Has anyone heard any mention of playbook at all.
    09-26-12 10:02 AM
    Has anyone heard any mention of playbook at all.
    None at the Jam session yesterday...but maybe today we can hear the word come out of thors mouth.
    Last edited by rupam95; 09-26-12 at 10:31 AM.
    pelletizer likes this.
    09-26-12 10:05 AM
    They didnt - so the logic seems to be that PB will now be discontinued and it's been completely abandoned 'sort it out RIM' etc. etc.

BB10 isn't a device though, it's an operating system that will run on BB devices. Loads of people seem to be hung up on it not appearing on playbook, I'm not getting in a panic yet though.
    pelletizer likes this.
    09-26-12 10:08 AM
    I am not in a panic, I am sure it will come.
    09-26-12 10:29 AM
    Lack of talking about it means it's dead. I think if you get use out of Playbook as it is then great. Don't expect an upgrade though. Playbook is like "it never happened, now let's move on"...
    09-26-12 10:38 AM
    The gestures on playbook look awfully similar to bb10, it's not much of a stretch to see it on playbook. I feel if the devs are going to develop for blackberry, it would look awfully nice on the larger screen.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    09-26-12 10:42 AM
    the BB10 demo looks like they are playing with a mini Playbook, so talking about BB10 is like talking about the Playbook os.....the phone is catching up to the Playbook
    pelletizer likes this.
    09-26-12 10:43 AM
    Any word as to how the phone version of the PB is selling? Would not expect RIMM to drop it unless an absolute disaster and if continued it should have BB10 support. Why wouldn't this carry over to wifi version?
    pelletizer likes this.
    09-26-12 10:46 AM
    Any word as to how the phone version of the PB is selling? Would not expect RIMM to drop it unless an absolute disaster and if continued it should have BB10 support. Why wouldn't this carry over to wifi version?
    I would get a phone with PlayBook's OS....with OS 2.1 that is.
    09-26-12 10:52 AM
    I'll just say that I've read many times higher ups at RIM state that BB10 will come to our PB.

If it does not I will be forced to move to something else as I will not trust them again. If it does and even if my pb is dead by then I will stick with them because I love my pb and the UI.

Right now I do believe it will.
    pelletizer and Neely2005 like this.
    09-26-12 11:09 AM
    I'm trying really hard to hold on to the belief that BB10 will make it to our pbs. If it doesn't, I still love my pb and use it every day. As long as it boots up and I can do what I need (and want) to do with it, it's all good.
    pelletizer and malcymalc like this.
    09-26-12 11:20 AM
    I would get a phone with PlayBook's OS....with OS 2.1 that is.
    Well if you got one right now you wouldn't get BB10. If BB10 is as fantastic as its promoted to be you might change your mind. Glad so many people think 2.1 is so cool. Will be glad when (if) RIMM decides to take it out of beta and make it stock for us less adventurous PB users.
    09-26-12 11:26 AM
    Actually you don't have to be very adventurous using 2.1 Beta. It's been the best PB OS beta or non-beta. It's been proven by countless users to be stable and a big improvement over anything previous.
    pelletizer likes this.
    09-26-12 11:31 AM
    Internally BlackBerry10 is already on the PlayBook.
    09-26-12 02:29 PM
    I have spoken to 5 RIM employees today at Jam, all stated that 2.1 is coming. (Learning Cascades, good stuff)

One said "Soon", another "Imminent", another said "I expected it yesterday", another said "They had a lot of problems with it"

Not a lot to go on, but there it is.
    09-26-12 05:26 PM
    LMAO sounds like none of them know anything.
    richardat and howarmat like this.
    09-26-12 05:32 PM
    desktop browser for playbook

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    09-26-12 08:19 PM
    LOL!! Some of you are like a bunch of puppies, hearing the owners mention the phrase " wanna go outside and play"?. All ears perk up, running round, jumping up and down getting all excited. When all the energy is spend you just lay down on the floor, still hoping that you heard what you heard and keeping your ears perk up and never give up that it's going to be real. And then you got some that get off and just and all over the house to exact your revenge...
    09-26-12 08:58 PM
    Lack of talking about it means it's dead. I think if you get use out of Playbook as it is then great. Don't expect an upgrade though. Playbook is like "it never happened, now let's move on"...
    PlayBook is far from "dead" it will without a doubt get BB10 its been mentioned soo many times why mention it again now? Not to mention they jus released a 4G version so that jus gives more evidence the PlayBook. Is far from "dead"
    09-26-12 11:18 PM
    What scares me is I don't think this person is being sarcastic.

I don't work for RIM, but if RIM is letting the PlayBook die, they have a really weird way of showing it. There are new apps and games coming to App World everyday, and today we even got a free movie (Sherlock Holmes). From what I can gather, OS2.1 is almost here, with even more functionality, especially for BlackBerry owners. Offering the PlayBook as a 4G model with an upgraded processor is also an odd move for RIM to make if it were letting its only tablet die.

The PlayBook had an almost nonexistent launch, which as we all know, really hurt sales or any potential sales. I know the PlayBook 4G isn't offered in the U.S. yet, but when/if it is, I'd hope RIM would come out with a cool commercial or two, especially since PlayBook on OS2.0 feels like a totally new tablet experience than the PlayBook at launch. There's clearly a market for a 7inch tablet, like we saw with the Kindle Fire, Nexus 7, and the rumors of the iPad mini or whatever they're calling it. Even the new Nooks look impressive, and there's a 7inch model.

So not only has RIM pretty much shown that they're not letting the PlayBook die (especially since the PlayBook is the only visible stepping stone to BlackBerry 10, that RIM can point to and say, "see! Look what our stuff is capable of), but they'd have to be dumb to let it die, and ceding any small piece of the tablet market to competitors.
    BerryClever likes this.
    09-26-12 11:48 PM
    Not even a single use of the word PlayBook. That's bad folks. If the PlayBook aint dead now, it probably should be. The PlayBook was a total failure for RIM. The worst peforming product they have ever launched. Kinda like the Storm, RIM was really quick to forget that it existed also. The only difference is the Storm sold much better and didn't cost RIM a boat load of money.

Wasting resources on the PlayBook right now just doesn't make sense. BlackBerry 10 won't launch till 2013. How old will the WiFi PlayBook be by then? Why spend time working on a update for it? Its not like BlackBerry 10 will all of a sudden erase all of the damage the PlayBook has done. People won't rush out to buy it just because of a OS update. RIM needs to be smart and use what time they have left to make the BlackBerry 10 phone launch as successful as possible.
    09-26-12 11:58 PM
    the BB10 demo looks like they are playing with a mini Playbook, so talking about BB10 is like talking about the Playbook os.....the phone is catching up to the Playbook
    Really? I don't think the BB10 phone is playing catch up to the PB at all . The PB OS is pretty much the forefront version of QNX mobile OS. The BB10 OS will be incorporated with more awesome features that didn't even exist on PB OS( if you have been following the CrackBerry news you should know). BB10 is more of an expanded and tuned up version of PB OS, which truly show the power of QNX.

RIM CEO have already stated a fact that that the PB will get BB10 update. I don't think he would go back on his words for the sake of being a CEO
    Last edited by baolam86; 09-27-12 at 12:09 AM.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    09-27-12 12:07 AM
    Not even a single use of the word PlayBook. That's bad folks. If the PlayBook aint dead now, it probably should be. The PlayBook was a total failure for RIM. The worst peforming product they have ever launched. Kinda like the Storm, RIM was really quick to forget that it existed also. The only difference is the Storm sold much better and didn't cost RIM a boat load of money.

Wasting resources on the PlayBook right now just doesn't make sense. BlackBerry 10 won't launch till 2013. How old will the WiFi PlayBook be by then? Why spend time working on a update for it? Its not like BlackBerry 10 will all of a sudden erase all of the damage the PlayBook has done. People won't rush out to buy it just because of a OS update. RIM needs to be smart and use what time they have left to make the BlackBerry 10 phone launch as successful as possible.
    First, I still believe that BB10 will make its way, eventually, to the Playbook. And even if it doesn't, it's not like you can't still turn the Playbook on and use it. It's only dead if my screen cracks and my battery dies; and is too expensive to repair.

But one other possibility - purely based on my speculation and nothing else - is that the existing Playbook wasn't mentioned because RIM plans to leave the Playbook behind and introduce a totally new tablet after BB10 phones have been released. Basically, RIM will start over in the tablet market - learning from the mistakes of the past - and launch an all new tablet perhaps with an all new name in an attempt to distance themselves from the negative image of the existing Playbook.

The only reason I suggest this as a possibility is that RIM has repeatedly gone out of their way to indicate that the tablet the market is important; they have said that they want to stay one way or the other in the tablet market as they feel that that is where consumers/public/business is heading. Assuming that this is still true at RIM, then perhaps later next year after the phones are released, a brand new tablet product will be launched. Again, this is pure speculation on my part, but at this exact moment, despite everything that has happend with the Playbook, I dont think that RIM wants to abandon the tablet market yet.
    09-27-12 12:47 AM
    I don't think the PlayBook is dead at all, or that the the little amount of mentioning at a BB10 development event says anything about the future of the PlayBook.

This BBJam has been all about getting people ready to develop for BB10. It has really been a heavy concentration on the BB10 OS and APIs. From everything I've seen here, that is where the concentration needs to be. I have learned more about BB10 development than I did in Orlando, that's for sure. A lot has changed since then as well. Everyone here is concentrating on BB10, which is really where it should be. They have also stated that OS 2.1 will be on the PlayBook, and from what I've seen, I believe them. I just didn't expect to hear a lot about the PlayBook OS at a BB10 event.

I think the correct way to phrase things is that the PlayBook OS is dead (although there were several presenters in the porting lounge helping to get apps over onto the PlayBook OS). RIM has already said BB10 will be on the PlayBook, and the 4G PlayBook just came out. Even the roadmap shows another PlayBook (PlayBook 2?) to be released in 2012.

PlayBook OS 2.x being near EOL? Sure.
    PlayBook hardware dead? Not even close.
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-27-12 09:06 AM
    I don't think the PlayBook is dead at all, or that the the little amount of mentioning at a BB10 development event says anything about the future of the PlayBook.

This BBJam has been all about getting people ready to develop for BB10. It has really been a heavy concentration on the BB10 OS and APIs. From everything I've seen here, that is where the concentration needs to be. I have learned more about BB10 development than I did in Orlando, that's for sure. A lot has changed since then as well. Everyone here is concentrating on BB10, which is really where it should be. They have also stated that OS 2.1 will be on the PlayBook, and from what I've seen, I believe them. I just didn't expect to hear a lot about the PlayBook OS at a BB10 event.

I think the correct way to phrase things is that the PlayBook OS is dead (although there were several presenters in the porting lounge helping to get apps over onto the PlayBook OS). RIM has already said BB10 will be on the PlayBook, and the 4G PlayBook just came out. Even the roadmap shows another PlayBook (PlayBook 2?) to be released in 2012.

PlayBook OS 2.x being near EOL? Sure.
    PlayBook hardware dead? Not even close.
    From your mouth to G-d's ear!
    09-27-12 09:09 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD