I would love to be able to plug in to the PB. With a little mixer/recorder app it could be so much fun! Add a few stomp-box effects and it would be a winner. It might not happen, but one can dare to dream.

Music Man/SheratonII/tele -> Budda Phatman -> Mesa Blue Angel
    01-08-12 03:40 PM
    I would love to be able to plug in to the PB. With a little mixer/recorder app it could be so much fun! Add a few stomp-box effects and it would be a winner. It might not happen, but one can dare to dream.

Music Man/SheratonII/tele -> Budda Phatman -> Mesa Blue Angel
    Why say it's a dream when it can be done? With the right connectors you can plug in a mixer and stomp box effects easily. The only problem I can see is there is no good multi-track recorder for PB.
    01-08-12 03:52 PM
    Why say it's a dream when it can be done? With the right connectors you can plug in a mixer and stomp box effects easily. The only problem I can see is there is no good multi-track recorder for PB.
    The dream is to have an app that is a mixer/recorder/with effects. Unless you are working on one, it is still a dream
    01-08-12 04:02 PM
    The dream is to have an app that is a mixer/recorder/with effects. Unless you are working on one, it is still a dream
    Oh, ok. I misunderstood what you were saying. Yes there is no app like that for PB and I doubt there will be anything like that anytime soon. Even the multi-track recorders on the Android Market seem to get complaints they don't sync the tracks correctly. Never tried any of them though.

Maybe you could find something at some point that records only 2 tracks (stereo) though, with some effects and amps sims and what not. Wouldn't imagine it would really be that good though. But who knows once OS2 comes out.
    Last edited by space_traveler; 01-08-12 at 04:36 PM.
    Dr.Deebs likes this.
    01-08-12 04:30 PM
    The only one I found is called Playback.
    I haven't tried it though...
    01-08-12 04:37 PM
    Thanks for the input sir! (Pardon the pun) Impedance could be an issue... Hmmm... Yeah, I did prove the BB headset disconnects the mics.
    Thing is, I play in a band and for practice and gigging the mics will pick up way too much ambient noise. So, the only answer is plugging in.
    I think I might go all geek on this things' @$$ and get a 4 conductor plug that I can solder to a cable with a 1/4" female on the other end. That way I can take my normal guitar cable and plug it into this one.
    Still think you might have trouble, whatever you can rig up might need an interim preamp or impedance matching transformer or something - perhaps it can be tested by using voice notes and seeing how it sounds....or plugging your guitar into the Mic input of a PA amp? Dunno really.
    01-08-12 04:45 PM
    I don't know what kind of music you play but just for fun you should try the WAGERG app with your band - good for a laugh or maybe inspiration, well good for fun anyway... lol Keep tapping the rotating circle and "add sound":
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-08-12 at 04:50 PM.
    01-08-12 04:47 PM
    I've been going line out from my old Pignose amp into the earphone jack on my playbook and have been laying down tracks in Daily Grind. That's a very cool sleeper app.
    01-08-12 04:54 PM
    I've been going line out from my old Pignose amp into the earphone jack on my playbook and have been laying down tracks in Daily Grind. That's a very cool sleeper app.
    Doh!
    I forgot about that app! Ha ha!!!
    What cable are you using to get the amp into the PB jack?
    I just tried it again... excellent!
    01-08-12 05:04 PM
    I can't find Daily Grind in App World. Or is this a sideloaded Android app?
    01-08-12 05:13 PM

I can't find it anymore either. I did a search here on CB... nothing. Nothing on the web or youtube either!
    I guess louzer and I found it one day and now it's toast...
    01-08-12 05:28 PM
    The only one I found is called Playback.
    I haven't tried it though...
    I tried it and can't get it to work. It also seems to have very few options and says its saving a file but I can't find the file anywhere lol. I'll stick to recording with my pc.
    01-08-12 06:08 PM
    Bummer... I found the Daily Grind files in "documents". The files are in .pdg format whatever that is. Can't find a way to convert them.
    Rats all the way around!
    01-08-12 06:13 PM
    (Putting on my sound engineer hat)

NOTE: you should only do this if you know what you are doing. You may damage your PlayBook!

This is a quick-and-dirty way which MAY be good enough for tuning but NOT for recording:
    Make a Cable for iPhone Guitar Tuner Apps

An electric guitar has a different output level and impedance than a headset mic, which is what the PlayBook is expecting. As far as I know the input sensitivity and impedance range of the PB headset connection is undocumented, but let's assume it's similar to other mobile devices.

To do it properly you'll probably need at least an active DI-box, preferably with attenuation/pad switch to adjust for your particular pickup. You'll also need a correctly wired female XLR -> TRRS minijack cable. The XLR->minijack is a non-standard part, you'll probably have to do some soldering yourself, or get one of these:
    Comprehensive 4-pole TRRS 3.5mm Mini to MPS4RA-MJS/XLRJ-6IN B&H

As the PlayBook can't provide the required phantom power, you'll need either a battery, a standard "effects" power adapter or a phantom power supply to power the DI.

Furthermore, if the PB headset input is designed for electret mics and thus has 2.7v, you'd probably need a capacitor in-line.

As for the software, it will need to support the headset input, and it should be able to turn of the auto-gain and allow manual gain adjustment.

This is a fairly detailed explanation of signal levels and impedance:
    Crown International / Knowledgebase / How to record direct? Please explain impedances and levels.

Info about DI boxes:
    DI unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Innovatology; 01-09-12 at 08:43 AM.
    space_traveler likes this.
    01-09-12 08:27 AM
    Red Wine Gibson SG, Red Wine Gibson Les Paul Studio, a recently purchased but not received Red Wine Fender Deluxe Super Strat and a half ful of acoustics.
    01-09-12 08:30 AM
    Awesome information Innovatology!!!
    If Guitar tuner SE can read the mic input, I'm going to make or buy that cable.
    01-09-12 12:15 PM
    Like Dr. Deebs said, in order to make recording guitar/vox (and other instruments) to PB interesting, we really need some good recording/effects/amp sims etc. apps. I would like to see an app where you could not only do multi-track recording, but have effects available as well (delay, chorus, trem, phase, etc.), and some good sounding amp sims too. Would make a good musicial scratch pad at the least for those times when your away from your regular audio workstation.

Why is it that iphone/ipad users get all the good stuff? Seems to be a lot more recording/effects/guitar apps for them. I found a few interesting looking apps in the android Market that could possibly work when OS2 comes out, we'll see. Still ipad is way ahead in that area.
    Last edited by space_traveler; 01-09-12 at 01:10 PM.
    01-09-12 01:07 PM
    @ Innovatology

That's some really good info. The part about possibly damaging your PB, is essential IMO. Just like a pc, if you go in too hot into the mic input, you can damage your sound card. So something to keep in mind when plugging in any kind of effects processor or similar device into the PB. Make sure the output on any device going into the PB isn't too high!
    01-09-12 01:45 PM
    Make sure the output on any device going into the PB isn't too high!
    That is why I was thinking that that the existing iRig device might work. It works for an iPad/iPhone so unless the specifications of the input are significantly different on both platforms, we have a software issue, not a hardware issue.

Multi-track recording and effects boxes would be nice. A tuner which uses it it would be a great start
    01-09-12 02:45 PM
    I have emailed both the developers of Instrument tuner and Guitar tuner SE.
    They are both looking into it. Don't get your hopes up, but they both replied quickly.
    We shall see...
    01-09-12 03:28 PM
    That is why I was thinking that that the existing iRig device might work. It works for an iPad/iPhone so unless the specifications of the input are significantly different on both platforms, we have a software issue, not a hardware issue.

Multi-track recording and effects boxes would be nice. A tuner which uses it it would be a great start
    It probably would work if its the same jack type - 3.5 mm /4 conductor. Yeah, then it comes down to only the software, which seems to be sadly lacking on the PB.
    01-09-12 03:41 PM
    While the plug may fit, and the PlayBook may be able to detect a frequency sufficient for tuning, you won't be able to record with any decent quality from an electric guitar. You'll need to convert not only the plug but also the signal levels and impedance with some - relatively simple - electronic components or using off-the-shelf products. That's what iRig does.

It also "splits" the input and output signals, so the guitar sound is sampled from the input, processed, then sent to the output.

iRig schematics

In theory the iRig hardware could work with a PlayBook, but I'm unsure whether the PB supplies electret power or whether the iRig relies on that. And of course you'll need software.
    Last edited by Innovatology; 01-09-12 at 05:56 PM.
    01-09-12 05:54 PM
    You also have to consider that the essential feedback and room acoustics will be absent on your recording if you go direct.

For tuning yes (with Innovatologys suggestions) for recording, no - it will sound extremely flat.
    braindigger likes this.
    01-09-12 05:59 PM
    This cable looks more like the deal for guitar tuning...
    iPhone 1/4 inch microphone or guitar and 1/4 inch headphone adapter - 3.5mm 4 conductor TRRS Male to 1/4in TRS Headphone Jack and 1/4in Microphone Jack
    BTW... I tried the Instrument tuner with the bb headphones again. It works!
    I had to turn the sensitivity down almost all the way. It picks up my voice no problem.
    Innovatology likes this.
    01-09-12 11:12 PM
    You also have to consider that the essential feedback and room acoustics will be absent on your recording if you go direct.
    That's where a good reverb effect would come in handy ;-)
    01-10-12 07:13 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD