Report: Apple

If this is true, please tell me what reasons do people have to buy the Playbook? At the same price range, it will be a slaughter. Apple won't say, "have patience", "wait, awesome things are coming, "wait for the big apps", "look you can remotely control the mini with your iphone". The PB needs apps and it needs it now to build a larger customer base. Without the apps, what incentive does the PB have?
    03-01-12 01:19 PM
    the thing that absolutely bothers me most about these Ipad vs playbook comparisons is the short memory of everyone involved.

I dont know about anyone else. But I remember using iOS 1 on my first ipod Touch. I remember my friends first iphones version 1.

It was worse off then playbook was. There was no app store. There were no additional apps, it was missing very key important things, and it took months / year before the next iOS revision came out to address them.

Very VERY similar to the Playbook.

iOS and the OS on ipads and iphones and ipods are now on version 5. it's been out since 2007, a 5 year old OS that had had 4 years of App's developed for it, and platform support.

anyone who thinks that any new device and OS is going to jump out the gate and be where iOS is today on initial sales is deluding themselves.

The playbook is far from perfect. But i would be extremely happy if the OS and platform is around in 5 years to make the same comparisons, once it's matured
    03-01-12 01:25 PM

If this is true, please tell me what reasons do people have to buy the Playbook? At the same price range, it will be a slaughter. Apple won't say, "have patience", "wait, awesome things are coming, "wait for the big apps", "look you can remotely control the mini with your iphone". The PB needs apps and it needs it now to build a larger customer base. Without the apps, what incentive does the PB have?
    What incentive does it have now?
    03-01-12 01:26 PM
    the thing that absolutely bothers me most about these Ipad vs playbook comparisons is the short memory of everyone involved.

I dont know about anyone else. But I remember using iOS 1 on my first ipod Touch. I remember my friends first iphones version 1.

It was worse off then playbook was. There was no app store. There were no additional apps, it was missing very key important things, and it took months / year before the next iOS revision came out to address them.

iOS and the OS on ipads and iphones and ipods are now on version 5. it's been out since 2007, a 5 year old OS that had had 4 years of App's developed for it, and platform support.

anyone who thinks that any new device and OS is going to jump out the gate and be where iOS is today on initial sales is deluding themselves.

The playbook is far from perfect. But i would be extremely happy if the OS and platform is around in 5 years to make the same comparisons, once it's matured
    The problem is that consumers mostly don't care that the PB OS is actually ahead of where iOS was when it was released by Apple. They only care about how both devices function now.

If Apple releases a smaller iPad at the same price point that the PB is now then yes, I think the PB is done. However, this does not account for the fact that RIM could release an update, improve the app selection and upgrade the hardware before Apple get a chance to release that small iPad.
    03-01-12 01:29 PM
    right i don't have a reason to buy a Playbook, oh wait, i already have one, so, who cares?
    LOL @ a FoxNews commentary on Apple.

That's just optimal reality-distortion synchronicity.
    I'd be lmao @all the Apple trolls and steve... Who the heck wants a smaller screen on a tablet the 10 inches, surely that is one the main points used in iPad superiority by soo many bloggers. I'd really just have to lmao, especially with the gestures rumors too.
    bbblair likes this.
    03-01-12 01:32 PM
    I love my Playbook. I'm the last one in my firm that still believe in BB . I'm the BES admin in our firm and I handle all the BES in our US, European, Asian and South America offices and if Apple come out with a smaller version of Ipad then I'm jumping ship!! Currently I'm using Fusion to administer my Playbook and it still not ready for primetime. We are currently in the process of building our MobileIron infrastructure to handle all our iOS and Droid devices and we even have F5 to handle the connection for all our mobile devices. It's just most enterprise application out there has apps for iOS and not for BB

Since the new BB10 (QNX) is now leveraging ActiveSync then there is nothing really BB can do that other mobile device cant do...
    03-01-12 01:33 PM

Playbook has the potential to be the best tablet. Agreed. But how can they afford developing it when future potential playbook buyers shift to the iPad mini as it offers more 'at present' (when it releases). iPad mini might flop as well but if RIM doesn't recognize it as a threat and don't do / release something significant before that, they might regret later.
    03-01-12 01:35 PM
    I own two PlayBooks. I see much more upside/utility to the "in process" PlayBook OS than I do with Lpolished" version 5 of the Apple OS. I'm not an Apple hater, I think that Apple makes quality products... I just don't get why people drool over Apple stuff.
    03-01-12 01:35 PM
    The problem is that consumers mostly don't care that the PB OS is actually ahead of where iOS was when it was released by Apple. They only care about how both devices function now..
    ++111
    who cares if iOS has years of a head start!!!.. the buttom line is that BB was late and from here on, they'll just going to play catch up!!! As I said, I'm a BES admin and it hurt me to say this things!!!!
    03-01-12 01:36 PM

I don't know how the features of iOS 1 has anything to do with the marketplace now.

Are you saying wait until BB10 is 5 years old before you compare it to iOS? In that case, a 5 year old BB10 will be competing with a 10 year old iOS.

All that matters is what is available now to consumers, not the past, not the future.

Wait your comparing the original iPod touch to the Playbook? Are you implying its okay for the PB to be released in today's market in beta form because its the first integration? Tell me, does he kindle fire seem to have shared this same progression? Its okay The PB to rake 5 years to mature? Is this what your saying?

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahhahahahahahahhah ahhahahha sniff*

are you serious?

A 'mini-pad'?

Will they be attractively packaged in the feminine hygiene aisle?
    Are they bandwidth -reduced for 'lite days' and the regular 'pad for heavy days?

who the he[[ comes up with this? Oh right, Digitimes -> BGR -> Fox News.

lololololololol... oh, my.
    Last edited by vorpalz; 03-01-12 at 01:46 PM. Reason: couldn't stop laughing...
    At that price it would crush 10" iPad sales. If this does come out look for scaled down specs like the kindle fire and other limitatios. Apple is not stupid enough to canabalize their money making 10" sales, so there has to be a difference other than screen size, or the prices have to be closer together.

Also, if this comes out and RIM has BB10 phones out and 2 or 3 more major apps then it competes with he pad easily. You have to allow for Playbook improvement between now and this mini ipad product launch. However, If it comes out next week at this price RIM is in trouble.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    03-01-12 01:37 PM
    It's still going to be ~$150-199 versus $250-299 price range. So people are still going to buy the fire and PB... The rest probably already have an ipad anyways.
    03-01-12 01:37 PM

Sprawl - you bring up many good points. The one problem in comparing these two though, from a peer development standpoint, is Apple's clear first-mover advantage.

Their OS does suck compared to the Playbook, but honestly, that doesn't matter right now. They have a majority of the market share, and have convinced app developers that's the way it will remain. I like it to VHS and that other option way back in the day - the other option was clearly better from a technical perspective. But VHS still won out and dominated the market.

My bigger problem with the Playbook is the apparent lack of relationship with developers. They have somehow pissed people off to the point where people are intentionally dismissing Blackberry as a viable platform to expend resources. Skype, Netflix, etc. I don't get it. They apparently have a real distain for RIM - I don't know why.
    03-01-12 01:40 PM

In the late 80s Im fairly certain I had a comp with like 4 MB of RAM.
    If I custom made a desktop for you today, somehow managed to get 4MB of RAM in it, and asked you to pay the equivalent price of a top of the line current computer, and once you picked your jaw off the floor I told you that in just over 20 years Id upgrade it for you so that it then does what other computers do today, what would you do?
    Even if you're late to the party, you have to compete with what other people are currently offering, its just stupidity to expect leeway because you've been doing it for less time than someone else was.
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-01-12 01:40 PM
    I don't really think people are buying Playbook's because the ipad is too big. It's not exactly the same target audience.

The "demise", if it comes to it, will be a slow in the progress of the Playbook.
    Majestic Lion and 00stryder like this.
    03-01-12 01:42 PM
    Sprawl - you bring up many good points. The one problem in comparing these two though, from a peer development standpoint, is Apple's clear first-mover advantage.

Their OS does suck compared to the Playbook, but honestly, that doesn't matter right now. They have a majority of the market share, and have convinced app developers that's the way it will remain. I like it to VHS and that other option way back in the day - the other option was clearly better from a technical perspective. But VHS still won out and dominated the market.

My bigger problem with the Playbook is the apparent lack of relationship with developers. They have somehow pissed people off to the point where people are intentionally dismissing Blackberry as a viable platform to expend resources. Skype, Netflix, etc. I don't get it. They apparently have a real distain for RIM - I don't know why.
    They're upset because when Microsoft/Google/Apple wants a developer they go out and buy or license what they need, sit down, say we need this NOW, and get things done.
    When RIM wants a developer or program onboard they send Alec Saunders out in a mankini to demo TATs latest extremely pretty concepts that will become reality in maybe 40 years and then expect the developer to throw themselves at RIM/Alec for a free PlayBook.
    One approach seems to be working, the other isn't.
    03-01-12 01:44 PM
    It's still going to be ~$150-199 versus $250-299 price range. So people are still going to buy the fire and PB... The rest probably already have an ipad anyways.
    I don't know / can't understand KFire buyers but quite a few got the playbook because of the sale. If you know you can get the hyped iPad putting a hundred dollars more, at least 35-40% would consider that and it is a huge number. I can see it happening in my country where iPad is almost synonymous with a tablet. I've been asked a few times what kind of iPad my playbook is.

Playbook might still survive because of its uniqueness. Mid-range androids will be badly hurt
    03-01-12 01:45 PM
    As an iPod user & MAC owner along with several other PC's... If a smaller iPad does come out, it would basically have to replace the iPod touch because of the price point. The Other option is for Apple to kill of the Shuffle & lower the price of the Touch & just have the iPod, iPod Touch & then a Mini-iPadm which they are trying to compare with the Kindle Fire & Nook. I don't think RIM is even seen as competition since the APP Store & App World aren't even remotely comparable.. Amazon gives away a free app everyday. Android has TONS of apps. What RIM has is an incredibly amazing piece of Hardware that just needs a REALLY AGGRESSIVE marketing campaign that doesn't try to compare it to the iPad & gives it it's OWN Identity!!!

I love my PlayBook!!! I'm happy with it & YES, I did "sideload" several apps on it & have no problems with it. I want a FREE version of Angry Birds because I already paid for it once on iOS... is that too much to ask?

I'm done!! Have a great day! STOP the comparisons!!! Love your PlayBook & remember that there is a market for every tablet out there.
    03-01-12 01:56 PM

If this is true, please tell me what reasons do people have to buy the Playbook?
    Because believe it or not....and you may want to sit down for this....but there are some people that actually....gasp....shock.....oh the horrors......dont like nor want an Apple product!
    03-01-12 01:57 PM
    When RIM wants a developer or program onboard they send Alec Saunders out in a mankini to demo TATs latest extremely pretty concepts that will become reality in maybe 40 years and then expect the developer to throw themselves at RIM/Alec for a free PlayBook.
    One approach seems to be working, the other isn't.
    LOL. I would think the Mankini approach wouldn't work...for anything.
    03-01-12 01:59 PM
    7inch tabs are doa. Quoting apple.
    00stryder likes this.
    03-01-12 02:01 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD