Well.. If you're talking about the screen quality.. Playbook is th best compare with other tablets.
    03-06-12 12:27 AM
    Reading on the Playbook? - Yes, I do it a lot. On either Kindle reader sideloaded or Kobo. Bought or from the library.

No one has mentioned the black background + white type that is also good for reading in total darkness. But everyone has their own preferences.

If you are stuck deciding - here's an idea. Check out the Playbook as a reader for FREE. You can try out Kobo or sideload Kindle reader. There are public library books that you can get with Kindle. ALso a bunch (400+) of free books for Kindle. After the trial, if you like the Playbook you can keep going. If you don't like it, then you can go buy a reader tablet (a readlet they should be called) and it didn't cost you much or anything to learn what you liked.
    03-06-12 12:43 AM
    I did for a couple of days before kindle became so unstable I had to uninstall it.
    03-06-12 01:32 AM
    I read on my Playbook. It's especially convenient when I travel, I don't need a laptop or an e-reader. It's the perfect all-in-one!
    03-06-12 01:57 AM
    Sure, I've heard and read plenty about the advantages and benefits of e-ink and dedicated e-readers *BUT* I personally can't justify the extra expense (and device clutter) of a Kindle, Nook, et al, especially when such a thing is practically a single purpose device. I just can't! I have a strong preference for multipurpose, all-in-one devices and e-readers just don't cut it, not for me.

As for reading on the PB, I personally find it quite useable. The screen is more than clear and sharp enough for the task. Perhaps backlit screens can be a bit fatiguing for many folks to read on but it doesn't bother me. Now that I can sideload the Kindle app on my PB, it makes it a far more complete device for me.
    Last edited by Bobcat665; 03-06-12 at 02:18 AM.
    03-06-12 02:16 AM
    I prefer all-in-one devices too. The only problem is - the same battery for everything you do. I am not a big fan of battery being consumed a lot for something as simple as reading. That's where the Kindle shines. If that is not an issue for you, PlayBook is good enough
    03-06-12 02:30 AM
  7. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Love the playbook 2.0!! ... do lots of reading on it also!
    03-06-12 03:14 AM
    I use my PB for reading sometimes but you'll have to play around with the brightness of the screen to be able to read comfortably on it for hours.
    It does saves money compared to single-function e-ink bookreaders.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    03-06-12 04:02 AM
    I've had a Sony Reader, a KOBO and a Padigital. As a pure reader the Sony was best however I have used nothing but the Playbook since I discovered the Book Reader app
    03-06-12 07:01 AM
    I read in low light conditions when it's warm outside and I'm sitting on the porch or rear deck, where lighting is more for security then for reading. This is where the PlayBook shines.
    03-06-12 07:08 AM
    I use Kobo for reading. It's not perfect but it does the job. I began reading more since I bought the PB. Light adjustment is good along with font adjustment.
    03-06-12 08:17 AM
    I read on both my Kindle & pb. There are advantages to both. The Kindle is lighter and as long as I'm in a well-lit environment it's a good experience. It requires a book light in darker situations and that makes for uneven lighting and sometimes a little frustration. I like reading on my pb and the black background with white text on Kobo is excellent. They also have a number of free books & their prices are comparable to Amazon. I also have some books in pdf format on my pb. Only frustration there is the lack of bookmarking so I have to record the page number when I stop reading. Guess it depends on how you plan to use it.
    03-06-12 08:47 AM
    I love my Playbook so much that I can't put it down or use it for reading. I have a few books on my Playbook, but I cannot finish any of them, and I usually read 1 book a week. For me, the Playbook is so distracting that I find myself doing things on the Playbook other than reading. I'm still trying though. I might just buy myself an e-reader just for reading, but I would probably have to leave my Playbook at home so I won't be tempted to grab my Playbook instead of the e-reader. I'm sure those that more disciplined have no problem using the Playbook for reading.
    03-06-12 08:55 AM
    I've never read from an e-ink device, but my PlayBook is excellent for me, i read in a funny way, a chapter here and there from different books so i usually have 4 books at a time on my table and i have to lug them around when i'm mobile, but Kindle and Book Reader have changed my life, i read a lot more now. A straight 2 hour read is no problem, the distractions from the emails etc are quite welcome for me, keeps everything lively. When i get bored or lose concentration, a quick swipe and bamm!! cut the rope, spiderman, modern combat, Vector runner, or watch a film, check my mail, check out crackberry etc etc etc
    03-06-12 09:15 AM
    Only frustration there is the lack of bookmarking so I have to record the page number when I stop reading. Guess it depends on how you plan to use it.
    Are you referring to the side-loaded Kindle app? The Kobo app auto-bookmarks where I close a book and you can dog-ear pages by tapping the top corner.
    03-06-12 09:43 AM
    Are you referring to the side-loaded Kindle app? The Kobo app auto-bookmarks where I close a book and you can dog-ear pages by tapping the top corner.
    No I was referring to pdf books I've read using the native Adobe Reader. It's very basic & lacks the functions to bookmark & highlight. Kobo is quite nice & I like it very much.
    03-06-12 09:52 AM
    I take great pleasure reading on my playbook.
    03-06-12 10:02 AM
    Bought my pb initially as an Ereader. Two hundred for a versatile reader was a good buy. I couldn't resist and got the 64gb at 300. Have read 4 books in three weeks. A record for me. Pb is great.
    03-06-12 10:22 AM
    I love reading on my PlayBook, i've read like 20 books using Book Reader without any issues, the 7" form factor is perfect for reading IMO.
    03-06-12 12:02 PM
    Love my PB too!... I got a 32Gb but now I want a 64 gigs... Why?... I dont know... but I would like to have more ando more books, music and movies on it!...
    03-06-12 12:08 PM
    Love the fact that the Kindle app remembers multiple positions on the same book. My wife and I are reading the same book and upon opening it always asks if I want to advance to where she is or stay on my remembered location. Flawless!
    03-06-12 12:22 PM
    I find my Kindle easier to read than my PB, as the Kindle is lighter & easier to hold, and also much easier to read in sunlight
    03-06-12 12:25 PM
    Now that we can sideload the Kindle app, I might start using my PB as a dedicated e-reader.

I would imagine the 7" screen means it'll be easy to hold but, at least for me, I feel the PB is a just a tad heavy to hold in one hand for extended period of time. But we shall see.

Like others have said, since dedicated e-readers are so cheap, I could just get one of those. E-ink usually trumps LCD screens for long reading sessions.
    03-06-12 12:31 PM
    I don't read "real" books anymore since receiving the PB.
    I should note that I have mainly an "in-front-of-the-computer-all-day" type of job, so by the time I get home, my eyes are usually tired and MOST screens (LCD/LED/phone/etc) only contribute to my eye strain/tiredness. However, I don't experience any eye fatigue when READING with the kobo app on the PB adn can do so for hours on end. I ONLY read in night/low-light mode (black background and white print), whether in the day or night, and have experienced no problems with legibility in bright light with that setting and can easily read next to someone at night without bothering them with light. I also have kobo on my BB, but find it less customizable and more eye-straining on it.
    I haven't used any of the readers with e-ink, so I cannot comment on them at all. I did used to have mulitple palm pilots (time-warp flashback, I know), and hated reading on them, whether on the green screen with black text or the later edition color ones.
    03-06-12 02:26 PM
    I read on my iPad until I got my PlayBook. I now read on the PB exclusively, using either Kindle or Book Reader. I have no issues with eye fatigue or anything else.
    03-06-12 03:14 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD