I have a straightforward DLNA set up at home -- Windows Media Player on my Windows 7 PC in my study is the DLNA server, and I have an DLNA-equipped BD player in the family room.

I had some older .avi family videos (and videos taken on the Bold 9000) that would get an "unsupported format" message, and I had to convert them to .mp4 so they would play. But all other videos have played without problem or conversion, e.g., more recent .avi videos, .3gp videos from the 9800 and 9810, and any .mp4 videos.

However, .mp4 videos recorded on the PB -- which I just transferred to my PC last night -- don't play. I don't get an "unsupported format" message (because .mp4 IS a supported format) -- the player just hangs there with a circle spinning interminably. I've rebooted both player and PC/server, with no joy.

The only thing I can think of is that these are the only 1080p videos I have -- everything else is 720p max. I'd hate to have to convert 1080p videos down to 720p when I have a player and HDTV capable of handling 1080p.

Ultimately, this may be a DLNA problem or a limitation of the DLNA implementation on my BD player. But I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem, and if they've found a way around it or to deal with it (short of implementing a completely different server-reader set up).
    01-31-12 08:29 AM
    Here : W7 ultimate (DLNA server) and Sony Bravia KDL-52Z4500 HDTV. + PS3
    Looks like I've got the same problem. PS3 states "incompatible format".
    01-31-12 08:58 AM
    Here : W7 ultimate (DLNA server) and Sony Bravia KDL-52Z4500 HDTV. + PS3
    Looks like I've got the same problem. PS3 states "incompatible format".
    I have an LG BD670 BD player, and while it's not directly documented in the manual, I just did a little poking around and found that most (all?) DLNA-equipped players (and all LGs apparently) have a 20 Mb/s limitation on streaming -- and 1080p streaming is several Mb/s above that.

I don't mind having to watch the PB videos in 720p so much as having to go through the hassle of converting them from 1080p to 720p. Of course, I can (and do) hook the PB up directly to the HDTV and watch that way, but I prefer the convenience of a library of vids located on the server. Plus my kids tend to trip over the micro HDMI cable.
    01-31-12 10:02 AM
    I have an LG BD670 BD player, and while it's not directly documented in the manual, I just did a little poking around and found that most (all?) DLNA-equipped players (and all LGs apparently) have a 20 Mb/s limitation on streaming -- and 1080p streaming is several Mb/s above that.

I don't mind having to watch the PB videos in 720p so much as having to go through the hassle of converting them from 1080p to 720p. Of course, I can (and do) hook the PB up directly to the HDTV and watch that way, but I prefer the convenience of a library of vids located on the server. Plus my kids tend to trip over the micro HDMI cable.
    hmmm, I hope they increase that soon....DLNA has a lot of potential, but it is going to need to be faster....DLNA2 maybe?
    01-31-12 10:54 AM
    hmmm, I hope they increase that soon....DLNA has a lot of potential, but it is going to need to be faster....DLNA2 maybe?
    I don't think it's a limitation in DLNA -- it's a limitation in the device that reads DLNA streams. I'm hopeful that as 1080p recording (and BD ripping) becomes more prevalent, the manufacturers of DLNA-equipped TVs, BD players, etc., will do something about the size limitation on the stream.

Until then, I'm faced with a choice of recording PB videos at 1080p and converting them, or simply recording them at 720p (as I do on my 9810). The latter is obviously easiest, but I hate to give up 1080p . . . .
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-31-12 11:02 AM
    Could you not just convert to a different format but still 1080 (which your device supports) like HD-Xvid or x264 ?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-31-12 03:52 PM
    Could you not just convert to a different format but still 1080 (which your device supports) like HD-Xvid or x264 ?
    It supports just about any file (.avi, .divx, .mkv .mp4, .wmv, etc.) and the XVID and H.264 codecs but the problem is the size of the stream, not the file type or codec. I don't think converting from the native .mp4 PB format is going to result in a smaller stream. In fact, I would think just the opposite.
    01-31-12 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD