I see many classified ads locally for the BlackBerry Playbook. Some are used, others say theirs is new in box / unopened, etc. The price is usually much less than a new one (i.e. $475 for an unopened 64Gb PlayBook that sells for $699 plus tax). I'm wondering if there's any risk in buying one of those? I'm not sure where people got them from. If they were purchased from a store, they would have been opened. I suppose some may have won them in a contest or something but that doesn't happen every day. Some could be stolen but what are the odds that an unopened / new in box PlayBook is "hot"? Could the PIN or serial number have been black listed somehow and why would that be? Also, what about the warranty, is it registered when the PlayBook is updated for the first time and provided by RIM directly or would a store normally be required to provide warranty exchange or repair? Sorry for all the questions. I usually buy new but this time the potential saving is looking really good.
    07-21-11 09:15 PM
    There's always a risk when buying something from someone who isn't a retailer.

The biggest thing (especially from CL) is to make sure you are dealing with the person in a public place and always test out the product before buying it.

Don't EVER agree to ship an item for someone's Aunt in the Banana Republic ***or wherever else for that matter***

There is also a new marketing scheme going around that list products really low until you email them, then they tell you it's sold but they tell you of a good website where they got it. Theseare the worst in my opinion because you actually waste your time emailing these ******

pictures with embedded emails are another dead give away to a scammer...

Now most of these have to do with CL but just use judgement and deal in person

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-11 09:46 PM
    bought 2 playbook 16GB, both of them used. One from ebay and one from CL. ebay was straightforward and the seller scammed me in shipping but the device was in good shape. CL - you have to be careful and always insist on public places where lots of people gather and see the product first. Mine happened to be a good person and i got a great deal. Talk to the person in CL, do not agreee to meet at known shady place. Mine was at a walmart at a decent locale
    07-21-11 09:54 PM
    BUMP this topic, I have the same question!

Someone is selling, on kijiji, his playbook, brand new sealed in box. Wanted to know if I buy it, and If its stolen (never be sure because the guy isnt a retailer), do the playbook will work? And If I'm the first to open it, do I have the warranty? Anyone know a good way to check if the playbook is safe before buy it?

Thanks! Sorry for my poor english, I'm french
    07-27-11 10:28 AM
    http://www.blackberry.com/legal/warranty/handheld.shtml

The BlackBerry Handheld, the BlackBerry Cradle, and any other RIM hardware accessories, excluding external batteries and SIM cards, which are provided to YOU concurrently and in conjunction with the BlackBerry Handheld specifically for use with YOUR particular model of BlackBerry Handheld (which together comprise the BlackBerry Hardware), will be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period that is the shorter of (i) one (1) year from the date that the new BlackBerry Handheld was first purchased by YOU as an original end-user ("YOU") and (ii) the period ending upon YOUR breach of the BlackBerry End-User/Software License Agreement (the "License Agreement") entered into between YOU and Research In Motion Limited and/OR its affiliated group of companies' ("RIM") in connection with the BlackBerry Solution (the "Warranty Period"). This Limited Warranty is not transferable. ...
    Only the original purchace is covered by the warranty.
    07-27-11 11:11 AM
    Isn't the answer to your "Is there risk in buying a used Playbook" obvious? Seriously... I can't believe you're even asking this question to which the answer is so obvious.
    07-27-11 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD