I have to help a friend download flight manuals (PDF format) from a site that requires you to have an FTP client. I have never used one or know where to start. I am thinking that if there is one for the playbook, that it will be obvious how to use it. Can anyone provide any info on this?
    10-08-12 11:28 AM
    Try Ghost comander, Es file explorer
    10-08-12 11:34 AM
    Didn't think FTP was still being used. It is probably easier on a machine than a tablet (refer to cuteftp, ws-ftp, filezilla). If you are just downloading on a Windows machine, it should be possible to browse to the ftp address and download the files through one of the available web browsers.
    Instructions here: How to Download Files to Your Computer With an FTP Program | eHow.com
    From Browser: How to Use a Web Browser to Download Files With FTP | eHow.com

Found Remote DeFTP for free on appworld, pro version is paid. Wasn't able to try as I don't have an FTP server running right now.
    10-08-12 11:41 AM
    iv used ghost commander built in ftp support.. works pretty well for me..
    10-08-12 12:56 PM
    thanks for the info. I am trying ghost commander right now and it has been sitting on "wait" for 30 min then times out. Will keep trying. thank you again .Shogun.
    10-08-12 01:20 PM
    thank you all, I am going to work it out and then tell you what worked best for me. cheers
    10-08-12 01:22 PM
    Ghost Commander is an Android port, thus with a non-obvious interface IMHO.
    There are a couple of native self-standing ftp clients, but none is free I think (just search 'ftp' in App World)
    There also is the (paying) File Browser app, native and fast (infinitely better than the PB own 'browser') that can do ftp too, although without the capacity to fully memorize an ftp server's credentials. I do use File Browser; I'd say as concerns ftp it handles 95% of my servers correctly. If you don't have a file manager, I'd recommend getting it for both purposes.
    H.
    10-08-12 01:27 PM
    Maybe try X-Plore file Explorer. https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=F661F...4A8CD45E%21210 You'll need to click on "Show" in one of the panels to bring up FTP entry.
    10-08-12 01:30 PM
    Have you tried using the browser with ftp:// as the url to the ftp site instead of the http://? In the past I could download via the browser, but I haven't checked it lately.
    10-08-12 04:10 PM
    PlayCloud was supposed to be getting FTP but the developer seems to have decided against it (based on how long its been).
    10-08-12 04:47 PM
    On your playbook go into settings > about > Network > and look at IPv4 (Which should be your ip address) on your pc start run and type \\ then your ip
    10-09-12 10:13 AM
    ghost commander working fine with MS ftp, anonymous user.
    10-09-12 10:42 AM
    Thanks for all the help, I have not been very successful in connecting to the site. I tried with filezilla from my laptop and mobileftp and ghost commander from the PlayBook, both try to connect for a while, then say connection timed out or network unavailable. I will call the site's technical support and see if I can sort it out. I disabled my firewall and that didn't make any difference. Thanks again for the help.
    10-09-12 10:51 AM