08-09-13 02:42 PM
201 ... 6789
tools
    Time to move on. One GB of RAM is not enough- that seems to be established. The processor and graphics hardware are not good enough. But Heins ought to give us a more complete explanation of the reason for dropping the project.

New devices from BB have two GB RAM as do those from most competitors. The necessity for having an Android runtime on top of the base OS is a problem the others don't have although Windows might come to that. Heins could not weigh down the BB10 programmers with the requirement that it be backward compatible with the PB even allowing some adjustments. I'm sure he realized that there would be deep disappointment and accusation of promise breaking by the PB owners but perhaps he hoped for some understanding from the PB owners. He might have gotten this if he had put forth a letter announcing the decision to the PB owners and explaining the reasoning in advance of the public announcement. Now they have some damage repair to do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    I'm sorry but this 2gb that everyone keeps harping on about is utter cobblers.

Most 'modern' tablets don't have 2gb of ram, and those that do have 'retina' style displays that require the extra ram to drive the extra resolution of the displays.

It's just plain bad coding for an os to require such a large amount of ram, especially a 'mobile' os. Hell even windows, which is famously bad on memory can work quite happily on less than 1gb - and that's a full desktop.
    FF22 and WeAreNotAlone like this.
    08-04-13 04:01 PM
    Thorsten Heins shows remorse
    Any word on the hard thinking Thor is doing to recognize loyal but disenchanted PlayBook users?-thorsten-lie.jpg
    FF22, MasterOfBinary and Tazos like this.
    08-04-13 06:24 PM
    I'm sorry but this 2gb that everyone keeps harping on about is utter cobblers.

Most 'modern' tablets don't have 2gb of ram, and those that do have 'retina' style displays that require the extra ram to drive the extra resolution of the displays.

It's just plain bad coding for an os to require such a large amount of ram, especially a 'mobile' os. Hell even windows, which is famously bad on memory can work quite happily on less than 1gb - and that's a full desktop.
    Are you still running Windows XP? Windows now is not happy with less than 2GB on the weak Atom or 4 on the more powerful Intels. Last year the Nexus 7 had one GB RAM but this year it has two. Apple is noted for having low RAM but they haven't multitasked and they have control over their app market. Interesting to see what the new iOS 7 will do on the iPad2. Even the Chromecast dongle has 0.5 GB.

08-04-13 06:47 PM
    What is Thor going to do? Who cares? Based on his track record for telling the truth I would walk outside and look up if the guy told me the sky was blue. BB10 has hit the market like a herd of turtles. The Q5 is coming to Canada which tells me they're going after the cheapskate market to try to cut Apple off. They are still circling the drain on the phones so why would they expend any effort to make the tablet users happy? Keep in mind, we are the community they've consistently defecated on, beaten and sent to bed with no dinner. Enjoy your "professional grade" tablet because you've got what you're gonna get.
    FF22 and WeAreNotAlone like this.
    08-04-13 09:35 PM
    I know its been grossly over done, but I want in on the action. so my before noted mention out of the way here it is......... Thor will give playbook owners info regarding reconciliation SOON.

oh golly that felt good.

EDIT: I'm still bowing my head in shame
    buntaluffigus2 likes this.
    08-04-13 10:56 PM
    I know its been grossly over done, but I want in on the action. so my before noted mention out of the way here it is......... Thor will give playbook owners info regarding reconciliation SOON.

oh golly that felt good.

EDIT: I'm still bowing my head in shame
    I do hate to disagree (well, that might be fudging it but thor fudges things), but I believe it will be AROUND THE CORNER.
    cmdr_dan and idahobatman like this.
    08-04-13 11:10 PM
    Are you still running Windows XP? Windows now is not happy with less than 2GB on the weak Atom or 4 on the more powerful Intels. Last year the Nexus 7 had one GB RAM but this year it has two. Apple is noted for having low RAM but they haven't multitasked and they have control over their app market. Interesting to see what the new iOS 7 will do on the iPad2. Even the Chromecast dongle has 0.5 GB.

Contrary to popular (CB) belief, iOS does multitask, as does Android. The way they do it is different though, to save resources. But if an app needs to run in the background it can - in some cases with minor restrictions. Because of this both OSs use a lot less memory than BB10 and that's the reason we see cheap Android phones and old iPhones still run the latest version of iOS with only a minor loss of functionality.

If we're talking about Windows, I had a Vista machine with 1.25GB RAM that ran fine and Windows 7 is even better. Granted, the experience wasn't amazing (until I upgraded to 7) but it worked. Windows 7 is more than happy with 1GB RAM as long as you aren't running memory-intensive programs.

TL;DR BB10 isn't very efficient as a mobile OS.
    08-04-13 11:13 PM

The majority of Windows phones have MB of RAM and run very nicely (about 2% of the apps need 1GB).

As someone who was in the business for over 40 years, I know something about making code efficient due to memory restrictions. The head of one of our software development departments said it's easier to throw hardware at a problem. To be efficient requires talent.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-05-13 08:11 AM
    Thorsten Heins shows remorse

Actually it is rumored there was a early morning fire at Thorsten Heins house months ago in which the fire department discovered some internal documents that might not have painted him as being as forthcoming as he claims to be concerning the true story behind the PlayBook OS update to BB10 and those thousands upon thousands of unsold old DEAD stocks of PlayBooks that have been languishing in warehouses and Retailers inventory for the past 12-18+ months.

There is reportedly a statement obtained from one of the wives of one of the fireman saying her husband's personality changed almost over-nite and he started throwing extravagant parties, some which would last several days. The wife saying that during the course of those parties her husband was found in bed with several young ladies at the SAME time on several occasions.

Pic of husband said to be popular with the girls all of the sudden:
    Any word on the hard thinking Thor is doing to recognize loyal but disenchanted PlayBook users?-husband-during-party.jpg

How can I compensate you guys for coming out today?

She claims that all of this started after her husband of 15yrs and his fellow teammates responded to a call at the Heins residence. Her husband telling her a story of Heins being visibly shaken upon finding out firemen while breaking down a wall while at the residence had run across a cache documents detailing how the PlayBook was the PERFECT "vehicle" for being used to promote sales of the new and upcoming BB10 OS at the time, and that the plan was to tell all the PlayBook owners they'd get updated to BB10 to make the PlayBook "current" in so as to get them excited, as excitement creates sales which would boost BB10 device sales and at the same time help to clear out old PlayBook stocks around the world.

She said her husband told her the cache of documents outlined that Blackberry was aware of the system requirements of BB10 OS as far back as late mid-quarter, early 3rd quarter 2012 with BlackBerry deciding to kill off the project shortly after so a plan was developed in which they would keep quiet, Then wait as long as possible before releasing this info while concurrently promoting to PlayBook owners and potential customers that all PlayBooks would be getting updated to BB10.

Also within the cache was also a rough draft outlining a plan for minimizing the negative impact all this would create so they opted for a low key announcement (A "Earnings Call", Not a press release) being planned several months after BB10 devices had rolled out, the idea to wait until a sizable amount of BB10 owners were experiencing problems with the new OS in so as to A: Not interfere, or negatively impact the BB10 roll-out, and B: Allow BlackBerry to side-step going back on their word that all PlayBooks would get the BB10 Update, the company giving the reason that "resources are "limited" ,and that ALL resources are needed to address the problems of customers who had purchased BB10 devices.

This is a pic reported to taken by the wife during one of those parties, she said this was not all of it and her husband jokingly referred to this as:
    "Petty Cash", all of us guys got a bunch- enough to last several lifetimes"
    Any word on the hard thinking Thor is doing to recognize loyal but disenchanted PlayBook users?-million-dollars.jpg

According to phone records of the firehouse that responded to the early morning call to the Heins residence calls to the station went unanswered for a period of 6 and 1/2 hours that day, the official reason given was the phone had been knocked off the hook by the departments mascot, "Spot the dog" and that they had been washing the firetrucks the whole day, unaware the phone had been knocked off the hook.

Any word on the hard thinking Thor is doing to recognize loyal but disenchanted PlayBook users?-spot-dog.jpg

Early on in the story the wife unaware that all the above had transpired thinking her husband was cheating on her she hired a private detective after finding several sets of women's panties in her husbands truck.
    Upon investigating the husband a time-stamped receipt from a "Mini-Storage" warehouse was found bearing the same date as the missing 6 1/2 hrs. As the wife was unaware of the details of what had transpired thinking her husband was cheating on her she obtained a copy of surveillance footage showing a blurry video of what appears to be (2) rescue vehicles as a fire department would use which looked like they were heavily laden on their way into the mini-Storage facility, and appearing much lighter on there way out.

Later videos showed several vehicles entering and leaving over a several day period matching the descriptions of vehicles owned by the firemen that responded to the call, those appearing to be heavily laden on their way out as well.

Upon trying to contact the firemen that responded to the call, it is said all of them have since "retired" from the fire department and are on a vacation traveling around the world and cannot be reached. Upon visiting their houses in the attempt to do a interview, all of the houses were found to be empty with the houses listed for sale.

The wife who claimed all of this said she liked having the new found wealth but her husband became a totally different man in a period of days with him admitting of the affairs without remorse. Further attempts were made to contact the wife, but she sadly she passed away as she was involved in a freakish one car accident which took her life.

Upon researching public records it was found 3 of the 6 fireman had bought new cars, and one of the fireman, age 35 who working as a fireman earning $45,000 a year had just recently bought and paid cash for a small 10-seater twin engine jet.... The name of the Jet on the registration papers being "Thanks BB".
    Any word on the hard thinking Thor is doing to recognize loyal but disenchanted PlayBook users?-learjet_60_xr_in_flight_2_o.jpg

Inquiries were made into if the Canadian Government would be looking into this matter. While they refused to do a on camera interview, off camera our contacts within the government said government officials were just glad to see BlackBerry had finally figured out a way to get rid of all those old stocks of PlayBooks and that BlackBerry's survival was more important than anything else due to BlackBerry being a Canadian based Company.

A follow up inquiry was made with the response given that the status of the matter on the onset was considered to be a "Civil Matter" initially but upon review the status had been upgraded to fall under the heading of "National Security" and / or "Of Great Economic Interest" to the Canadian Government and there will be no further discussion on the matter, with a gag order being issued and the records being sealed for 50 years.

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 08-09-13 at 08:58 PM.
    Etios and Fuzzballz like this.
    08-05-13 09:40 AM
    Businesses are there to make money, not start relationships with their customers.
    Ah, so THAT'S why CRM (Customer Relation Management) isn't a billion dollar industry! Nope, relationships count for nothing in business. I mean seriously, why would the customer mean anything in relation to success?

Are you daft? No customer = no money. Businesses with poor CRM are doomed and bound to fail.
    lnichols, FF22 and WeAreNotAlone like this.
    08-06-13 10:26 AM
    Ah, so THAT'S why CRM (Customer Relation Management) isn't a billion dollar industry! Nope, relationships count for nothing in business. I mean seriously, why would the customer mean anything in relation to success?

Are you daft? No customer = no money. Businesses with poor CRM are doomed and bound to fail.
    Exactly. Pissing off even a small part of a dwindling user base is a dumb move!
    08-06-13 10:39 AM
    It's a simple fact that people buy from those they like and trust so yes it's always in a companies best interest to develop a good relationship with their customers, especially in a competitive market place. Businesses and entities that delivers products or services where they have little or no competition, government agencies, utilities, etc. being the exceptions.

Apparently this bit of basic marketing and sales wisdom has been lost to some extent by BBRY.
    08-06-13 11:14 AM
    When it was announced that there would be no update to bb10 for the PlayBook, the CEO I indicated they were doing some hard thinking about some sort of incentives for loyal PlayBook users. Any word on this? Incentive for A10? Or more of the same- lip service and no more?
    Posted via CB10
    Any you believed him
    Really?

Ragwan and Carl Estes like this.
    08-06-13 05:03 PM
    LOL! Dodge Neon

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 05:16 PM
    He's gonna give you the opportunity to buy the new BB10 Tablet when it comes out
    And if its anything like the "current" PB, I'm gonna give him the opportunity to shove it somewhere nice and cozy!

Love BB for the direction theyve taken with their new OS (and loving my z10)... but as far as tablets go with them atm, I think I would basically need a personal apology for having bought such a sub-standard product from a company I expected MUCH more from!
    08-07-13 07:46 PM
    What is Thor going to do? Who cares? Based on his track record for telling the truth I would walk outside and look up if the guy told me the sky was blue. BB10 has hit the market like a herd of turtles. The Q5 is coming to Canada which tells me they're going after the cheapskate market to try to cut Apple off. They are still circling the drain on the phones so why would they expend any effort to make the tablet users happy? Keep in mind, we are the community they've consistently defecated on, beaten and sent to bed with no dinner. Enjoy your "professional grade" tablet because you've got what you're gonna get.

While I don't agree with the tone of most of this post, I must say... professional grade tablet.... that was a bit of a joke... one I got suckered into, twice.

Any word on the hard thinking Thor is doing to recognize loyal but disenchanted PlayBook users?-shut-up-give-me-my-money-back-.jpg
    Last edited by buntaluffigus2; 08-07-13 at 09:00 PM.
    08-07-13 07:51 PM
    Time to move on. One GB of RAM is not enough- that seems to be established. The processor and graphics hardware are not good enough. But Heins ought to give us a more complete explanation of the reason for dropping the project.

New devices from BB have two GB RAM as do those from most competitors. The necessity for having an Android runtime on top of the base OS is a problem the others don't have although Windows might come to that. Heins could not weigh down the BB10 programmers with the requirement that it be backward compatible with the PB even allowing some adjustments. I'm sure he realized that there would be deep disappointment and accusation of promise breaking by the PB owners but perhaps he hoped for some understanding from the PB owners. He might have gotten this if he had put forth a letter announcing the decision to the PB owners and explaining the reasoning in advance of the public announcement. Now they have some damage repair to do.

Android phones/tablets with 1GB of RAM can run the latest Android 4.3. iPhones with 512MB of RAM can run the latest iOS7 (and the latest beta 5 runs pretty damn well on a 3 year old iPhone 4).

Unless BBRY have the worst coding team in the industry, they should be perfectly able to utilize the horsepower in the PlayBook to run BB10. Despite promising this, they have simply chosen not to, which sends a clear message to anyone in the market looking to get a new phone/tablet - avoid BBRY.
    msps, FF22, WeAreNotAlone and 2 others like this.
    08-09-13 05:46 AM

Yeah but all those you mention (assuming you are correct in the first place) are a lot more powerful than the playbook. Believe what you want but in this case your flat out wrong.
    08-09-13 07:23 AM

You simply do not know of what you speak.
    08-09-13 07:40 AM
    a lotta people here are basing what they believe solely on what blackberry is spewing out to them the fact is I have a old pc at my place with linux on it, mint 15 to be clear amd this rig has 2 gigs of ram.

now I'm able to run and run pretty well windows 7 in virtualbox with 1 gig alotted ram and that's a full desktop os and microsoft makes the most bloated code.

now could anyone in the right mind tell me why bb10 witch is a marginally scaled up pbos cannot run on one gig of ram ?

otherwise id likely and wholeheartedly agree that blackberry has the worst of the worst bottom of the barrel engineers who were only recently upgraded from scriptkitties
    08-09-13 08:23 AM
    Yeah I need a knew one too. But will it be a BlackBerry, after everyting...?
    08-09-13 08:41 AM
    You simply do not know of what you speak.
    Thankee. Others have voiced the same opinion so I am somewhat hardened to the slaps.

08-09-13 08:46 AM
    Time to move on. One GB of RAM is not enough- that seems to be established.
    It has been established that 1GB RAM is enough for

Windows
    Mac OS
    Linux
    Chrome OS

iOS
    Android
    Symbian
    Windows Phone
    BADA
    Tizen
    Sailfish by Jolla
    MeeGo
    Firefox OS
    08-09-13 12:26 PM
    It has been established that 1GB RAM is enough for

Windows
    Mac OS
    Linux
    Chrome OS

iOS
    Android
    Symbian
    Windows Phone
    BADA
    Tizen
    Sailfish by Jolla
    MeeGo
    Firefox OS
    However it has also been established that no amount of RAM is enough for HeinsOS.
    Or is that HeinsBS?
    FF22 likes this.
    08-09-13 12:50 PM
    Boy I am convinced - lets go back to 64 kB.

08-09-13 01:20 PM
201 ... 6789