Has anyone activated a PlayBook on the new Enterprise server??
    If this has already been posted, please direct me, I looked and could not find.
    02-06-13 05:39 PM
    Why would we need to do so as we can still use BIS until BB10 comes out, so it's only for BB10 OS all older phones will still use BIS.
    02-06-13 05:45 PM
    Yes. We have activated playbooks. Remember that there is no new Enterprise Server like BES 5.0. It is Blackberry Enterprise Services. It does MDM management.
    02-06-13 05:47 PM
    Thanks Bluenoser, our infrastructure guys set up BES10 today but no one in my group (the ones who will be supporting the handsets) has a BB10 device yet. I heard you can download an app on the PB for Enterprise activation but I cant find it anywhere in the app store, any tips would be appreciated.
    02-06-13 05:55 PM
    Yup, we did, we have 7 or 8 activated now. Works perfectly.
    02-06-13 07:02 PM
    Thanks Bluenoser, our infrastructure guys set up BES10 today but no one in my group (the ones who will be supporting the handsets) has a BB10 device yet. I heard you can download an app on the PB for Enterprise activation but I cant find it anywhere in the app store, any tips would be appreciated.
    Nothing to install, you go to accounts, new account, email, calendar/contacts, advanced then swlect work account
    02-06-13 07:04 PM
    If your guys set it up, all they need to do is ask users and email activation password. The email has all the instructions. Nothing to download.
    02-06-13 07:12 PM
    If your guys set it up, all they need to do is ask users and email activation password. The email has all the instructions. Nothing to download.
    Thanks again, that's what I thought would be involved, I only got a looksy at the console today at work, looking forward to tomorow, i'll probably have a Z10 to mess around with too!!!
    02-06-13 08:32 PM
    Nothing to install, you go to accounts, new account, email, calendar/contacts, advanced then swlect work account
    Work account sweet!!! Thanks
    02-06-13 08:41 PM
    I activated my PB last week after our infrastructure guys set up BES10 (we're in the US so this is as close as we can get until BB10 is released here). I didn't get an activation email with instructions, but just filled in the fields under work account. We had to include "server address" in addition to the usual email address and activation password. The server address was actually an alphanumeric code from the BES10 console (I'm guessing this would have been in the email had I received it). Activation was quick. Seems to run just like iOS devices on ActiveSync. Next step is testing out UDS to see if BES10 can be a good replacement for our current MDM solution!
    02-06-13 09:09 PM
    Works great with UDS also. We have 3 ipad and 4 iphone activated right now and we also tried with an Android but that was a little messy.
    02-06-13 09:13 PM
    We also have 3 PB on our BES(ervice)10 and they work like a charm, UDS on Android is horrible since it rely on Touchdown (crappiest mail client I ever encouter).

I hope when the BES 10 come out later this year, they will have a mail/pim app for Android.
    02-06-13 10:54 PM
    Yeah from what I hear the update in May should clean things up a lot. Hope it gets released on schedule, really tired of our current MDM solution.
    02-07-13 08:21 AM
    Yeah from what I hear the update in May should clean things up a lot. Hope it gets released on schedule, really tired of our current MDM solution.
    What released? BES10 is already released! Is that what your talking about?
    02-07-13 03:06 PM
    I have UDS installed. If I want to manage a playbook or BB10 device, can i use BDS? IS there a difference between BES10 and BDS?
    02-07-13 06:40 PM
    I activated my PB last week after our infrastructure guys set up BES10 (we're in the US so this is as close as we can get until BB10 is released here). I didn't get an activation email with instructions, but just filled in the fields under work account. We had to include "server address" in addition to the usual email address and activation password. The server address was actually an alphanumeric code from the BES10 console (I'm guessing this would have been in the email had I received it). Activation was quick. Seems to run just like iOS devices on ActiveSync. Next step is testing out UDS to see if BES10 can be a good replacement for our current MDM solution!
    Thanks for all the replies guys, couldn't figure out what to input in the "server address" field, I'm guessing the code is tied to the user profile, back to the console tomorow, thanks again. Lol baby steps.
    02-07-13 07:29 PM
    Why would we need to do so as we can still use BIS until BB10 comes out, so it's only for BB10 OS all older phones will still use BIS.
    BES and BIS are two different unrelated beasts.
    02-07-13 08:12 PM
    Thanks for all the replies guys, couldn't figure out what to input in the "server address" field, I'm guessing the code is tied to the user profile, back to the console tomorow, thanks again. Lol baby steps.
    The server address is the unique ID assigned to it when the BES connection to the RIM NOC is created and is based on your SRP. Basically when you activate a device on the BES, the RIM NOC routes this request, acting as a broker, to your BES with which it already has a heartbeat connection and uses this server address to correspond it to the right BES. Yours.
    02-07-13 10:05 PM
    I have UDS installed. If I want to manage a playbook or BB10 device, can i use BDS? IS there a difference between BES10 and BDS?
    There's BES for old blackberry's, then BDS for playbooks, then UDS for android and iPhones. I guess the Z10 will be activated on the BDS.
    jslawell likes this.
    02-07-13 10:15 PM
    There's BES for old blackberry's, then BDS for playbooks, then UDS for android and iPhones. I guess the Z10 will be activated on the BDS.
    That is correct. I have two PlayBooks and one Z10 activated on my own BES and yes, it uses BDS (BlackBerry Device Service) to sync policies, etc., between the BES 10 Services server and the devices. My BESx (BES eXpress) v5.04 server is still managing my BB OS7 phones.
    jslawell likes this.
    02-07-13 10:24 PM
    The server address is the unique ID assigned to it when the BES connection to the RIM NOC is created and is based on your SRP. Basically when you activate a device on the BES, the RIM NOC routes this request, acting as a broker, to your BES with which it already has a heartbeat connection and uses this server address to correspond it to the right BES. Yours.
    Are you sure about that! I dont think the NOC is involved in any of this for the playbook, it does not need to. My personal take on this is that the server address that is sent to you by email is the ip address of your fusion server but encoded in some way,the NOC is not involved in any way. Why would it, it's all done through ActiveSync.
    02-07-13 10:25 PM
    Are you sure about that! I dont think the NOC is involved in any of this for the playbook, it does not need to. My personal take on this is that the server address that is sent to you by email is the ip address of your fusion server but encoded in some way,the NOC is not involved in any way. Why would it, it's all done through ActiveSync.
    Yup. I'm sure. When I set up my BES 10 server, it asked me for SRP ID, key, etc., just like a BES. Looking at the screenshot (attached) from my firewall, you can see there are two heartbeat connections between respectively my BES 5.04 server (10.168.99.250) and my BES 10 server (10.168.99.251) to the RIM NOC. You can check out those addresses for yourself and see that they belong to RIM (errr.. BlackBerry). IT polices, etc., are pushed out to the PlayBook on this connection whereas email uses ActiveSync as you correctly state.
    Anyone activate the Playbook on BES10-bes5_andbes10_conns.jpg
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    02-07-13 10:36 PM
    Couldn't it only be a connection for licensing purposes? Let me investigate further, that's intriguing! More tomorrow.
    02-07-13 10:44 PM
    Couldn't it only be a connection for licensing purposes? Let me investigate further, that's intriguing! More tomorrow.
    I'm pretty sure not. There's a lot going on here. For example, I've set up a WiFi policy as well as a policy for whether the user is allowed to purchase apps from the App Store, etc. This is pushed to the device across this connection, again using the RIM NOC as the broker. Everytime I query the device from the BES 10 console or otherwise change device policy I see the packet counter going up on this connection. Here's a screenshot of one of my PlayBooks as seen on the BES 10 server. You can see that the PlayBook has reported its battery level, storage space and other telemetry to the server and that an IT policy "default" has been applied to it.
    Anyone activate the Playbook on BES10-bb10server_playbook_view.jpg
    02-07-13 10:56 PM
    Makes a lot of sense, would explain how Video Chat can find remote parties. But I'm sure that e-mails are not sent through the NOC, the playbok talks directly to ActiveSync.
    02-08-13 10:21 AM
29 12