess and say 225,000 units sold by the weekend.
    It would be sweet if more playbooks sold the opening weekend than the xoom has sold since launch, which by last accounts was a paultry 100,000

04-11-11 09:06 AM

I've heard a number of rumors about large corporate orders...

But with RIM still only showing Pre-release versions of the PlayBook at Events they are hosting. Not sure how IT departments have been able to test the PlayBook and evaluate its use within a company's network. Would not want to be the guy that order 100,000 devices based on the little information that is out right now.
    04-11-11 09:35 AM
    Would not want to be the guy that order 100,000 devices based on the little information that is out right now.
    I don't think "that guy" is stalking Best Buys to see when a semi-RIM rep will be there to place his order on what they know. If it was :built by CIOs for CIOs" I would assume "that guy" would be one of those CIOs
    04-11-11 10:04 AM
    I've heard a number of rumors about large corporate orders...

But with RIM still only showing Pre-release versions of the PlayBook at Events they are hosting. Not sure how IT departments have been able to test the PlayBook and evaluate its use within a company's network. Would not want to be the guy that order 100,000 devices based on the little information that is out right now.

You think they just went ahead and ordered them? These large players get to evaluate them under NDA.
    04-11-11 10:00 PM
    i was at sear today.. they said they're almost sold out of the pre-orders theyve takne
    04-11-11 10:12 PM
    This should be the next contest on Crackberry....Price is Right rules.
    04-11-11 10:31 PM
    I really hope PlayBook does well. When I was at Future Shop on the weekend testing out the PlayBook and I was the only one there and the RIM rep was mistaken for a Future Shop employee and customers were asking him about the Xoom.

04-11-11 10:56 PM
    I called my closest Future Shop today in dt Toronto because I am yet to reorder one (after the Staples fiasco) to wonder if it is truly necessary to preorder a Playbook. She advised me that their first shipment would likely be almost filled with preorders and that if i want to guarantee one on that day, I should come and preorder. Seemed to be alot of hype at this future shop surrounding preorders.

Im still yet to re-preorder, I think I am just going to go Playbook shopping on the 19th.
    04-11-11 11:00 PM
    I pre-ordered at Best Buy (64Gb baby-cakes) but they made sure to let me know that I was NOT guaranteed one on opening day due to all of the pre-orders. I won't know for sure I am getting one until that day...

... of course, if they don't have one when they open at 10 am, I'm off to Staples, OfficeMax, AT&T store, Sprint Store, Verizon Store...
    04-12-11 03:28 AM
    I pre-ordered at Best Buy (64Gb baby-cakes) but they made sure to let me know that I was NOT guaranteed one on opening day due to all of the pre-orders. I won't know for sure I am getting one until that day...
    This is an interesting statement, as I specifically asked the sales associate at bestbuy to ensure since I went to this trouble of pre-ordering that I would be guarenteed one on launch day. They told me a definent YES, since I had pre-ordered I would be receiving my playbook on that day, as it would be tagged with my name and kept in the store room until my arrival.

Any one else have a different story of when they preordered their playbooks?
    04-12-11 11:56 AM
    I went to the Futureshop on Dundas and was told that there were tons of pre-orders. I have yet to pre-order mine, I thought I can walk in on the first day, if that's not the case then maybe I should pre-order one.

But then again, there are plenty of stores Downtown that will carry the PlayBook including BestBuy, Sears, Futureshop, Staples and maybe even The Source, though I would never buy anything from The Source. I think I made my feelings known about The Source in a previous post.
    04-12-11 12:52 PM
    I went to the Futureshop on Dundas and was told that there were tons of pre-orders. I have yet to pre-order mine, I thought I can walk in on the first day, if that's not the case then maybe I should pre-order one.

But then again, there are plenty of stores Downtown that will carry the PlayBook including BestBuy, Sears, Futureshop, Staples and maybe even The Source, though I would never buy anything from The Source. I think I made my feelings known about The Source in a previous post.
    Thats the FS I was referring to. They told me the same info on the phone.

I am not preordering. I'm going to go to FS that morning and if they have one, I will get it. If not, on that corner, there is Sears, Bestbuy on bay and dundas.

I am getting on that day. Some where. I will go all over the GTA if need be. First stop FS dundas square though.
    04-12-11 01:04 PM
    Thats the FS I was referring to. They told me the same info on the phone.

I am not preordering. I'm going to go to FS that morning and if they have one, I will get it. If not, on that corner, there is Sears, Bestbuy on bay and dundas.

I am getting on that day. Some where. I will go all over the GTA if need be. First stop FS dundas square though.
    I live Downtown, I am also going to FS on Dundas, if they're sold out, then I'll make the rounds throughout the Downtown area, however I'm not going to venture beyond the Downtown area simply because I don't have a metro pass and I refuse to pay 3 bucks to ride the subway.
    04-12-11 01:10 PM
    I live Downtown, I am also going to FS on Dundas, if they're sold out, then I'll make the rounds throughout the Downtown area, however I'm not going to venture beyond the Downtown area simply because I don't have a metro pass and I refuse to pay 3 bucks to ride the subway.
    I was exagorating, but I will be mainly looking dt. I live only 10 mintes from eaton centre
    04-12-11 01:19 PM
    For anyone reading this in the final few hours, I just pre-ordered from FS in North York. I didn't think it would be necessary, but yes, I panicked. I NEED one tomorrow at 7!!

Anyway, I picked up the 32GB and the guy told me they will only have 16 total at that store (I'm assuming that's 16x 32GB, but he didn't specify) and that they have 2 pre-orders so far (not sure if he was counting me or not). So make of that what you will.
    04-18-11 05:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD