just got my new pb 32gb. last in store best buy naples. love it. do i need anti virus app? and if so whats the best for pb. use eset on all other pc/laptops.
    12-03-11 12:33 PM
    One of the advantages of having a low profile device like this and a relatively smaller user base is it is not as "fun" of a target for viruses and the like, plus QNX and RIM are known for security, and take it seriously because of the govt and business base that they have. Not worried about it personally. Hackers will more likely go after the larger installed user bases - such as android.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-03-11 12:48 PM
    QNX if it is true to its *nix heritage and the tablet version still utilizes the concept of privilege escalation, that is separation of user and "root" account permissions, and applications are restricted to their own portion of memory, then the BlackBerry PlayBook should not require any anti-virus software. But you should still practice "safe computing" by only downloading and installing applications from trusted sources. Sadly, these days BlackBerry App World is not the perfect sanctuary from "malware" given some of the crap applications approved for inclusion in BlackBerry App World.
    12-03-11 12:53 PM
    Never heard of a virus hitting a playbook before. Anti-Virus software is unnecessary. I guess if you have an infected computer and store files on your playbook from home to bring to work, it would be possible to transfer a windows virus from your home pc to your work pc. But as for actually infecting your playbook, that's not going to happen.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-03-11 12:54 PM
    thanks for the responses. I'll be careful downloading and transferring files.
    12-03-11 02:20 PM
    so... meaning we dont need to download anti virus for our PB at all??..
    01-18-12 02:03 AM
    QNX if it is true to its *nix heritage and the tablet version still utilizes the concept of privilege escalation, that is separation of user and "root" account permissions, and applications are restricted to their own portion of memory, then the BlackBerry PlayBook should not require any anti-virus software. But you should still practice "safe computing" by only downloading and installing applications from trusted sources. Sadly, these days BlackBerry App World is not the perfect sanctuary from "malware" given some of the crap applications approved for inclusion in BlackBerry App World.
    Interesting. What about anti-virus for other *nix based systems (e.g. OSX, Android, etc.)? Thanks.
    01-18-12 02:17 AM
    Maybe we don't need a realtime AV on the Playbook, but we still do need a firewall that blocks outgoing apps from calling home and possibly sending out data behind our backs and without our permission.

That being said, I do scan my Playbook from time to time when plugged in to my pc with a few anti-malware apps, just be safe.
    01-18-12 05:05 AM
    I use my pb in public wifis spots to conduct online banking etc. Do I need a firewall tp prevent hacking of my pb?
    02-20-12 01:23 PM
    I use my pb in public wifis spots to conduct online banking etc. Do I need a firewall tp prevent hacking of my pb?
    Is the connection between your tablet and bank via a secure protcocol, usually HTTPS in the web browser? If so, you are safe unless someone looks over your shoulder as you type your log-in credentials.
    02-20-12 01:29 PM
    I was kindly given a free android anti-virus app when I bought my playbook, even after telling the salesperson it runs QNX. It still rests on the table as unwrapped as when I got it. :-)
    02-20-12 01:31 PM
    subscribed...
    02-20-12 01:55 PM
    One of the advantages of having a low profile device like this and a relatively smaller user base is it is not as "fun" of a target for viruses and the like, plus QNX and RIM are known for security, and take it seriously because of the govt and business base that they have. Not worried about it personally. Hackers will more likely go after the larger installed user bases - such as android.
    See: Macs.

But seriously there isn't a need now but it is something I see becoming increasingly important in the future if tablets really take off. Having said that iOS devices would be the primary target due to their market share although Android may fall first due to its 'openness'. This is probably years down the road although I'm sure you'll have outliers before then.
    02-20-12 02:02 PM
    I do scan my Playbook from time to time when plugged in to my pc with a few anti-malware apps, just be safe.
    How can I do that? I'm running Win XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3 and Norton Security Suite version 5.2.0.13. Thanks in advance!
    02-20-12 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD