This unit just begs to be an in-car nav unit. Any rumors of nav programs out there?

I guess one can use google maps through the bridge browser but that isn't turn-by-turn.
    07-12-11 11:21 PM
    Seriously..with a built in gps, gorgeous 7 inch display, good audio..this unit is begging for a quality offline GPS app with voice directions and updateable map pack.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-12-11 11:58 PM
    agreed.

i dont want google blah blah maps...

i want a proper GPS navigation system. i will pay to buy the maps.i want the thing to work offline like any normal GPS navigation system.

when it comes, i will go for it. we just need a bit of patience. my prediction something like this will not appear until early next summer.
    07-13-11 02:53 AM
    they can't wait till early next summer, in tech that's 10 years away, when current products will be considered outdated. It has to come this year.
    07-13-11 02:54 AM
    The android player could be a solution.
    There is a number of good navigation apps for android.
    07-13-11 03:02 AM
    the question is, will all their apps be compatible with the PB?

if so, you are right then. but eventually i would like to see apps built for PB platform instead of android apps. you dont know what limitations they will enforce on the PB if they are incorporated. im not a techie at all so we will have to wait and see. things like slowing down the PB processor..things like not being able to simultaneously use other tasks...those are the worrying things from applying android apps..
    07-13-11 03:13 AM
    Bought a new GPS nav app today called, GPS Maps for Google Maps and I can tell it's a big fail, lagy, no functions and Slow GPS.
    07-13-11 03:18 AM
    its not really a navigation app...

a google map app...arggghhhh...

will not spend a dime on those things...proper navigation apps or their maps will not be priced at $0.99...
    07-13-11 03:24 AM
    Don't think that would solve it, Don't think Android apps will have a root access to RIM PB hardware, even If it does, commands might be different.

Who knows, maybe RIM coded the Android Player to translate actions on PB, but according to my knowledge that even if they did, not all apps will work and there might be some minor bugs with some.
    07-13-11 03:31 AM
    the question is, will all their apps be compatible with the PB?

if so, you are right then. but eventually i would like to see apps built for PB platform instead of android apps. you dont know what limitations they will enforce on the PB if they are incorporated. im not a techie at all so we will have to wait and see. things like slowing down the PB processor..things like not being able to simultaneously use other tasks...those are the worrying things from applying android apps..
    Valid points, but i think the android player could trigger some devs to make proper ports of their apps to Playbook.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-13-11 03:36 AM
    its not really a navigation app...

a google map app...arggghhhh...

will not spend a dime on those things...proper navigation apps or their maps will not be priced at $0.99...
    Nope, It must NOT cost over a 1$ for a proper GPS navigation, not because Apple has developers in hanger selling stuff for 100$ means that would apply on RIM, I am sure RIM is monitoring the prices well and won't accept anything over 25$ (my hopes)
    07-13-11 03:39 AM

Nope, It must NOT cost over a 1$ for a proper GPS navigation, not because Apple has developers in hanger selling stuff for 100$ means that would apply on RIM, I am sure RIM is monitoring the prices well and won't accept anything over 25$ (my hopes)
    Hopefully not everyone is a [moderator edit] like you. How do you expect developers to make quality apps and spend their time when they don't get a suitable return? I would pay good money for an app that actually works well. Secondly, I've spoken to developer of a GPS program for the blackberry and he explained that the license for each user to get access to the system is high and that is the reason for the higher cost.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-11 04:37 AM
    Firstly, Learn how to respect others before you post | #Reported
    Secondly, It was an opinion, you can be against but be polite when showing your points[/COLOR][/B]
    07-13-11 04:41 AM
    Hopefully not everyone is a [moderator edit] like you. How do you expect developers to make quality apps and spend their time when they don't get a suitable return? I would pay good money for an app that actually works well. Secondly, I've spoken to developer of a GPS program for the blackberry and he explained that the license for each user to get access to the system is high and that is the reason for the higher cost.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Your insulting language has been removed. Enough said about that... this time

Remember the correct price for any commodity is the one which provides maximum revenue while just selling the available stock. For software the stock is theoretically endless but the principle still applies.

For a GPS nav program the licensing cost will be the surce of maps. This is completely outside the control of the programmer if it comes from one of the respected third party map suppliers who have invested time and experience to create a quality product.
    07-13-11 05:04 AM
    guys...we are only talking about apps here..no need for heated stuff...

yes..a proper nav. system will cost a good bit of money but thats what i personally want...you want to be able to use it without you being in wifi area..

the other problem is providing maps for all areas...maps will no doubt be readily available for NA/Europe area..but it may take longer for other parts of the world..

our telecom operator has a nav system on BB sets and i hope they introduce something similar for the PB..

exzibit,

did your dev. friend tell you if anything is in pipeline for the PB?
    07-13-11 05:04 AM
    Your insulting language has been removed. Enough said about that... this time

Remember the correct price for any commodity is the one which provides maximum revenue while just selling the available stock. For software the stock is theoretically endless but the principle still applies.

For a GPS nav program the licensing cost will be the surce of maps. This is completely outside the control of the programmer if it comes from one of the respected third party map suppliers who have invested time and experience to create a quality product.
    branta,

true. but perhaps nav app developers have agreements with the 3rt party license providers to get charged based on actual sales to end users. the risk is the app developers may end up paying lots of money for the license but end up not selling their product, so they aim for something like a consignment deal.
    07-13-11 05:09 AM
    For instance, Garmin for BlackBerry phones is $99.
    07-13-11 05:29 AM
    For instance, Garmin for BlackBerry phones is $99.
    But Garmin is a super quality app lol.

#TalkingAboutMyself All I need is a GPS app, shows maps from Google, Get Directions (as Google Maps on BB)
    07-13-11 06:21 AM
    It shouldn't be that hard to port the existing carrier nav apps (Telenav/Sprint, VZ navigation etc) to the playbook. After all, the only thing we really need is the bigger screen. I can live with the voice input or inputting the info on the phone. I just want the bigger screen for the nav app that we're already paying for.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-13-11 11:03 PM
    I would add that if a developer determines that a market is too small to sell a reasonable quantity of units, they will not enter that market at all.

In this case the stock is actually zero (not endless) because the big players can't justify the cost of porting their products to PB in the first place.

The situation will change only when the PB platform stabilizes and the user base grows to the critical mass required to earn a profit.
    07-14-11 09:36 AM
    there are free maps available. such as openstreetmaps.
    So i really dont think its the cost.
    but i feel the reason we dont have a SINGLE navigation app is the lack of NDK. It would be hard, if not impossible to create a FULL featured navigation app with Flash(AIR)/webworks.
    07-14-11 10:21 AM
    Madoon, I have to disagree. I can think of nothing that the NDK will provide that would let someone build a better mapping app than could be done with AIR.

What do you need beyond the ability to download data, display tiles, get GPS readings, and possibly submit requests to some web service (for example to retrieve driving directions)?

All those things can be done perfectly well with AIR. I agree it's possible the NDK will "enable" better mapping apps simply if the developers capable of doing such apps aren't interested in using AIR. I disagree that technically there's any reason a good AIR dev couldn't do the same app...
    07-14-11 11:22 AM
    hope your right peter, the maps are available and if your right its technically possible.
    then someone must be developing or thinking about developing the apps.

to be clear we are talking about an offline app that requires no internet connection to get maps or find routes. so no web servers are required
    07-14-11 11:35 AM
    Navigon makes GPS software that you download the entire map onto the device and don't need a data plan to use. This is currently for apple/android/windows products only. Maybe they'll make one for BB/PB?

NAVIGON MobileNavigator | NAVIGON. And the world is yours

07-14-11 11:38 AM
    Navigon makes GPS software that you download the entire map onto the device and don't need a data plan to use. This is currently for apple/android/windows products only. Maybe they'll make one for BB/PB?

Thats exactly what I'm looking for! Hopefully they'll see a market and port it to PB.
    07-14-11 12:29 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD