As the title says, I'm curious to know if anyone who has the bulging back and kept it, notice if its getting worse? Maybe its my eyes playing games but i think its getting worse? Can anyone verify with their own.
    01-24-12 08:30 PM
    Mine got worse indeed. I posted pic in another thread here. My came out of the box flat and with in 30 days it was a bulge at least 1mm high, maybe higher. Mine also heated up a lot under normal use. Its was almost hot to touch. I sent mine into RIM and they agreed it was a hardware fault and replaced the guts and the back. But like I was, mine wasn't just a little bump and it was hot

BB 9810 Tapatalk
    01-24-12 08:33 PM
    mine started with a small bulge out of the box, but it hasnt changed at all since.

i found what i did at first and now always do is lay it on a flat surface, and tap/play with each corner to see how much it actually wobbles. its not really an exact science but im sure its something you can notice getting different for yourself, since you can get used to something being typical and being aware if it ever gets different if you keep an eye on it at 'regular' intervals. also, use the same flat spot to check it on, keeps things consistent.
    01-24-12 08:47 PM
    It was there out of the box. That is the method I use lol. lay it on the table and try to type and what not. Doing that it feels the same I suppose but the back of my device does get warm.
    01-24-12 09:04 PM
    well there has been some debate as to what exactly 'warm' is. lol

i can say the rear center logo area is warm, or at least warm-ER than the rest of the unit, but it literally is as insignificant as im trying to make that sound. theres a crapload of work going on, and its mostly being done by that little chip located in that area, so im obviously not surprised to feel or notice it a little.
    01-24-12 09:11 PM
    Having looked through about 10 PlayBooks since launch (mine, my friends', and my co-workers), I think the bulge problem was much more pronounced in the early units. The units my friends purchased later in 2011 didn't really have the bulge problem. Probably the first couple of batches weren't great.
    01-24-12 09:13 PM
    I guess i will have to wait a little longer and see what happens. I'm really hoping it doesnt have to go back
    01-24-12 09:21 PM
    I don't think mine has gotten worse yet. My playbook rarely heats up enough for me to feel uncomfortable at any strength. Only time it does is when I have it charging and I'm playing a game with high brightness. I really hoped i didn't have a bulge but I have one also.

I did that one flip your playbook over and use a ruler to check the gap between the lowest and highest point. After two years of drawing different house/site plans, the gap looks like a good 1/16th or 1/32nd of an inch. The protruding chrome color blackberry logo is what makes the bulge feel larger then what it is.

I can type just fine without it moving on the desk so I'm fine.
    01-24-12 10:47 PM
    I noticed yesterday when i was playing deadspace while charging my playbook the back was a little swolon but its gone back down
    01-25-12 04:43 AM
    Mine came with a small bulge just around the logo, which at rare times may get a bit larger but dissipates after a bit of time. Technically speaking the explenation for this is simple. The Logo is metallic in nature and therefore acts as a heatsink from the chip that sits underneath. It's kinda neat yet not because as we can all see in certain situations it causes the backing material to swell up slightly in heated situations.
    I would have preffered if instead of placing the metal logo in they made it slightly larger and cut holes in the shape of the logo and put a mesh underneath to let warm air flow out more easily. Still, nothing we can do now..unless you mod it yourself .
    01-25-12 05:29 AM
    Mine came with a small bulge just around the logo, which at rare times may get a bit larger but dissipates after a bit of time. Technically speaking the explenation for this is simple. The Logo is metallic in nature and therefore acts as a heatsink from the chip that sits underneath. It's kinda neat yet not because as we can all see in certain situations it causes the backing material to swell up slightly in heated situations.
    I would have preffered if instead of placing the metal logo in they made it slightly larger and cut holes in the shape of the logo and put a mesh underneath to let warm air flow out more easily. Still, nothing we can do now..unless you mod it yourself .
    That would have been an excellent idea if this issue was coming up during production. Thanks for all the input guys. Dont know what I would do without my playbook at work. Im an IT tech, so lots of down time while reformatting machines lol. Thank you crackberry.
    01-25-12 08:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD