LOL!! Some of you are like a bunch of puppies, hearing the owners mention the phrase " wanna go outside and play"?. All ears perk up, running round, jumping up and down getting all excited. When all the energy is spend you just lay down on the floor, still hoping that you heard what you heard and keeping your ears perk up and never give up that it's going to be real. And then you got some that get off and just and all over the house to exact your revenge...
    That was literary genius. It does describe some of my own behaviour since buying the BlackBerry PlayBook in April 2011. I have since learned not to believe "my owner."
    VanTryumf likes this.
    09-27-12 09:41 AM
    Just another post here, saying that yes, BB10 will absolutely make it to the PlayBook. The situation has not changed from before BlackBerry Jam Americas, which is that it will certainly arrive, but definitely not before the launch of the first BB10 phones.

Please don't expect it a week or two later though... that's just not going to happen. All efforts are focused on BB10 on the phone form factor at the moment, so you should be prepared for some months of further work before they get it "adjusted" to fit the rather different form factor of the PlayBook.

But it will come... there's really no question about it. And feel free to hold off until around January before asking again, because it's unlikely we'll learn anything new on the matter before then. ;-)
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-27-12 09:48 AM
    Just another post here, saying that yes, BB10 will absolutely make it to the PlayBook. The situation has not changed from before BlackBerry Jam Americas, which is that it will certainly arrive, but definitely not before the launch of the first BB10 phones.

Please don't expect it a week or two later though... that's just not going to happen. All efforts are focused on BB10 on the phone form factor at the moment, so you should be prepared for some months of further work before they get it "adjusted" to fit the rather different form factor of the PlayBook.

But it will come... there's really no question about it. And feel free to hold off until around January before asking again, because it's unlikely we'll learn anything new on the matter before then. ;-)
    OK Mr. Battery Guru. How long is my by then used and charged every day for 2 years pb battery going to last? Until BB10 is on it then it's going to croak from life span so I never get to experience it?

I do get they need to concentrate on the phones but I hope we get a few more bones before then.

Edit: just to say the question sounded like I was beotching but not the case Peter. I just want to know if next year in September when BB10 is finally out for the pb will my pb still work or will my battery be dead from exhausted life span.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 09-27-12 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Sounded harsh?
    balding1 and howarmat like this.
    09-27-12 09:55 AM
    I think Peter9477 is right about tweaks and sizing the OS, but also wanted to add that BB Jam seemed to talk about BB10, not their phones. I didn't see any upcoming phones being looked at there, but I seen a throw away alpha device that sole purpose was to show off what BB10 will look like and how it was to function.

I think there are some people who are inadvertently (and some purposely) looking way to hard for reasons RIM will fail them. Everything from PlayBook is dead because they didn't mention it to RIM sucks because the the display phone looks absolutely horrible.

BB Jam maybe focusing on the phone's form factor, but it is not focusing on phones (that is obviously not the new line of phone they are showcasing BB10 on), and they are not focusing on tablets. This isn't about their hardware, it is about their software. It is about BB10.
    09-27-12 11:14 AM
    I agree that not even mentioning the product once is a really bad sign. Although I wouldn't call it "dead," just means it's now been put in the nursing home to forget about until it's dead.

I still don't entirely understand why people really care whether BB10 will be put on the PB. What exactly would change in your use of the product? The reason the phones need BB10 is that the old Java-based OS is so slow and limited. The PB doesn't have that problem.
    testerdennis and rshew like this.
    09-27-12 12:05 PM
    I agree that not even mentioning the product once is a really bad sign. Although I wouldn't call it "dead," just means it's now been put in the nursing home to forget about until it's dead.

I still don't entirely understand why people really care whether BB10 will be put on the PB. What exactly would change in your use of the product? The reason the phones need BB10 is that the old Java-based OS is so slow and limited. The PB doesn't have that problem.
    09-27-12 12:06 PM

I want a hardened browser that screams and doesn't go poof or hang.

I want native BBM with video chat for me and my kids. I want it all ;-)
    09-27-12 12:37 PM
    OK Mr. Battery Guru. How long is my by then used and charged every day for 2 years pb battery going to last? Until BB10 is on it then it's going to croak from life span so I never get to experience it?

I do get they need to concentrate on the phones but I hope we get a few more bones before then.

Edit: just to say the question sounded like I was beotching but not the case Peter. I just want to know if next year in September when BB10 is finally out for the pb will my pb still work or will my battery be dead from exhausted life span.
    Good question. I have 366 recharge cycles and my health is been at 85% for a while now. I don't remember seeing a health any better then the low 90's so it doesn't seem to be dropping too fast.
    I think we will see BB10 on the PB before September.
    09-27-12 01:02 PM
    Good question. I have 366 recharge cycles and my health is been at 85% for a while now. I don't remember seeing a health any better then the low 90's so it doesn't seem to be dropping too fast.
    September 2013 or 2014?
    09-27-12 04:01 PM
    Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    09-27-12 04:03 PM
    Has anyone ever thought that 2.1 won't be coming out?
    09-27-12 04:04 PM
    Only 130K units shipped over the last 3 months?? And people wonder why no one is developing apps for this platform.....
    09-27-12 04:11 PM
    Has anyone ever thought that 2.1 won't be coming out?
    Ummm yeah. There have been several speculative posts about this. Looks a lot like all hands are working on BB10 so who knows.
    09-27-12 04:17 PM
    I was being very conservative.
    09-27-12 04:32 PM
    Only 130K units shipped over the last 3 months?? And people wonder why no one is developing apps for this platform.....
    While not great numbers they aren't developing for the pb right now because the pb will be changed completely at its roots. They may or may not be developing for bb10 but when the phones are out that should increase users by a lot compared to the pb plus adding all the pb owners.

I'm not sure if a possible base of say 100,000 (small number I know) users if 10% of those (10,000) purchased an app charging .99 if $9,900 dollars would be worth it for them or not. I'm confident there many more than 100,000 users as there are many more pb users now.
    09-27-12 04:43 PM
    They didnt - so the logic seems to be that PB will now be discontinued and it's been completely abandoned 'sort it out RIM' etc. etc.

BB10 isn't a device though, it's an operating system that will run on BB devices. Loads of people seem to be hung up on it not appearing on playbook, I'm not getting in a panic yet though.
    Not sure where the logic comes from. With this logic, one can assume the iPad mini is also dead.

This is how the rumours and BS get spread on this site. And then one states a false release date, RIM gets blamed for everything, which they had nothing to do with
    09-27-12 09:11 PM
    Lack of talking about it means it's dead. I think if you get use out of Playbook as it is then great. Don't expect an upgrade though. Playbook is like "it never happened, now let's move on"...
    Thorsten won't dissapoint. The book is getting its due reward, however if you be patient you shall see the splendor that will be 2.1
    09-27-12 10:03 PM
    Thorsten won't dissapoint. The book is getting its due reward, however if you be patient you shall see the splendor that will be 2.1
    With an anticipated delay in releasing BlackBerry OS 10 for the BlackBerry PlayBook now speculated to be September 2013, we can expect BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.1 released for the BlackBerry PlayBook sometime between winter and spring of next year...but only to appease currently BlackBerry PlayBook users just as Research In Motion did with an earlier release of BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0. In other words, any release of BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.1 will be solely to keep us on the hooked end of their fishing line; sometimes I feel like a fish.
    09-27-12 10:52 PM
    Signature: There is no "Crtl+Z" in life.
    Research In Motion could use a CTRL+Z about now. Maybe a CTRL+S would suffice. Hey S looks close enough to a mirrored reflection of Z.
    09-27-12 10:57 PM
    With an anticipated delay in releasing BlackBerry OS 10 for the BlackBerry PlayBook now speculated to be September 2013, we can expect BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.1 released for the BlackBerry PlayBook sometime between winter and spring of next year...but only to appease currently BlackBerry PlayBook users just as Research In Motion did with an earlier release of BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0. In other words, any release of BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.1 will be solely to keep us on the hooked end of their fishing line; sometimes I feel like a fish.
    LMAO please don't tell me you're spreading sept 2013 from my bs post about the battery! Or have you read that somewhere else? I just grabbed a month out of my azz for how long the battery will last.
    sam_g_84 likes this.
    09-27-12 11:00 PM
    There was no real positive reason to mention a product that has been a commercial failure as far as sales go.
    09-28-12 05:49 AM
    Doesn't it get old saying that over and over for months even years????

I'm sick of be "patient It"s coming".

And a noob at that!

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    09-28-12 07:00 AM
    Doesn't it get old saying that over and over for months even years????

I'm sick of be "patient It"s coming".

And a noob at that!

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Tim, it doesn't matter how we feel. While I agree that the whole situation has been handled poorly and it is sad, the best we can do is express our disappointment and occasionally blow off steam with "black humor" postings. Rim will do what it does best and we can allow its blind supporters to suggest what that is. Clearly, they've run into additional problems with this potential release and they probably don't want to redo the .668 fiasco - well, not too many times anyway.

Now do _I_ expect a 2.1 release - probably sometime but sometime could be one more lengthly wait.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-28-12 09:11 AM
    There was no real positive reason to mention a product that has been a commercial failure as far as sales go.
    If memory serves me, during the Apple vs Sammy trial, Sammy released sales figures for the Galazy tabs and they were in line (if not less) than the PlayBook.... so I'm not sure how you classify the PB as a "commercial failure as far as sales go".
    09-28-12 09:29 AM
    I'll just say that I've read many times higher ups at RIM state that BB10 will come to our PB.

If it does not I will be forced to move to something else as I will not trust them again. If it does and even if my pb is dead by then I will stick with them because I love my pb and the UI.

Right now I do believe it will.
    Yes RIM has confirmed numerous times that the PlayBook will get the BlackBerry 10 OS.

RIM: PlayBook BlackBerry 10 update locked in - SlashGear
    09-28-12 09:53 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD