I read on my PB quite a bit. I use the Kobo app in night mode (reverse video) and find it quite nice.
    03-06-12 08:27 PM
    I'm a paperback reader but wanted a tablet. My spouse has the original Kindle. Looked at buying a Kindle Fire or Playbook. Compared the two and the Playbook wins. I bought one last week. Loving it. Does everything I want and can read books from Overdrive or Kobo. Very happy!
    03-06-12 09:11 PM
    I have had the Sony dreaded and the ipad and since I bought the BP I have been frustrated. I have 100's of books collected in lit or epub format and cannot find a reader app that will work. I could put the books in pdf or txt but then I can't enlarge print or bookmark. Any suggestions?
    02-02-13 09:59 PM
    I find the size of the PB works well for reading manga online. The excellent browser is another advantage for accessing sites like Mange reader. The pages fit on the PB screen quite nicely in portrait mode. It's a nice reading experience! I read the entire Claymore series on my PB
    02-02-13 10:20 PM
    I love to read so I am thinking of buying a Kindle or a Playbook or even an ~7" Android Tablet but my concern is the LCD on those tablets.

Those backlight LCD generally tends to make our eyes sleepy and I know Kindle E-Ink is the best out there for a book replacement but is it worth the compromise.

So since Playbook has its "own" Kindle application (or will have its own official app), what do you guys think?

Is reading on Playbook comfortable / bearable for a long time?

- Charles
    I have both. The Android Kindle App sideloaded on my PB and a Kindle 3G. I used to love my Kindle 3G until I got the App loaded. Now I find myself using the PB for everything and the Kindle 3G has been reduce to a paperweight. In the summer I use the Kindle 3G when I'm out in the yard, but for the most part I'm thinking of selling it. I also have Zinio loaded on the PB so I get all my magazines and newspapers on it now too.
    02-02-13 10:27 PM
    I'm the same, have kobo and kindle and vinio. I find the screen too small for vinio magazines, but love reading books, haven't bought a hardcopy in over a year now. night mode on the kobo is great. I set it to portrait, lock the orientation, and good to go. the battery drawdown for kobo also seems really low too.

fun trick, did you know you can flip pages by flicking to the left or right anywhere on the page? no need to press the right side to turn. great for one handed reading and just a thumb to turn back and forth.

the other hand is holding a scotch, you sick weirdos
    02-03-13 07:30 AM
    I use the Playbook for all my reading. Since purchase in September 2012 I have read in excess of 50 books. I installed (for �0.99) Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle books. For cheap good value ebooks I use (Authors Collection : Ebook Store, the best books for you). Gutenburg Project is a good starter as is Feedbooks.

Hope this helps all interested.

Regards

Ross
    02-03-13 09:01 AM
    I was gifted my Playbook (I'd previously thought about buying a cheaper Kindle but didn't want to be tied to Amazon for books and movies). One situation I didn't want to end up in was having various multi-purpose devices to carry around, and the PB is my perfect solution.
    02-03-13 09:18 AM
    I love reading with my Playbook, I have owned 4 different ereaders and for my particular needs the Playbook is best. I prefer to read in bed, sometimes for hours on end. This way I can do so and not disturb my wife by keeping a light on.

I particularly like that, for the price of a bare bones ereader I got Premium tablet. Bridged with a Blackberry phone it has no equal.

P.S. The Book Reader app is great
    02-03-13 10:04 AM
    Book Reader works fine for epub
    02-03-13 10:12 AM
    I had never used an e-reader before buying my Playbook, so I can't compare it to anything else. However, I can say that over the last few months, my Playbook has reintroduced me to the joy of reading. Originally I sideloaded the Kindle app and used it for some time, but found that it would freeze up on me occasionally when opening up the app and forcing me to log into my Kindle account. It didn't happen all the time, but enough that the annoyance led me to try Book Reader and PlayEpub from BB Appworld. Both are great apps, although I will say I miss the Kindle's pop-up dictionary feature (glad to hear that BB10 includes a Kindle app, so I'll eventually get this facility back).

I mostly read indoors, use the sepia background, and adjust the screen brightness; never had any trouble with eyestrain.
    02-03-13 03:11 PM
    I love reading on my PB. I use the overdrive app with the screen brightness all the way down and the background page color can be changed to an off white. Font size can be changed also. I've never tried any other readers so can't compare but it actually beats paper... except for the new book smell I miss sometimes.
    Good call, regards the overdrive app!! I just installed that, and set it up with my local library, and now I can borrow loads of ebooks for free. It'll take me age to read that lot. Nice One!
    02-04-13 12:08 PM
    I have had the Sony dreaded and the ipad and since I bought the BP I have been frustrated. I have 100's of books collected in lit or epub format and cannot find a reader app that will work. I could put the books in pdf or txt but then I can't enlarge print or bookmark. Any suggestions?
    I also have a Sony reader and a Playbook.

For epubs, what I do is use Book Reader (by Untangled Dev) from the App Store. It's mostly usable. The two things I don't like about it are 1) counting pages separately in each separate html file in the book, and 2) some hesitation or slowness when page turning sometimes.
    02-04-13 01:44 PM
    Get PDF Reader. Works great and has no problem with large files. It goes to where you were last when you open a file. You can bookmark and add notes. But note, it is an Android port.
    02-04-13 01:54 PM
    I read all the time on mine. I use Kobo for books I want to buy, Overdrive for books I want to check out from the local library, and Zinio for magazines (our library just started offering a huge selection for FREE on Zinio). Reading is easy and no awkward even numbered pages to deal with!
    02-04-13 02:17 PM
    I have the normal apps - Kindle, Kobo, Overdrive, Book Reader - but my new favourte is the Moon+ Reader Pro app, sideloaded. I like the interface and the page turn animations. It reads epub only.
    paradroid28 likes this.
    02-04-13 03:34 PM
    Once I added Book Reader to my Playbook, I stopped using my Sony eReader, because I did not want to carry both units (I travel frequently).

The PB is just fine for reading in all levels of brightness..

I would not buy a specifically PB as an eReader, but if you already have a PB, then Book Reader is excellent.
    02-04-13 04:07 PM
    I use my playbook to read all the time, for reading ebooks I use the playepub app, really nice app with page animation, translator and dictionary and more features, for reading manga i use the pocketmanga app, for pdfs i use the pdf reader app and for audiobooks the play a book app, all available on the appworld.
    02-04-13 04:09 PM
    I actually enjoy reading on my Playbook, yes kindles are more geared to reading but I say PlayBook is still nice to read on in my opinion.
    02-04-13 07:35 PM
    I wouldn't reccommend long reading sessions, but for 20 mins or so, it's fine. It is objective fact that backlit screens tire your eyes out more than reading on a printed page, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. An actual eink ereader is head and shoulders above any lit screen, but the playbook will do fine for short bursts.
    02-04-13 11:34 PM
    If you do a lot of reading and you have the light, then get an e-ink device. Short sessions the Playbook is fine, but e-Ink beats it hands down for portability, easy on the eyes etc. e-Ink is actually nice to read from.

The screen on the Playbook is very good, and easily handles text if you do want to use it.
    02-05-13 02:24 AM
    the best ereader app is one converted to bar. The moon reader app has real page turning like effects and it has the option to change paper backgrounds. i use the parchment like background for page turning myself. looks like an old spell book with clean text
    02-05-13 03:31 AM
    I've read many books on my PB, however reading in the dark or lowlight conditions often left me with a headache due to the back-lit screen. I've recently bought a Kindle PaperWhite and the experience is much better than the PB.

You will have no problem reading on the PB, it's a good size and weight and the screen is very clear, however you may struggle with eye strain. The other thing I noticed was how often I get distracted reading on the PB due to the other functionality. The PaperWhite however is a one trick pony, and it does that trick very well indeed.

If I could only have one device it would be the PB.
    02-05-13 07:07 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD