I was fooling around with a second playbook which was recently raised from the dead. I noticed that the browsing experience is much faster on this device even though it is on the same wifi network as my first one. The second playbook has seldom been used but is does have about the same amount of movies and files stored on it. I tried several websites that neither playbook has been to after clearing out cookies and everything on both. My more heavily used playbook was slower for every Page and always had more checkerboarding. Both on same OS. So it appears the speed has been decreased from more heavy use? So what can I do to restore my browsing or any other function to as it used to be without wiping the device? Is there a memory cleaning or defrag of some kind that I am missing here?
    10-24-12 11:19 PM
    The faster PB may have java and/or flash turned off. If it does, that would explain a lot.
    willcookson likes this.
    10-24-12 11:53 PM
    The faster PB may have java and/or flash turned off. If it does, that would explain a lot.
    Its not that. Images,flash,java all on for both.
    10-25-12 12:03 AM
    From your browser screen pull down from the top and select the settings icon. Select Settings & Security. Be sure both PBs are set the same. From here you can also erase the history, cookies, etc., or erase all. I am interested to know how this turns out so please post the solution if you find one. Thanks.
    10-25-12 05:20 AM
    This is very interesting to me, I have a 16gb and a 64gb and have never tested them against each other.

Some questions about your Playbooks
    Is the 16gb faster or the 32gb?
    What OS version are you running on both?
    Were they both clean installations or upgraded to the OS that you are currently on?
    Do you have the exactly the same apps and games loaded on both?
    What is the battery health of each unit, and were they both @ 100% charge?
    What is the wifi signal levels and or speed of each Playbooks wifi connection?
    Can you also tell us the first 8 digits of the serial numbers so we can guess manufacture dates.

With one having more use than the other I think the only true way to tell if one is faster than the other is to freshly format both Playbooks, fully charge both units and then test.

I think with you posting this I may have a ton of time and work in store for me as I will most likely will be re-formating both my Playbooks to do a test of my own.

10-25-12 09:44 AM
    Yeah, from what I've noticed, the less available memory, the slower it gets. I keep mine abote 5GB at al time for it gets reeeally crancky when it goes below that.

Clean caches help too. The amount of app srunning at a time doesn't seem to have any impact on it, but writing to the "hard drive" does. So if an app is downloading large files, you may feel a but of system tax.

Besides that, rebooting and cleaning caches every now and then.
    10-25-12 09:55 AM
    I thought QNX never required reboots..
    10-25-12 10:35 AM
    I don't see a difference...

I have two 16gs and one is loaded and the other is not. On the full one pages load just as fast as on the empty one.

Also...

I'm running 2.1 official on both.
    10-25-12 11:08 AM
    I have a 64 gig with 42 gig available and a 16 gig with 8.2 gig available. They both run close to the same speed.
    10-25-12 12:20 PM
    This is very interesting to me, I have a 16gb and a 64gb and have never tested them against each other.

Some questions about your Playbooks
    Is the 16gb faster or the 32gb?
    What OS version are you running on both?
    Were they both clean installations or upgraded to the OS that you are currently on?
    Do you have the exactly the same apps and games loaded on both?
    What is the battery health of each unit, and were they both @ 100% charge?
    What is the wifi signal levels and or speed of each Playbooks wifi connection?
    Can you also tell us the first 8 digits of the serial numbers so we can guess manufacture dates.

With one having more use than the other I think the only true way to tell if one is faster than the other is to freshly format both Playbooks, fully charge both units and then test.

I think with you posting this I may have a ton of time and work in store for me as I will most likely will be re-formating both my Playbooks to do a test of my own.

Just to clarify for everyone, its really only the browsing speed i have proven has a difference. Everything else is the same on both.

1. The 16 gb one is faster then the 32gb one
    2. Both are running 1032
    3. Both came with os 1. I just installed 2.1 on the 16 two days ago. It did already have the 2 update though
    4. I have pretty much the same apps on both. Just like three apps each
    5. I dont have battery guru so im not sure of the health but both were at 90%+ charge
    6. Both had the same three bars of wifi on the same network

Serial numbers:
    the 16 gb is an old school one: 1343-1055
    32: 1343-3850

So the browsing speed on the 32 is not horrible. I have indeed like many had more checkerboarding with 2.1 though. It just baffles me why one would be faster.
    10-25-12 12:22 PM
    Just curious....have you tried comparing the two PBs while using another browser? I wonder if it is only noticeable with the native browser.
    Another question....have you compared file transfer rates? Maybe it's not the browser, maybe it's something to do with the wifi radio/receiver.
    10-25-12 03:28 PM
    Thanks for this post. I disabled flash/java and it runs sooooooo much faster. I was getting a bit jittery and was even toying with getting a different tablet because page loading was so slow (I know, I know - hangs head in shame). But this has given it a new lease of life for me. If I went to an ipad I couldn't have flash anyway and so at least I have the option to toggle it for a site
    10-26-12 01:16 AM
    Just curious....have you tried comparing the two PBs while using another browser? I wonder if it is only noticeable with the native browser.
    Another question....have you compared file transfer rates? Maybe it's not the browser, maybe it's something to do with the wifi radio/receiver.
    I only have the native browser. Im not a fan off apps. I have heard the simple browser and others are faster but i just like simplicity. Its not that even the slower one is "slow". Its just that one is slower then the other. I dont know where to compare file transfer rates. Would an html5 test objectively show the difference? If so where do i do those nowadays
    10-26-12 01:21 AM
    Thanks for this post. I disabled flash/java and it runs sooooooo much faster. I was getting a bit jittery and was even toying with getting a different tablet because page loading was so slow (I know, I know - hangs head in shame). But this has given it a new lease of life for me. If I went to an ipad I couldn't have flash anyway and so at least I have the option to toggle it for a site
    Glad the post helped you
    10-26-12 01:22 AM
    I only have the native browser. Im not a fan off apps. I have heard the simple browser and others are faster but i just like simplicity. Its not that even the slower one is "slow". Its just that one is slower then the other. I dont know where to compare file transfer rates. Would an html5 test objectively show the difference? If so where do i do those nowadays
    I use an app called Dukto for file transfers between my PBs and computers. With it you can send things like documents, mp3s, pictures, videos etc. So my question was based on using something similar, and comparing transfer times of the same file.

I can't answer your html5 question, without just guessing.
    10-26-12 04:04 AM