I was wondering if there are any concerns with purchasing a new PlayBook (got the 64GB on clearance from Office Depot) which was manufactured on May 26, 2011. It powered up enough to allow me to start the setup process, but then had to charge a while until it reached 20% before it would load the OS updates. So far everything is looking good, and the battery seems to be holding a charge similar to my 16GB.

I know many have had problems once their battery drained all the way down with not being able to power back up without going through all sorts of hoops. If mine came up properly anwaiteded for the charge, should this be an indication that the battery will be okay?
    11-01-12 11:00 PM
    should not be a problem. I got two previously used units a year ago.. 1 of them I gave to my child and she played videos all day til the battery drained, I never did go to hoops to get it running again. I just plugged it with the charger and it started up normally after that.
    11-01-12 11:45 PM
    Mine had died on me A LOT when I forst got it. Lack of use and time. Now with a few good everyday apps like blaq and others I am always on it. The 5-10 times the device was stone cold dead didn't seem to hurt it.
    11-02-12 12:02 AM
    good investment cuz rim will eventually have a bbplaybook os10
    11-02-12 12:08 AM
    My 32 gb is a June 2011 manufacture.. It hasn't given me a problem (except the dead camera after update which is unrelated..)
    Devices tend to get discharged after long time on the shelf.. So it can come pretty battery drained out of box.. Just recharge and use..
    11-02-12 12:09 AM
    Should not be any concern and work perfectly. Many here, including myself, purchased PlayBook at or near launch date with no issues. That is until RIM upgrades killed my camera and RIM hasn't publicly accepted responsibility.
    11-02-12 04:35 AM
    You should be fine. No issues here as well with charging.
    11-02-12 09:05 AM
    Only thing I would be concerned about is the power buttion. I bought an original Playbook in April 2011.... the only issue I had was the power button was recessed so much I needed a pen to reboot the unit. Software update allowed me to do soft reboot so solved part of the issue. Button did give out in about 6 months but RIM replaced the unit with one with a usuable power button. Other than that it is excellent. I have three... my sixteen gig was new but 9 months old and has worked flawlessly..... so I certainly would have no problem recommending one... Not to say you cannot get a lemon... it does happen....
    11-02-12 09:21 AM
    My main concern was having a unit that had not received a charge for such a long time. I read about problems where people had to stack charge a depleted unit, or never got the device to respond. Since my unit powered up enough to get through setup and then waited for 20% charge to update the OS, I'm hoping to not have any issues. There were some units in my area manufactured in Jan 2012, but all those had bulges on the back case which bugged me too much.
    11-02-12 09:38 AM
    Should not be any concern and work perfectly. Many here, including myself, purchased PlayBook at or near launch date with no issues. That is until RIM upgrades killed my camera and RIM hasn't publicly accepted responsibility.
    Though they seem to be fixing it for people happily. Someone said they did it though it was out of warranty.. I am still to get it to the service centre.. Hopefully tomorrow..
    11-02-12 09:50 AM