01-15-13 11:49 PM
61 123
tools
    I use it... although...maybe I should be using the pause method...
    10-19-12 06:21 PM
    I have had it on showcase for a pretty long time. Its great. Like you said, it is true real time multitasking
    10-19-12 07:17 PM
    actually seems better in showcase mode imo.
    10-19-12 07:28 PM
    Oh yes! Showcase always!
    10-19-12 07:40 PM
    Showcase for me.
    10-19-12 07:50 PM
    is this the thing that allows us to broadcast hdmi to our tv while doing something totally different on our pb at the same time??
    10-19-12 07:52 PM
    Always. In fact after upgrades to the OS I've had it go back to default and thought my PB was broken Eventually I work out what is going on!

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    10-20-12 02:59 AM
    Using my playbook in showcase and never looked back.
    10-20-12 06:16 AM
    Showcase all the way all the time!!!
    10-20-12 10:49 AM
    so what does this do for me ?

I don't see any difference ..not the sharpest hammer in the toolbox ..lol

Give me an example of how this is the sh*ts and giggles

Thanks
    10-20-12 07:41 PM
    so what does this do for me ?

I don't see any difference ..not the sharpest hammer in the toolbox ..lol

Give me an example of how this is the sh*ts and giggles

Thanks
    Set to showcase, open the browser, ask for a heavy site (yeah, crackberry will do). Open any other app and leave it open for a minute. Go back to the browser and crackberry will be loaded (hopefully...).

Now repeat the experiment on default. Browser will pause loading the page as soon as you move to the other app.

Now... Why are we on a thread as old as this?
    cleveland216 and Heavens1 like this.
    10-20-12 08:40 PM
    I'm a multitasking addict since the days of the Commodore Amiga. That's one of the first things I do when I open a new PlayBook =)
    10-20-12 08:45 PM
    Thanks

I can see what your driving at now , for me not that critical ..but will leave it showcase mode
    10-21-12 06:39 PM
    i do always set to Showcase, but if i swipe up a game (paused, e.g. shadowgun) then set it to standby, the next day i found it completely dead , maybe that game still run...
    10-22-12 04:40 AM
    Showcase always on here, among others for the purpose of background-downloading / refreshing some 100 RSS feeds, articles and images in Read It Offline (which takes a long time).
    Doesn't kill the battery apparently, at least, still largely allows a full day of continuous notetaking, photos, and the occasional GPS location plus late evening conferences.
    10-22-12 06:05 AM
    Using since the day i wanted to LISTEN to a youtube video in background while working on emails

and it's awesome
    10-22-12 06:13 AM
    All showcase all the time.
    10-22-12 06:49 AM
    Always using showcase too, listening to music while browsing or doing other stuff.
    10-22-12 07:28 AM
    As howarmat says, it certainly can. In practice, however, it very rarely DOES.

Furthermore, developers have the choice of basically ignoring this for individual apps, so there's no guarantee that an app will not continue using extra resources even when you have Paused mode enabled. (That said, I think it's safe to say that most developers who are knowledgeable enough to take advantage of this feature know what they're doing, and are delivering apps which have as little impact in Showcase as any of the others do even in Paused.)

I've used Showcase on all three PlayBooks here for the last year, and the only cases where I've observed a problem are with the Browser, when we leave the active tab open at Youtube (or perhaps other videos), and with some of the Marmalade-based native games when they were first launched a year ago. I believe the games have probably all been fixed by this time, though the Browser still appears to be capable of sucking up battery even in standby when we leave it open in Youtube.

Interesting to note that in BB10 this user setting appears to have been removed, so it will now be up to the app developers to do the right thing.
    10-22-12 08:34 AM
    is this the thing that allows us to broadcast hdmi to our tv while doing something totally different on our pb at the same time??
    The PB's ability to display a video over hdmi while doing something else on the PB is one of the PB's sweetest features but it is not dependent on the "showcase" setting. Here is what you do. Play a video from the native videos app. After the video starts, for about a second or 2, there is a little icon in the upper right corner of the screen that looks like a white rectangle on top of a black rectangle. If you wait too long it vanishes, but just tap the screen once and it re-appears. As soon as you tap this little icon, the PB screen will go to a video app control window while the video continues to play as normal on your HD screen. At this point, you can swipe up to minimize the video app on the PB and go do something else while the video continues to play on your HD screen.

In fact, I'm typing this response into CB.com while Usher is singing on my HD TV. Ooops. Usher just finished his song. And as soon as it finished, the HD screen went back to normal mirror mode. Better go pick another one.

I think this feature is also built into the Powerpoint presentation mode but am not sure. I don't have any .ppt files so I can't test it. If someone else knows, maybe they could post here.
    Heavens1 likes this.
    10-22-12 10:30 AM
    As howarmat says, it certainly can. In practice, however, it very rarely DOES.

Furthermore, developers have the choice of basically ignoring this for individual apps, so there's no guarantee that an app will not continue using extra resources even when you have Paused mode enabled. (That said, I think it's safe to say that most developers who are knowledgeable enough to take advantage of this feature know what they're doing, and are delivering apps which have as little impact in Showcase as any of the others do even in Paused.)

I've used Showcase on all three PlayBooks here for the last year, and the only cases where I've observed a problem are with the Browser, when we leave the active tab open at Youtube (or perhaps other videos), and with some of the Marmalade-based native games when they were first launched a year ago. I believe the games have probably all been fixed by this time, though the Browser still appears to be capable of sucking up battery even in standby when we leave it open in Youtube.

Interesting to note that in BB10 this user setting appears to have been removed, so it will now be up to the app developers to do the right thing.
    Do you see this leading to some problems?

edit: I guess do you think that means RIM has given everything free will on showcase mode by default OR are things tighter and you cannot achieve the same thing as showcase.
    10-22-12 10:30 AM
    I always use Showcase mode
    10-22-12 10:46 AM
    WoW, Thanks. I never knew you could do this. I now can listen to YouTube music while i do something else. Thanks.
    10-22-12 01:04 PM
    I've always used Showcase. Love to read while listening to music.
    10-22-12 01:31 PM
    Battery killer.
    10-22-12 02:02 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD