Does anyone think there will be surprises included in the official release of OS 2.0. With the preview at CES and the developer beta we've had a pretty good look at OS 2.0. I hope they've kept a few things hidden for the official release such as SMS over bridge.
    Last edited by ad19; 01-29-12 at 11:00 PM.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    01-29-12 08:03 PM
    Doubt it...
    01-29-12 08:09 PM
    I think there will be a surprise or two. It might just be some big name apps that will be released.

James
    01-29-12 08:13 PM
    Surprises are always good! Maybe they will fix the background problem......maybe I can use any picture without having it zoom in.....one can only hope.
    01-29-12 08:19 PM
    Surprises are always good! Maybe they will fix the background problem......maybe I can use any picture without having it zoom in.....one can only hope.
    Use the crackberry wallpaper changer, it works like a charm.
    01-29-12 10:25 PM
    Since the beta have almost no end-user stuff in them and they didn't shown much past PIM apos, I'd say chances are good we'll get a few surprises. For once we know DLNA and A2DP (did I spell it right?) are coming...
    01-29-12 10:46 PM
    I think we could hear more at the mobile world Congress 2012 and it's the 27 February - 1st of march soo...

If the rumors are not true about the 17th we'll hear more at the congress maybe even some features they have held back on purpose.

I think 2.0 will release during the event it would give them more media attention then just releasing on a random day.
    Last edited by Creaturefear; 01-29-12 at 11:08 PM.
    01-29-12 11:04 PM
    The surprise will be if they release it on time. This time I'm optimistic.
    01-30-12 04:50 AM
    Does anyone think there will be surprises included in the official release of OS 2.0. With the preview at CES and the developer beta we've had a pretty good look at OS 2.0. I hope they've kept a few things hidden for the official release such as SMS over bridge.
    Release date is February 2013, surprise!

Lets hope not.
    01-30-12 06:59 AM
    i think the surprises as stated earlier will be a slew of apps that they've held back from releasing that they will release with OS2.0 they can say so they playbook has this many apps has so many downloads etc. and today we're glad to announce with 2.0 comes "lists new features" and new devs "lists new big name devs with some crazy cool apps" LETS HOPE! hehe
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-30-12 07:04 AM
    Since the beta have almost no end-user stuff in them and they didn't shown much past PIM apos, I'd say chances are good we'll get a few surprises. For once we know DLNA and A2DP (did I spell it right?) are coming...
    Do we know DLNA and A2DP are coming?
    01-30-12 08:27 AM
    Do we know DLNA and A2DP are coming?
    Positive on A2DP. It's in the current DP and I can't imagine it being dropped.

As for DLNA... Not so clear. There's rumors of a new "media server" that sounds like it's based on DLNA but when that's coming is anyone's guess.
    01-30-12 08:36 AM
    All I can say is that I am happy I bought my PlayBook when I did. Even though I had the option to go with an Android tablet, I did my research & realized that the Multi-Tasking aspect was too good to pass up. I hope that RIM does Surprise us with some extras. Skype? A Texting option for NON-BB Phone owners. Something similar to Facetime?

I still think that a FREE APP of the day would be great, similar to what Amazon does with the Kindle Fire.

I am also happy to be able to get on these forums & learn from other BB users. THANKS for always sharing your knowledge!

CDC
    caper001 likes this.
    01-30-12 08:47 AM
    Skype,Netflix,Hulu apps built in...
    01-30-12 09:32 AM
    any news on the new OS being able to rename/move browser favorites?? i can care less about email and calendar.. i just use my browser for hotmail...
    hobbyboy#CB likes this.
    01-30-12 10:57 AM
    Well, here's a surprise. I thought that OS v2.0.0.7111 was the latest developer OS build..however, i received a reply tweet from Alec Saunders that there is a newer version that he's on.

Posted here because of surprises!
    01-30-12 11:25 AM
    Well, here's a surprise. I thought that OS v2.0.0.7111 was the latest developer OS build..however, i received a reply tweet from Alec Saunders that there is a newer version that he's on.
    He works for RIM, he gets access to OS 2.0 with native PIM, with Mobile Fusion, etc. The build he's on is unlikely to be released.

The rumoured media server was for BBOS devices. There's been nothing in the betas to suggest they're working on DLNA. USB OTG support and apps are the most likely surprises.
    01-30-12 12:17 PM
    He works for RIM, he gets access to OS 2.0 with native PIM, with Mobile Fusion, etc. The build he's on is unlikely to be released.

The rumoured media server was for BBOS devices. There's been nothing in the betas to suggest they're working on DLNA. USB OTG support and apps are the most likely surprises.
    Well, wish he did not tweet it then but from what he said things are looking pretty good. But then again He works for RIM
    01-30-12 12:20 PM
    any news on the new OS being able to rename/move browser favorites?? i can care less about email and calendar.. i just use my browser for hotmail...
    That would be great too! I still haven't figured out a way to do that!
    01-30-12 01:53 PM
    Do we really know DLNA is coming next month? Must have missed that disclosure (well beyond last April when RIM shot themselves in the foot again). A2DP is nice to have but they need real native apps and very soon...
    01-30-12 01:57 PM
    I'm sure they will reveal more at Devcon Europe and the attendees will get a hands on with the new OS. It makes sense from a marketing and product deployment stand point.
    01-30-12 02:46 PM
    I want more supported Bluetooth profiles. File transfer and I guess once we get PIM contact transfer would be nice.

I don't have a BB so my only method of transfering files/images from phone is through a PC. And if I forget my cellphone's cable, it's borderline impossible to transfer files.
    01-30-12 02:59 PM
    USB OTG would be the nicest surprise for me by a mile! I like DLNA support and more apps, but that would make the PB so much more versatile in terms of mobile external storage. Not necessarily just to expand storage, but also having the ability to just connect flash drives that has content on it to be viewed.
    BTW, did anyone ever try to connect a flash drive to a BB phone?
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-30-12 03:14 PM
    BTW, did anyone ever try to connect a flash drive to a BB phone?
    BB phones don't have the rectangular OTG connector, they've got the trapezoidal slave-only port. Theoretically one could wire up a device which violates the USB spec and make the connection, but I think you can tell at this point it won't work. Besides, if RIM had bothered to implement it in BBOS I think they'd have mentioned it by now. It's a lot of work to implement, you wouldn't do it then not use it.
    01-30-12 03:45 PM
    BB phones don't have the rectangular OTG connector, they've got the trapezoidal slave-only port. Theoretically one could wire up a device which violates the USB spec and make the connection, but I think you can tell at this point it won't work. Besides, if RIM had bothered to implement it in BBOS I think they'd have mentioned it by now. It's a lot of work to implement, you wouldn't do it then not use it.
    You know what? I never paid attention to the connector. I didn't even know they were different. I see it now....FAIL! LOL
    01-30-12 06:30 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD