John, PlayBook Manager on the Beta Zone forums:

" Now that the 4G LTE PlayBook is available, new PlayBook software updates must be reviewed by the carriers who offer the device. This process adds a bit of time to the cycle of releasing new updates.

I hope this helps!

John"
    I thought RIM purposefully put wireless radios and the rest of the OS separate so that carriers didn't have to approve OS updates on PlayBook OS/BB10? Or is that what I heard that's that they're doing for just BB10.... On the Dev Alpha OS dump, there is a qcfm file with 10.x and then the wireless radio in another file which is not compatible with the PlayBook. I recall that from somewhere.
    09-11-12 10:35 PM
    With Rim, who knows what the truth is?
    And that is the core of the problem - nobody trusts anything announced by management or their assigned minions. In business if you have no credibility you have no business.
    09-11-12 10:41 PM
    I thought RIM purposefully put wireless radios and the rest of the OS separate so that carriers didn't have to approve OS updates on PlayBook OS/BB10? Or is that what I heard that's that they're doing for just BB10.... On the Dev Alpha OS dump, there is a qcfm file with 10.x and then the wireless radio in another file which is not compatible with the PlayBook. I recall that from somewhere.
    I had thought the same too and now I am also wondering what the deal is...
    09-12-12 01:27 AM
    You probably recall it from the CrackBerry front pages.

I recall reading the same information myself. The whole thrust of the piece was that by separating the radio stack from the general phone OS in BB10 (and in the 4GPB), carrier testing and certification would be more rapidly performed. And unless the radio-side were changed, any OS updates could be simply "nodded through" by the carriers.

Given that the 4GPB is out there already, I presume that any carrier testing has already occurred and won't need to be repeated.

Which is why I laughed at "John's" inventiveness in pinning any delay/blame on the carriers in regard of getting the 2.1 OS update out. Though I probably wouldn't be laughing if I was a carrier being unfairly tarred by this particular brush.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 09-12-12 at 02:32 AM.
    09-12-12 02:13 AM
    Maybe "John" is telling the truth - it could be that the carriers simply don't believe RIM that the radio stack and OS are separated, given that this is historically not the case for Blackberrys.

After all, few people on this fansite believe RIM, why should the carriers?

Not directed at a specific post, or poster, but not out of the realm of possibilities let's be honest.

Personally, my hunch would be that (as has been said around these parts before) PB-specific OS work has stopped, and the whole Dev focus is on BB10.
    09-12-12 02:51 AM
    No it does not help because I do not have a 4G LTE PlayBook.
    09-12-12 04:43 AM
    Maybe "John" is telling the truth - it could be that the carriers simply don't believe RIM that the radio stack and OS are separated, given that this is historically not the case for Blackberrys.

After all, few people on this fansite believe RIM, why should the carriers?

Not directed at a specific post, or poster, but not out of the realm of possibilities let's be honest.

Personally, my hunch would be that (as has been said around these parts before) PB-specific OS work has stopped, and the whole Dev focus is on BB10.
    Don't they say that the best lies are mostly truth?

I'm sure "John from RIM" speaks the truth when he says that the carriers must review OS2.1... where I suspect the lie starts is when he suggests that this is the (sole?) reason for the continuing delay in OS2.1. Taken as a whole, the statement implies that OS2.1 is otherwise ready to go out of the door "soon"... and that's the "big lie".

Actually, I agree with you. I'm one of those who have previously expressed my doubts that anyone is actively progressing 2.1, or that we'll ever see it released - it's all about BB10 (as it should be given BB10's role in securing RIM's future).

Do I mind that RIM are shading the truth and (IMO) providing mis-information ...?

Not at all... I've been there myself, and I understand their reasons for doing so... what is said publicly often doesn't reflect the internal realities, but is stated to bolster an external image/perception.

"An ambassador is an honest gentleman sent to lie abroad for the good of his country." - Sir Henry Wotton 1604
    Last edited by JeepBB; 09-12-12 at 09:41 AM.
    Barljo and Harryl6134 like this.
    09-12-12 04:59 AM
    I think that someone who can should reach out to RIM and see if they are willing to clarify this.

Does any carrier have the ability and right to review and set the release times of OS updates?

If so, does it, has it or will it affect future non-4G Playbooks OS updates in any way?

One of the items the two "X" CEOs mentioned was the fact that the OS updates bypassed the carriers. Making for faster and more responsive updates. It was during one of the interviews the two gave prior to, during and after the launch of the PB.
    They only had the WiFi then.

It needs to be asked and an answer given.

Tim
    09-12-12 07:36 AM
    I think that someone who can should reach out to RIM and see if they are willing to clarify this.

Does any carrier have the ability and right to review and set the release times of OS updates?

If so, does it, has it or will it affect future non-4G Playbooks OS updates in any way?

One of the items the two "X" CEOs mentioned was the fact that the OS updates bypassed the carriers. Making for faster and more responsive updates. It was during one of the interviews the two gave prior to, during and after the launch of the PB.
    They only had the WiFi then.

It needs to be asked and an answer given.

Tim
    The Crackberry team should be on this.
    09-12-12 07:45 AM
    Yes, that is somehow possible. I observed that with bada OS for Samsung. After long wait Samsung released bada 2.0 for unbranded phones, so it was available for end customers. The German version came End January. End of Feb there was a statement from one of 4 German carriers, the 2.0 version was not satisfying and that they asked Samsung to improve. End of April(!) the Branding version of that carrier was finally available, with no comment.

Suprise: It was still the January build!! So long wait with even no change in Firmware. I suspect there was arguments behind the scene. Result for Customers: Very unsatisfying!

They did not block the Open Market Firmware (although that would be also used inside that carriers net), but they blocked the Branded Firmware.

Ray
    09-12-12 08:31 AM
    Over-react much? My guess is that there is some truth here.
    Carriers want to investigate the first public OS update to the 4G Playbooks...
    This does not mean the WIFI Playbooks won't be updated... RIM probably prefers to update both devices at once. Hence why carriers reviewing the 4G can still hold up the WIFI only version... common sense.

RIM isn't going to roll out a 2.1 OS for WIFI and wait for carriers to finish then roll out the 4G version, too much work... They will do it all at once as a public launch...

It does make sense that they would do this public launch at BBJam Americas on Tuesday, 9/25.
    09-12-12 11:46 AM
    Over-react much? My guess is that there is some truth here.
    Carriers want to investigate the first public OS update to the 4G Playbooks...
    This does not mean the WIFI Playbooks won't be updated... RIM probably prefers to update both devices at once. Hence why carriers reviewing the 4G can still hold up the WIFI only version... common sense.

RIM isn't going to roll out a 2.1 OS for WIFI and wait for carriers to finish then roll out the 4G version, too much work... They will do it all at once as a public launch...

It does make sense that they would do this public launch at BBJam Americas on Tuesday, 9/25.
    So since carriers can take months to approve something if they even approve it and don't tell RIM to try again and some carriers never approve it or issue an update you're saying now any pb update is a condition by carriers when RIM stated before that this wouldn't be an issue.
    09-12-12 11:51 AM
    Honelstly, I have no idea. I want to believe it won't be an issue as RIM stated previously. But carriers are strange critters. Perhaps, being the PB 4G is a new device and new software to carriers, they want to ensure that the carrier specific software (radios, carrier apps, etc) are included and stable. While RIM could release an OS update without Carrier approval, in this case it would require RIM separate the Radios and Carrier Apps from the OS -> Release the OS to public -> then later release the upgraded radios and carrier apps...

This is a lot more work than just waiting for carriers to review/approve and just launch both version of 2.1 at once with everything included.
    09-12-12 11:59 AM
    Well that blows. Means RIM either still lies or doesn't have a clue what they are doing still. I wish they would say nothing as compared to open mouth and say anything.
    balding1 likes this.
    09-12-12 12:01 PM
    Well to me it makes sense, for a good example HTC HD7 WP7 had to be approved by my carrier (rogers) to have an upgrade on any firmware and rogers crippled it btw, because I bought an unlocked phone of the same one and it got the updates right away with no problems and no waits....dunno man
    09-12-12 12:08 PM
    I believe it still remains to be seen. I would assume RIM would want synchronize a major update (2.1 now 10 later) for all playbook models. Incremental updates (if there are any) may still be separated as wifi and 4g.
    Having said that, holy eff, this wait is crazy... Now for official 2.1, and then the wait for 10 starts sigh....

The irony is if they hadn't said anything... I'd be enjoying my PB as it is... but since they let the cat out of the bag, I want the good stuff now!

Syn
    Last edited by syn-ack; 09-12-12 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-12-12 02:04 PM
    I hope RIM does not become hostage to the carriers actions concerning updates. I have a BB9800 and am with AT&T and several updates were available but not from AT&T . So RIM needs to establish a method where we do not have to wait on AT&T or the BB 10 and the Playbook will indeed be a failure. AT&T should not be able to keep me from any updates concerning my Playbook.
    09-12-12 09:06 PM
    Why dont we give up on 2.1 and let them focus on whats really important?
    09-12-12 09:09 PM
    Why dont we give up on 2.1 and let them focus on whats really important?
    Like what? BB10 for phones only and then forget that the Playbook even existed?
    09-12-12 09:28 PM
    Like what? BB10 for phones only and then forget that the Playbook even existed?
    Like we haven't been reassured a number of times by RIM'S top brass that BB10 will hit the PlayBook after the phones release...

Asking where is it and when does it get released will not make the update notification spark.
    09-12-12 10:10 PM
    Like we haven't been reassured a number of times by RIM'S top brass that BB10 will hit the PlayBook after the phones release...

Asking where is it and when does it get released will not make the update notification spark.
    So why release OS 2.1 BETA when BB10 is the only thing they are focused on?

It doesn't make any sense...
    09-12-12 10:21 PM
    Then can you imagine how long carriers can hold up bb10? Blaming carriers could be rim's next "60days" or "around the corner". we could wait years - oh, wait wehave.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-12-12 10:21 PM
    There's probably some truth to carrier testing as the latest beta update contained AT&T icons.
    09-12-12 10:48 PM
    So why release OS 2.1 BETA when BB10 is the only thing they are focused on?

It doesn't make any sense...
    Again, your posts make little sense. When did I say they are not releasing 2.1? Or that they stopped development?

How being assured the PlayBook will get BB10 has any impact on it getting 2.1?

WE, crackberry.com users, should focus on more important stuff, like helping each other out, instead of wasting time with rants and questions none of us can possibly answer.

Hope it is clear now.
    jafobabe and Barljo like this.
    09-12-12 11:57 PM
    How long after the phones release? Days? months? Years?

Rimm burned me with the playbook software update promises and i bought some day 0.

Love the device, but the software updates are painfully slow.
    09-13-12 10:46 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD