I will be working out of the country for a couple of months and with only a 16gb playbook obviously space is very limited. I will have my laptop with me with movies and stuff on but will not be able to access it all the time for reasons too complicated to explain. I will have access to wifi however although it's not a great connection.

Is there anyway I can perhaps access my home computer which will be connected to my home network all the time and download stuff to my pb remotely?

Sorry if it's a daft question but I'm a muppet!
    06-07-12 06:12 AM
    Well you can use some of the remote control apps that are available (like Splashtop) to control your home computer using your PB. Using your PB to access your home computer you can upload what ever file(s) you want to a file sharing site (like mediafire), then download it to your PB. This seems like a lot of work but that's the only way I can think of, as to my knowledge there isn't an app that allows you to download files directly to your PB, IF you are not on the same network.
    06-07-12 06:25 AM
    An alternative is to set up a load of free DropBox-type Accounts (DropBox, Sugarsync, Google, Box, etc)

Buy Files & Folders (or something similar) for your PB (if you don't already have this functionality)

Upload your PC data onto the various DropBox-type Accounts (you should get at least 30Gb across the lot)

et voila! Just sync/download the different pieces of data whenever you want
    06-07-12 07:08 AM
    And Box.. 50GB free storage.. though I do not know if they have size limit or fomat limits on free account..
    06-07-12 07:16 AM
    Do you have any NAS which has personal cloud functionality (eg WD2GO on a WD MyBookLive)

I can remotely access my NAS from a desktop/laptop/iPad - in theory I should be able to access it from my PlayBook too (though I just get stuck on the Share page immediately after login.....)
    06-07-12 07:19 AM
    Question 1. Are you using Windows. If so down load the Skydrive app.
    If you haven't setup a Windows Live account, do it now. It is free, Or if you have a hotmail account, then you do have Windows Live account in which you have Skydrive. Through Skydrive by way of WindowsLive webpage, and I stress this. Go to bottom of Webpage and select pc site to have the desktop version of windows live come up. You will have access to your hard drives on your computers by way of Skydrive after you set it up. Yes it is secure. Anytime you sign on to your computer by way of skydrive, you will be emailed a passcode to enter or you will not be connected.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-07-12 09:13 AM
    Just use dropbox, get it instales in your computar and get the Android versin it works pretty well on the playbook or try Files & Folders, it has dropbox and also works fantastic
    06-07-12 10:34 AM
    With splashtop you can control remotely your pc. Then you can remotely open your email account in your remote computer attach the file you need and send it to yourself, you will receive the email in your playbook with the attached file or you could upload the files from your remote computer to the cloud, box was giving 50GB to playbook users, then you can download the file to your playbook using the Box app or the files and folders app.
    Another way is just to open the file that you want remotely using splashtop and print it to Print to Go, you will receive the file as a Pdf in your playbook.
    And as some else suggested, before you travel, just upload all the files you want to the cloud, box, drop box, etc,etc.
    Finally, there is an app called WoL, if the hardware of your pc supports waking on Lan, you can power on and off your pc remotely.
    Last edited by surferito; 06-07-12 at 11:24 AM.
    06-07-12 10:49 AM