Great device,love it, Found it very easy to setup and get going, Just wondering ,does PB need an Anti virus program installed, just wondering as I have another open space with Kaspersky if required
    03-15-12 07:26 PM
    I've never heard of anyone owning a BB device ever getting a virus.
    barrywilson likes this.
    03-15-12 07:30 PM
    No need, Playbook is really secure, not like that 1000 devices OS
    barrywilson likes this.
    03-15-12 07:30 PM
    Thanks,will put that idea to bed
    03-15-12 07:56 PM
    Just to note only a couple of things that make the base OS already better than most other OSes plus anti-virus software:

1. Each app is completely protected from any other app. No app can read or modify another app's data or code. The only data that all apps can modify is the "shared" data space where documents are kept, and since apps don't execute code from there they can't get "infected" through that means.

2. An app can't even modify its own code... Even if some exploit (like say the recently reported WebKit flaw which actually does affect even the PlayBook) were to allow someone to remotely affect a PlayBook, the most it could do is access or modify that shared data. The app (browser, or whatever) would itself still be immune to infection.
    barrywilson and Techno-Emigre like this.
    03-15-12 08:02 PM
    Are sideloaded apps vulnerable to viruses? I know that both Google/Android and Amazon/Android have had these issues. Will apps sideloaded from these markets compromise the security of the PlayBook?
    03-16-12 12:20 AM
    Are sideloaded apps vulnerable to viruses? I know that both Google/Android and Amazon/Android have had these issues. Will apps sideloaded from these markets compromise the security of the PlayBook?
    The first time an app starts up you'll get a permission dialog if it wants to do anything that could harm your system. For example when you first install a file manager you'll be asked to grant it access to your documents.

If an app doesn't ask for any permission you're in the clear. The app has no ability to access any of your data, your location, etc. Theoretically there could be security holes, but that would have to be targeted specifically by a native PB app and not an Android one.

If an app does ask for permission be mindful of what you give it. Once it has access to your documents it can do whatever with them. It could delete them, email them to your mother, etc. This is true for any app, PlayBook native or Android.
    barrywilson and Techno-Emigre like this.
    03-16-12 12:09 PM
    Thanks for the thread. I use my playbook instead of desktop pc. If I understand correctly antivirus protection is not needed due to bbpb secure system? Your thoughts?
    12-08-12 01:20 PM
    correct. no viruses
    12-08-12 01:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD