I'm one of those users that own an iPad 2 and went out and got a PlayBook. Practically speaking, I'm just wondering if having 2 tablets makes sense.

Anyone else doing this? How do you plan on using both?
    04-20-11 07:00 PM
    I'm doing the exact same thing. I just got the playbook and my wi-fi 3g iPad 2 will be arriving next week. I plan on keeping both. I think the size of the playbook may be a benefit for day to day use.
    04-20-11 07:07 PM
    I doubt you will get many takers. I would like to add a question to your thread rather than start a new one. Who is bought a PB, but does not have a BB. Who is sporting an iOS or Android device as their only phone, but chose the PB for their tablet of choice. I have said that the PB is an expensive accessory to a BB phone. I would love to be proven wrong.
    04-20-11 07:08 PM
    I'm a self described "tech geek", but so is my wife, we both work in the IT field, so, we have lots of gadgets around. I've had the iPad for quite a while, but we also have Android tablets too (Archos 70, 101). My wife has an iphone, and a Moto Backflip as well as a BB Torch. I used to have a droid HTC Hero (early adopter), but now just have two BB's currently (9700, 9800) and of course I have a 32GB PB. Life is too short not to try lots of platforms and OS. I plan to try out the Touchpad from HP when it arrives as well.
    04-20-11 07:17 PM
    My Playbook is arriving tomorrow and I am the current owner of an iPad.

The iPad is going to stay at home and be a media and game player for my kids. They can watch Dora and other stuff from iTunes and movies I've transcoded with Handbrake on it. Apps to watch some foreign shows we use as well. We'll also take it on road trips if the kids need it.

My Playbook is going to be paired with my blackberry and I'll use it for reviewing documents. I've also got a 4G LTE hotspot. Since it's more portable, I'll also carry it to work with me daily on my train commute and use it to check my e-mail and respond. I'll also use it as a media consumption device on my commute for my movies, reading NYT and WSJ, and listening to music. Hopefully they'll have Kindle, Zinio and Netflix apps soon as well.

I'll also use it in business meetings to "carry" large documents (doc, ppt, and PDFs) relating to my work so I don't have to have a massive pile of paper. It'll be good to have thousands of pages of documents at my fingertips without carrying a laptop.

I'll also use the Playbook in the gym. I compete in Brazilian jiu jitsu so I record some of my training sessions on video for breakdown and review later. I hate carrying an extra camera because phone video is so bad. So I'll use it to take notes in BJJ class and to video myself sparring (rolling in our vernacular) to look for mistakes and areas for improvement.

So 5 purposes:

iPad - home and in car media consumption. 10" screen is better for the kids and wife and I don't have to worry about it as much.

Playbook - commute media device
    Playbook - commute e-mail review device
    Playbook - document library, note taker and internet access for business meetings
    Playbook - video recorder and note taker for jiu jitsu training

So for us, iPad = inside the home media and game device for the whole family
    Playbook = commuting and work and training device for me
    Last edited by kyopo; 04-20-11 at 07:21 PM.
    04-20-11 07:18 PM
    I doubt you will get many takers. I would like to add a question to your thread rather than start a new one. Who is bought a PB, but does not have a BB. Who is sporting an iOS or Android device as their only phone, but chose the PB for their tablet of choice. I have said that the PB is an expensive accessory to a BB phone. I would love to be proven wrong.
    I have no BB phone at the moment. I do, however, have an iPad 2 and a Galaxy Tab. What do I do with it all? Browse the interwebs of course!

On a serious note, I really like the iPad 2; seriously great tablet but it's too big for me. The Galaxy Tab is the perfect size for me but it's slow (actually it's not slow it's just not fast enough). Blackberry PlayBook? Perfect. Size is good, browser is fantastic and speed is nice. I'm waiting for native email and calendar apps to be available and I'll pretty much stop carrying the Tab and sell it. I'm keeping the iPad 2 because I have too much invested in apps and programs over the years (have had iPad 1 prior and currently own iPhone 4).
    Last edited by TheFarmer; 04-20-11 at 07:24 PM.
    04-20-11 07:22 PM
    i have an android phone...Google Nexus S...
    and i have a playbook and an ipad

ipad is mainly my wife's but i use it from time to time to play games or watch MLB games from their MLB at bat app.

i prefer the portability of the playbook..it's more comfortable holding than the ipad..and typing is much better and it handles DIVX files much better on playbook compared to ipad
    04-20-11 07:26 PM
    Cellphone I carry/own: Blackberry Style(miss my Torch), HTC ThunderBolt, iPhone 4
    Tablets I carry/own: iPad(16gb), ipad 2(32gb), Samsung Tab, Blackberry Playbook(16gb)

So far I am enjoying my playbook, I use my tablets mainly for surfing the web, video is a top priority, email, some apps, note taking and presentations.

After playing with it for a little I am thinking about keeping the iPad 2 at the house and carrying the Playbook to work and maybe church as well if there is a good bible app. if there is not one, than I will continue carrying the iPad 2 to church. I'm not sure if I will let my son carry the Playbook, I might continue letting him use the original iPad since he is only 6 and the Playbook has too many gestures he might not fully understand and I hate teaching people stuff.

Having multiple tablets do not make sense as I am selling off the Tab(which I do not use) and my original iPad(which I am not selling until Otterbox for iPad 2 comes out)
    04-20-11 07:28 PM
    i havea ipad and havent touched it since ive gotten my pb
    04-20-11 07:30 PM

So 5 purposes:

iPad - home and in car media consumption. 10" screen is better for the kids and wife and I don't have to worry about it as much.

Playbook - commute media device
    Playbook - commute e-mail review device
    Playbook - document library, note taker and internet access for business meetings
    Playbook - video recorder and note taker for jiu jitsu training

So for us, iPad = inside the home media and game device for the whole family
    Playbook = commuting and work and training device for me
    I tend to feel the same way.

My iPad may become my "stay at home" media consumption device with the PlayBook my commuting device.
    04-20-11 07:34 PM
    I'll be joining, but for now I have none lol.
    04-20-11 07:35 PM
    Most I think will agree - iPad for media, games, at home stuff and maybe long trips (especially with kids).

Playbook for the daily grind

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-11 07:41 PM
    I'll keep my iPad until the apps catch up on the PB side

However, I can't see myself bringing the iPad out anymore. In fact, prior to PB, I rarely use the iPad in public due to the size.
    04-20-11 07:45 PM
    also have the Playbook, G Tab and ipad 2. The G Tab was just retired and the ipad is a backup to the PB until a level of business oriented apps catch up on the PB. A client had a web meeting today using GoToMeeting. Ipad has that app but not the PB. After 5 mos with the G Tab 7" screen, the ipad screen serves doc/xls/ppt/pdf review and/or development better. so for now I'll use both.

The portability, build quality and OS/user interface make the PB #1 for me.
    04-20-11 07:47 PM
    I have an ipad1 since day 1. Love it for what it does. It's too big for some things but overall I love it. No need to upgrade to ipad2. Have the Playbook for size and BB integration. Like it at this point and expect to love it as it matures.
    04-20-11 07:53 PM
    i have and ipad2 and a playbook, had an iphone 4 but got rid of it (too expensive to travel with)
    i honestly hated the playbook at first. More i used it the more i like it. it is more of a computer than a glorified phone. it truely can multi task. i have got use to the bridging to my blackberry which does mean i do not need 2 data plans. Flash works great.

Would like to see more apps like the torch has, possibly a store to purchase movies like the ipad for when i travel.

Was disappointing the some of the advertised native apps are not present like advertised. i here they are coming.
    04-20-11 08:14 PM
    I don't have a personal smartphone because I don't need it (work at home most of the time). I do have a bold 9000 from AT&T but it is on OS 4.x. I'll upgrade once the AT&T bridge issue is resolved (just to try it out).

The Playbook is for consumer use for me, so I don't consider it a phone companion. I don't need native email. Calendar/Organizer/Contacts would be nice but I can wait for that.
    04-20-11 08:31 PM
    i have an iPad 2, and an iPhone 4. I now have a PB.. have not touched the iPad 2 since yesterday.. but I am more and more feeling the lack of basics such as email and calendar as well as the plethora of apps I am used to on the iPad (including not being able to read my eBooks on Kobo as we can't figure out a way to sideload ePubs..) I know that the apps will come.. so far now I'lll hold onto the PB.. but i may still have to return it within the 30 days if there is nothing happening on the horizon..
    04-20-11 08:48 PM
    I am a big Apple fan have been extremly pleased with their products and customer service so I will be getting a ipad 2 soon but did place order for playbook first. I also now use a Evo and cant wait till the 3d evo drops later this year.
    04-20-11 08:50 PM
    Most I think will agree - iPad for media, games, at home stuff and maybe long trips (especially with kids).

Playbook for the daily grind

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    funny - the exact same rationale in distinguishing the Torch from the iPhone
    04-20-11 09:28 PM
    funny - the exact same rationale in distinguishing the Torch from the iPhone
    agreed. one for for home, one for work.
    04-20-11 09:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD