Tim, it doesn't matter how we feel. While I agree that the whole situation has been handled poorly and it is sad, the best we can do is express our disappointment and occasionally blow off steam with "black humor" postings. Rim will do what it does best and we can allow its blind supporters to suggest what that is. Clearly, they've run into additional problems with this potential release and they probably don't want to redo the .668 fiasco - well, not too many times anyway.

Now do _I_ expect a 2.1 release - probably sometime but sometime could be one more lengthly wait.
    Agreed. And while the seemingly endless "optimism no matter what happens" attitude of some annoys the crap out of me sometimes, I think I'd have given up hope a long time ago without them. I obviously have no idea what "soon" or "around the corner" is in RIM time so I'm just gonna roll with what I have and be content with that. If something is released - yay, if not, my pb does what I need it to do at this point so I can live with that as well.
    09-28-12 10:39 AM
    Yes RIM has confirmed numerous times that the PlayBook will get the BlackBerry 10 OS.

RIM: PlayBook BlackBerry 10 update locked in - SlashGear
    I'm not so sure they have confirmed it "numerous times"... everyone, including me , has always quoted the same statement made by Rob Orr a couple of months before Thor dropped the "BB10 delayed until Q1'13" bombshell back in June.

Has anyone seen a more recent statement (or tweet ) stating that BB10 will come to PB? Anything post-bombshell will do.
    09-28-12 11:04 AM
    I'm not so sure they have confirmed it "numerous times"... everyone, including me , has always quoted the same statement made by Rob Orr a couple of months before Thor dropped the "BB10 delayed until Q1'13" bombshell back in June.

Has anyone seen a more recent statement (or tweet ) stating that BB10 will come to PB? Anything post-bombshell will do.
    Still sifting through the shrapnel and removing pieces from my back but will get back to you SOON!
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-28-12 11:22 AM

Shameless plug (I knew this would come in handy):

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-745327/
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-28-12 01:59 PM
    Shameless plug (I knew this would come in handy):

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-745327/
    It's OK... be shameless. Modesty is over-rated.

Thanks for that, I'll watch the video tomorrow - it's late on this side of the pond.

I see the reference to BBM coming to PB... did he also say BB10 would come too?

For me, old cynic that I am, the reference must specifically be to PB as there's a lot of ambiguity in recent RIM statements about staying in the "tablet market" which gives wriggle-room to drop PB and release some new tablet.
    09-28-12 03:55 PM
    I agree that not even mentioning the product once is a really bad sign. Although I wouldn't call it "dead," just means it's now been put in the nursing home to forget about until it's dead.

I still don't entirely understand why people really care whether BB10 will be put on the PB. What exactly would change in your use of the product? The reason the phones need BB10 is that the old Java-based OS is so slow and limited. The PB doesn't have that problem.
    Sorry for late reply, and other people may have replied already with similar answer (haven't read up to the last page yet), but our playbook currently is not as smooth as the demoed bb10. Sure the basic operation of the playbook OS is VERY smooth, but when I open 1 or 2 games along with maybe 2 other light apps, I still have around 200MB of ram left, but the OS becomes noticeably "jittery." And Not to mention the app world is really choppy, compared to the app world in bb10 demoed at the Jam. And the entire OS seemed to be MUCH smoother and snappier than our playbook OS. There may be a faster CPU on those phones, but our playbook's dual core chip is more than capable to be as smooth, just like the iPad 1 and 2. Keyboard pop up and down are always choppy as well, whereas it was super smooth on bb10 demo.

These are just a few things that are much better with the bb10 than playbook os 2.1 beta and 2.0.1 official.

I can live with 2.0.1 or 2.1, but I would be really happy to get the bb10 update, as it definitely is going to make the playbook perform MUCH better (according to the bb10 demo I watched).
    09-28-12 09:02 PM
    Yes RIM has confirmed numerous times that the PlayBook will get the BlackBerry 10 OS.

RIM: PlayBook BlackBerry 10 update locked in - SlashGear
    Are you sure?

RIM has a habit of changing their decisions at the very last millisecond...

Anyone has the video saved on their hard drive where Thor said BB10 will come to the PlayBook?
    09-28-12 11:00 PM
    Are you sure?

RIM has a habit of changing their decisions at the very last millisecond...

Anyone has the video saved on their hard drive where Thor said BB10 will come to the PlayBook?
    Yes, I'm sure. I didn't pay attention to whatever Thorsten may have said about it but numerous other RIM employees at BlackBerry Jam Americas discussed it with me and there was no hint of anything other than that it was in planned for after BB10 launch on the phones, and not too long after either.

They want it on the tablet, they intend to get it on the tablet, they will get it on the tablet, but they just aren't spending a whole lot of time working on that at the moment because, obviously, phones are a much MUCH higher priority.

If you want to make a guess when it will be available, consider what effort it will take to modify Cascades and related parts of the UI from the primarily portrait phones, to the primarily landscape tablet, with a different pixel size (coarser pixels, i.e. everything needs to be scaled down somewhat), different modes of use, etc, and to optimize it adequately for the older hardware.

Then consider when they will be done enough of the phone work to start shifting resources off of it (and note that this is probably somewhat before launch, but could be after).

Next pick when you think the phones will launch.

Then do some math and give us your best guess.

Mine is around June next year... I'm hoping that's too conservative but not counting on it.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-30-12 01:30 PM
    OK Mr. Battery Guru. How long is my by then used and charged every day for 2 years pb battery going to last? Until BB10 is on it then it's going to croak from life span so I never get to experience it?

I do get they need to concentrate on the phones but I hope we get a few more bones before then.
    If people have been seeing a downward trend in battery health, they don't seem to have been sharing it very much. Mine are still quite stable at 87% (221 recharges) for my original, and 93% (172 recharges) for my year-old one.

At this rate, all our batteries will probably still be perfectly serviceable by the time we get BB10 on the tablets. I'm getting the impression RIM's engineers were extremely conservative in their design for the battery and charging system on these things. Maybe they'll last forever! ;-)
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-30-12 01:33 PM
    If people have been seeing a downward trend in battery health, they don't seem to have been sharing it very much. Mine are still quite stable at 87% (221 recharges) for my original, and 93% (172 recharges) for my year-old one.

At this rate, all our batteries will probably still be perfectly serviceable by the time we get BB10 on the tablets. I'm getting the impression RIM's engineers were extremely conservative in their design for the battery and charging system on these things. Maybe they'll last forever! ;-)
    Your comments made me go check Battery Guru myself, since I haven't used it in awhile. I've had my PB 9 months and my Battery Health say 98%. I use the PB every single day. I rarely let it discharge deep (only once a month to recalibrate it). I believe frequent shallow charges prolongs battery life. I plug mine in every night.
    09-30-12 01:42 PM
    I'm getting the impression RIM's engineers were extremely conservative in their design for the battery and charging system on these things. Maybe they'll last forever! ;-)
    This is probably the approach they took considering the PlayBook is the only current BlackBerry without a removable battery.
    09-30-12 01:43 PM

Thanks I'm at 83 so that should be good for a few more years unless it'll just all of a sudden drop at some point.
    09-30-12 01:47 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD