hey, just thought i share this great experience I had with my playbook and how useful the bridge application was to me. This morning i went to breakfast with my father in law and locked my playbook in the glovebox compartment of my car. We finished breakfast and I headed to work as usual. Arriving at work I removed the playbook and when I tried to close the door of the glovebox it was stuck. It felt as if something had fallen behind it and it was preventing the door from going up. I fiddled with it for a few minutes and tried to figure out what was blocking it but I wasnt very successful. I felt that if i could just figure out how to remove the door of the compartment all together i would be able to see behind it and therefore figure out what was blocking it. I'm not very handy at all and my first thought was to look it up online. At that point it hit me, "my playbook is with me and even tho there is no wifi i have bridge available to me!" I quickly launched the bridge browser, pulled up you tube, and learned how to remove the door. It was incredibly easy as it didnt require any tools and at the end what had happened is the door the holds the cabin air filter had snapped off and fallen behind the glove compartment preventing it from closing. I must have closed it too hard when i put my playbook in there this morning and caused to to snap off. So there you have it, you never know when your playbook might come in handy and I couldnt be more happy RIM gave us bridge for free.
    12-08-11 10:47 AM
    ...and because of closing the compartment too violently, you almost broke your PB...

PB Power!
    12-08-11 11:02 AM
    There are many times my BB phone is charging next to my bed and I'll be using my playbook in the kitchen (on another floor) and my bridge connection still works.
    gladiatorofyale likes this.
    12-08-11 11:08 AM
    +1 on this post. We need to keep the positive posts going!!
    DavidRupa likes this.
    12-08-11 11:15 AM
    The bridge without a doubt enhances the PlayBook capabilities tremendously. One of the main reasons i purchased the PlayBook.
    12-08-11 11:31 AM
    ...and because of closing the compartment too violently, you almost broke your PB...

PB Power!
    True, good thing I got the good old otterbox to protect it.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-08-11 01:51 PM
    Hey REDK, Think of the $$ you saved by not going to a shop!! Check out this thread:

How has PB Saved You Time and Money

El Cid and jafobabe like this.
    12-08-11 02:44 PM
    There are many times my BB phone is charging next to my bed and I'll be using my playbook in the kitchen (on another floor) and my bridge connection still works.
    I estimate the BT range of my 9650 is ~100ft.
    12-08-11 04:12 PM
    Hey REDK, Think of the $$ you saved by not going to a shop!! Check out this thread:

How has PB Saved You Time and Money

no kidding, its saving me money right now as I type this.
    12-08-11 05:03 PM
    The bridge without a doubt enhances the PlayBook capabilities tremendously. One of the main reasons i purchased the PlayBook.
    Funny, its the reason I purchased my BB Phone.
    00stryder and axllebeer like this.
    12-08-11 07:52 PM
    Even in an older building, built about 1926 with plaster and lath, the Bluetooth holds up well enough for the BB to be in the bedroom and the PlayBook to be with me in a nearby room with me when nature calls... Or I left the Playbook in the bedroom or computer room and I go outside to the street with the BB in my pocket and I still see the Bridge indicator.

Another time I though I lost my PlayBook but knew it had to be nearby because I saw the Bridge indicator on the BB. I found it under papers on our dining room table.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-08-11 08:07 PM
    Funny you mention that, I take mine with me to the pot all the time lol... I guess in the old days they used newspapers. Now we use playbooks as leisure while relieving one's self
    The_Adventist likes this.
    12-08-11 08:36 PM
    I have to say not being tethered (pun intended) to WiFi feels empowering - like today when i was in my car waiting for a family member to finish shopping. I got bored so I grabbed my PB and started surfing no WiFi no problemo.

I Luv my PB.
    12-08-11 08:42 PM
    Although I love the bridge feature the length of bluetooth is terrible. From my kitchen(where my 9810 sits on its charging pod) to my bedroom is roughly 60 feet. Bridge fails every time in that length even though it says its still connected. Wifi hotspot on the other hand, works great on my 9810 and has decent range.
    12-08-11 08:45 PM
    +1
    I leave my Bridge as an "always on" connection and I'm constantly surprised with the BT range.
    BB_Bmore and DavidRupa like this.
    12-08-11 09:05 PM
    I have to admit, the bridge is a really powerful tool, esp now with performance improvement brought by OS 2.0. I often use it to read through meeting materials while I wait in line for my morning coffee. Now, I'm just waiting for improvements to the bridge, speed, reliability, etc
    12-08-11 09:53 PM
    well i'm having issues with the browsing and typing during bridge. (i can't do a search at the moment)... i was about to create a thread for my problem until i saw this one...i've noticed that if i'm browsing for a lengthy amount of time. (roughly 45min.) browsing becomes erratic... typing becomes glitchy, i type a letter and the one above it or across gets typed sometimes even a random letter also gets typed...scrolling sometimes causes the page to zoom in. whether it's the bridge browser or the native browser they both act the same way, not to mention lag when clicking on things...when i went to lunch i turned off the blutooth and everything seemed fine again after the hour, but as soon as i spend more than 40 min. the problems start up again....anyone else?? solution ideas? ....p.s. wifi is fine, only bluetooth.
    Last edited by omega supreme; 12-08-11 at 10:05 PM.
    12-08-11 10:02 PM
    well i'm having issues with the browsing and typing during bridge. (i can't do a search at the moment)... i was about to create a thread for my problem until i saw this one...i've noticed that if i'm browsing for a lengthy amount of time. (roughly 45min.) browsing becomes erratic... typing becomes glitchy, i type a letter and the one above it or across gets typed sometimes even a random letter also gets typed...scrolling sometimes causes the page to zoom in. whether it's the bridge browser or the native browser they both act the same way, not to mention lag when clicking on things...when i went to lunch i turned off the blutooth and everything seemed fine again after the hour, but as soon as i spend more than 40 min. the problems start up again....anyone else?? solution ideas? ....p.s. wifi is fine, only bluetooth.
    Correct me if I'm wrong- I'm not a tech geek. I seem to recall that 802.11b and bluetooth do not play nice with each. Something about both using 2.4 ghz bandwidth? What band is your wireless router using?
    12-08-11 10:32 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong- I'm not a tech geek. I seem to recall that 802.11b and bluetooth do not play nice with each. Something about both using 2.4 ghz bandwidth? What band is your wireless router using?
    well it's G, i have yet to come across a wireless b signal. but the idea of having both on did cross my mind so i turned off the wifi (very low at work anyway)...still, the problem remains.

(edit)
    i was confused as to when i turned off the wifi (before or after i went to lunch), turning it off seemed to have done the trick
    Last edited by omega supreme; 12-09-11 at 10:35 PM.
    12-08-11 10:43 PM
    well it's G, i have yet to come across a wireless b signal. but the idea of having both on did cross my mind so i turned off the wifi (very low at work anyway)...still, the problem remains.
    Well you might have other gadgets operating in the immediate vicinity such as cordless phones, microwaves, printers, etc. Any chatterboxes on the phone while you're browsing?
    12-08-11 10:52 PM
    Why turn a positive thread into one to post your problem with your PB? Start your own thread, with it's own topic, please.

Later,
    B.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-08-11 11:04 PM
    i was at the DMV today for almost two hours. Bridged the whole time. love it. My Torch did start to get kind of warm. Bridge is not super fast but it gets the job done and no additional cost. Of course when I was done I dropped it in my Cargo pants and I was on my way.
    12-08-11 11:10 PM
    Yeah it has proven invaluable. Plenty of times that I even got caught up doing something away from my phone that if it wasn't for my playbook's caller id I would have missed an important call.
    12-08-11 11:58 PM
    Why turn a positive thread into one to post your problem with your PB? Start your own thread, with it's own topic, please.

Later,
    B.
    well, to reiterate; if u read my post carefully i DID say i was having issues with the browser and typing. I DID say i was planning to create a thread since the search bar wasn't working for me. the fact of the matter is this, if i did create a thread about my bridge problem i more than likely would have gotten another ingrate asking me why i created a thread when there are others if i had bothered to search for it...

since my problem is bridge related, i thought i was being considerate and posted in here so as not to create a thread on a potentially old problem. UNDERSTND?

i won't point out that there are countless "i love my playbook" threads (such as this one) but you somehow saw me as the odd man out.
    Last edited by omega supreme; 12-09-11 at 12:09 AM.
    12-09-11 12:05 AM
    well, to reiterate; if u read my post carefully i DID say i was having issues with the browser and typing. I DID say i was planning to create a thread since the search bar wasn't working for me. the fact of the matter is this, if i did create a thread about my bridge problem i more than likely would have gotten another ingrate asking me why i created a thread when there are others if i had bothered to search for it...

since my problem is bridge related, i thought i was being considerate and posted in here so as not to create a thread on a potentially old problem. UNDERSTND?

i won't point out that there are countless "i love my playbook" threads (such as this one) but you somehow saw me as the odd man out.
    Should you be in an iffy cell reception area and get glitches, break the BT link on the phone and reestablish it.
    12-09-11 12:22 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD