So, as I await the release of the iPad Mini, I am still enjoying my PlayBook experience and am wondering if there is any news on the next software update?...

Are we basically waiting for BB10? Will there be a new release before then?

I don't use my PlayBook in Portrait mode because I am so used to the Landscape mode, but does anyone know if there will be a decent cross platform video chat app coming? Something similar to Face Time?

Also, does anyone know if there's a new Facebook app on the way?

Thanks in advance...

09-11-12 09:21 AM
    Yes there are lots of people that know, but everyone is contractually obligated to keep their mouth shut
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    09-11-12 09:49 AM
    Nobody is working on 2.1... they are all focused on BB10 (as they should be). The math is simple... 2+M on PlayBook vs 80+M on BB Phones. Most of the 2.1 functionality is available (and stable) in the beta. The only thing that would have got me overly excited about 2.1 was the rumoured inclusion of DLNA support (HD wirelessly to your TV's, Projectors, etc.). I suspect they are saving that new feature for BB10 to increase the hype factor. You can buy a PlayBook in Canada for 129 now... that's a damn good deal with the existing level of functionality.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    09-11-12 10:00 AM
    2.1 will release, eventually.

Then nothing major till BB10
    09-11-12 10:06 AM
    Eventually and how long is that? Soon? Around the corner? 2.1 beta is good? Not good enough for me. SMS over bridge? Still buggier than it should be.

Love my PB but it is still incomplete after almost 2 years. Doesn't make me real hopeful for bb10 BUT I'm still waiting to see.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    09-11-12 10:47 AM
    So, as I await the release of the iPad Mini, I am still enjoying my PlayBook experience and am wondering if there is any news on the next software update?...

Are we basically waiting for BB10? Will there be a new release before then?

I don't use my PlayBook in Portrait mode because I am so used to the Landscape mode, but does anyone know if there will be a decent cross platform video chat app coming? Something similar to Face Time?

Also, does anyone know if there's a new Facebook app on the way?

Thanks in advance...

On the weekend you indicated that you were, again, listing your PB for sale. Now you're "still enjoying" it?
    bbfan1040 and BB_Bmore like this.
    09-11-12 10:57 AM
    On the weekend you indicated that you were, again, listing your PB for sale. Now you're "still enjoying" it?
    It's that love hate relationship the pb does to you.
    MrNutt and Grumblegrumble like this.
    09-11-12 11:02 AM
    Eventually and how long is that? Soon? Around the corner? 2.1 beta is good? Not good enough for me. SMS over bridge? Still buggier than it should be.

Love my PB but it is still incomplete after almost 2 years. Doesn't make me real hopeful for bb10 BUT I'm still waiting to see.
    That's why I said "eventually" and not "coming soon".

I really don't know, other than it will come to fruition.
    09-11-12 11:12 AM
    Yeah, we all get frustrated sometimes but lying about selling it is a lil extreme.
    09-11-12 11:12 AM
    09-11-12 11:14 AM
    Long wait for tiny "improvements".
    09-11-12 12:05 PM
    Soon.... or maybe not...
    09-11-12 12:29 PM
    Mid summer, next year.
    Balti43 likes this.
    09-11-12 12:29 PM
    Around February 2013, same date when the OS 2.0 was released. It took RIM only 1 year to make 3 new apps and an android player....whereas for Apple and Google can take years to implement these features.

DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO DEVELOP A SIMPLE MANAGER APP FROM THE SCRATCH?

VERY HARD.
    09-11-12 01:31 PM
    John, PlayBook Manager on the Beta Zone forums:

" Now that the 4G LTE PlayBook is available, new PlayBook software updates must be reviewed by the carriers who offer the device. This process adds a bit of time to the cycle of releasing new updates.

I hope this helps!

John"
    09-11-12 02:51 PM

" Now that the 4G LTE PlayBook is available, new PlayBook software updates must be reviewed by the carriers who offer the device. This process adds a bit of time to the cycle of releasing new updates.

I hope this helps!

John"
    You have got to be freaking kidding me!!! No carrier should have any say on when my wifi only PlayBook receives an update!!!

You ARE FREAKING RIDICULOUS "john" from RIM!!!
    09-11-12 04:26 PM

I hope this helps!

John"
    LOL

What a marvellously inventive excuse for further delay whilst keeping hope alive.

It's actually quite a clever statement in that it promises nothing, and gives no dates, but implies that RIM are champing at the bit to release 2.1 if only those pesky kids carriers would let them.

Well played John from RIM. Respect...
    09-11-12 04:50 PM
    To me it sounds like he is talking about the 4G playbook, not wifi.
    "new PlayBook software updates must be reviewed by the carriers who offer the device."

Carriers don't offer wifi PB's.
    09-11-12 04:53 PM
    Won't either pb be getting the same updates beyond radio things the 4g one may get exclusive?

I never thought of them getting other updates otherwise that the wifi wouldn't get at the same time.
    09-11-12 04:56 PM
    LOL

What a marvellously inventive excuse for further delay whilst keeping hope alive.

It's actually quite a clever statement in that it promises nothing, and gives no dates, but implies that RIM are champing at the bit to release 2.1 if only those pesky kids carriers would let them.

Well played John from RIM. Respect...
    ROFLMFAO..... Thank you for making my day.
    JeepBB and neel69 like this.
    09-11-12 06:05 PM
    When do BB normally release a PlayBook OS?

Tuesdays.

When does BBJam San Jose start?

Tuesday the 25th.

simple logic tells you they`ll release it then, that would be the most logical time for it.
    09-11-12 06:20 PM
    Not sure what all the fuss for OS updates.... Playbook still Works... At least its not like being stuck with an orphaned Android Tablet or Smartphone......
    Jake Storm likes this.
    09-11-12 06:31 PM
    To me it sounds like he is talking about the 4G playbook, not wifi.
    "new PlayBook software updates must be reviewed by the carriers who offer the device."

Carriers don't offer wifi PB's.
    Or it could mean they have no further interest in the wifi-only version. Or any update must work on all PBs and he is truthful about waiting for carriers. With Rim, who knows what the truth is?
    09-11-12 06:40 PM

I hope this helps!

John"
    So all that matters now is the 4G Playbook and those with wifi only versions can take a flying leap at the moon? What the heck does that have to do with the general release of 2.1? I agree that it seems to be yet another lame excuse for releasing nothing. If we're not getting it have the decency to own it. Come on RIM.....I love ya but enuff is enuff.
    09-11-12 07:54 PM
    Won't either pb be getting the same updates beyond radio things the 4g one may get exclusive?

I never thought of them getting other updates otherwise that the wifi wouldn't get at the same time.
    No, for example 2.1 beta is not available for the LTE PlayBook. They are separate builds.
    09-11-12 07:58 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD