Failed twice using DM on a Vista machine. Every time it failed at the end. Now trying DM on Win7.
    06-05-11 11:15 AM
    Mine does the same thing...fails every time.
    06-05-11 12:28 PM
    Likewise

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

06-05-11 12:39 PM
    same here, hm i thought it was just me, this explains a lot lol.
    06-05-11 12:56 PM
    My only worry is how will it backup nearly 20 gigs of media? This is where the ipad would score I guess. No question of losing your music etc.
    06-05-11 01:00 PM
    it's a flaw in the Blackberry Desktop Manager and RIM is aware. They told me they are working on an updated version soon..
    06-05-11 01:25 PM
    this is a known issue. You can do a Custom backup and select Media and/or Settings. Custom backup fails if Application data is selected. With "Media" selected it backed up the music, photos, documents and downloads subfolders in the media directory where I have data. I presume it will backup all the subfolders in the Media directory if data is there.
    06-05-11 01:28 PM
    this is a known issue. You can do a Custom backup and select Media and/or Settings. Custom backup fails if Application data is selected. With "Media" selected it backed up the music, photos, documents and downloads subfolders in the media directory where I have data. I presume it will backup all the subfolders in the Media directory if data is there.
    yea, but the problem is that it would require 20gb of my laptop space.
    I shouldn't have to back up the device like that in the first place. Haven't heard of iOS people having to do that.
    As much as I hate iOS (love the macOS) there is something to be said about iOS devices. This would turn out to be a fail for the PB.
    Since I heard this I backed up my media my music on my 1 TB media drive, just in case I need to wipe my PB.
    But then restoring 20gb to the PB is a 5 hour affair.
    06-05-11 01:41 PM
    I shouldn't have to back up the device like that in the first place. Haven't heard of iOS people having to do that.
    As much as I hate iOS (love the macOS) there is something to be said about iOS devices. This would turn out to be a fail for the PB.
    Since I heard this I backed up my media my music on my 1 TB media drive, just in case I need to wipe my PB.
    yes it is a very time consuming task. i know, had to do it, after following level 2 guy's instructions which resulted in resetting os. of course, he assured me that no data will be lost. wrong!!!

thanks heaven for 1TB. dm backup does not work no matter which setting are selected. even after hours with rim level 3 support, the issue remains.

lets just hope rim will fix dm before you will need to restore your data.
    06-06-11 01:43 AM
    Haha I think the iTunes backup process is a sore spot for lots of iOS users as well and probably not something they would talk about unless they had to. It is a nightmare from my experience, EVERYTHING gets copied over USB even if you don't want it to in many cases there is no choice. It is like an entire snapshot of the internal storage is taken before even the smallest OS update is done. And this isn't just a straight byte for byte copy moved over the wire, if you were to copy that amount of data from a flash drive with a normal file system it would be much quicker. iOS and iTunes are using some unique protocol or database format internally that adds a lot of overhead it seems. Very frustrating.
    06-06-11 02:05 AM
    Haha I think the iTunes backup process is a sore spot for lots of iOS users as well and probably not something they would talk about unless they had to. It is a nightmare from my experience, EVERYTHING gets copied over USB even if you don't want it to in many cases there is no choice. It is like an entire snapshot of the internal storage is taken before even the smallest OS update is done. And this isn't just a straight byte for byte copy moved over the wire, if you were to copy that amount of data from a flash drive with a normal file system it would be much quicker. iOS and iTunes are using some unique protocol or database format internally that adds a lot of overhead it seems. Very frustrating.
    I didn't know that. So here's a question, if I have 40 gb data on my ipad and my computer only has 15gb free then the ipad will not play nice with my computer?

06-06-11 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD