If they did I would buy it in a heartbeat. If they do they must do it now to catch the back-to-school wave, or otherwise it may be too late. How's that for wishful thinking?
    I think you need to go stare at ink blots for a couple hours
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-03-13 07:20 PM
    Since OS 10.2 looks like it will have wifi direct, could they not just put out an update for current playbook, and just allow it to be an extended monitor of the phone? And then just allow us to use the bigger tablet to use as if we were holding our phone in our hands?

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 07:37 PM
    I was doing some research and I couldn't find any recent articles from this month but I did find some from this year. Seems like after reading these articles BlackBerry has another tablet in the works

New BlackBerry PlayBook Due Later This Year | TechnoBuffalo

New BlackBerry PlayBook is in the Works According to BlackBerry Exec | TechnoBuffalo

A new RIM PlayBook tablet? RIM hasn

Do you think there will be another PlayBook??? Leave your thoughts below

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Z10
    there is no way they'd ever sell another tablet,,, people would treat them like a good case of lepracy...
    07-03-13 07:46 PM
    Since OS 10.2 looks like it will have wifi direct, could they not just put out an update for current playbook, and just allow it to be an extended monitor of the phone? And then just allow us to use the bigger tablet to use as if we were holding our phone in our hands?
    Can't see your post count on CB10, but WiFi direct allows media sharing without a WiFi access point, but not streaming the screen to another device... but BBM allows screen sharing (but not remote control)... but there was the feature that is called Bridge and works great via Bluetooth if the handheld supports it.
    07-03-13 07:49 PM
    Can't see your post count on CB10, but WiFi direct allows media sharing without a WiFi access point, but not streaming the screen to another device... but BBM allows screen sharing (but not remote control)... but there was the feature that is called Bridge and works great via Bluetooth if the handheld supports it.
    Oh, come on, that was so old school. It was abandoned as bb moved to the 18th century.
    07-03-13 08:32 PM
    ^^But they are "back to the future" now....

Posted via Z10
    07-03-13 09:30 PM
    They "continue to evaluate their tablet strategy, but they have not made any shifts in the short term. When they have new info, they will share it."
    FF22, paper_monkey and JeepBB like this.
    07-03-13 09:42 PM
    First priority for BBRY: Refinements and building base for Z10 and Q10
    Next: upgrade PB OS to 10.2
    In distant future: New PB (very distant future)

Just my opinion.
    07-03-13 10:28 PM
    Didn't you hear about the new operating system that BB's been working on? I think it's called BB7

Anyway I think you all missed this leaked document which was grabbed by the NSA when it peeped into Heins' iCloud account:
    Another PlayBook is in the works?-rim-roadmap-2013-tvi.jpg
    FF22, JeepBB and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    07-03-13 10:28 PM
    You know, I bet those that condemn BB for not being able to put BB10 on the PB would also be the first to condemn them for giving us a crappy BB10 experience on our PBs if they had pushed it out. I said it before, I might not have taken the update anyway on the grounds that I may not have been able to roll back to 2.1 if I was not satisfied. That could have left me with an unusable tablet with a browser that, albeit fast with no checker board, may have froze up after opening a second or third tab. Or there may have been no bridge at all. I'm happy they didn't continue to beat the dead horse that is PB. If they come out with another solution I may have to consider it or get an Android tablet instead. I'm not going to cry about it. PB died a long time ago. BB tried and failed to resurrect it. For a company with limited resources I couldn't have asked for much more or expected more from them. That's the reality of it. I don't see anymore standalone tablets in BBs future nor do I want them to waste time and money on another.
    07-04-13 08:01 AM
    Certainly another tablet is possible if they could find a good manufacturing partner. With the current fast pace of hardware and aggressive price pressure it will be hard to keep up with the competition. BB would have to be more nimble than they have been in the past. They probably will want to think up a new name.

With the HDMI connection you can already have an external monitor but that requires a wired connection. It would be better if a wireless connection could be established not just for transmission of data but also for interactive operation. Believe this is possible now with some devices.
    like bridging an OS7 device to a PlayBook?
    07-04-13 08:11 AM
    In answer to the original question: yes, soon and no they are not
    07-04-13 08:16 AM
    Burn me once shame on you burn me twice shame on me.
    Who in the hell would buy it after the original playbook experience?
    07-04-13 08:19 AM
    I am a devoted Playbook user - so devoted we have three in our home with a fourth on its way. Am I disappointed that BB10 isn't coming to the Playbook? Sure! Would I absolutely buy a BB10 tablet? In a heartbeat. Am I going to pile on Thorsten and BBRY for not releasing BB10 for the PB or a BB10 tablet? No.

Right now Blackberry is in survival mode. I have the Z10 and love it. My office has invested heavily in Z10s and Q10s and my partners and associates love them. We bought licenses for BES10 and it works beautifully. All that means nothing if BBRY is dead in a year or sold off to be carved up by Samsung or HTC. Right now I can't be angry with Thorsten and BBRY for deciding to focus their energy and resources on improving BB10 for new devices and developing new phones to raise their profile in the very competitive but potentially profitable and life saving phone market.

Let's remember, the Playbook is over 2 years old which makes it a senior citizen on the tablet market. I cannot even fathom how hard it must be to compete in a market when only Apple can command $400 for a $150 device and the rest are duking it out in the $100 to $200 price range. Sure I might pay $400 for a new Playbook but I bet I can�t find a single one of my many fellow PB owners (family, friends and colleagues) who would do likewise.

I am excited about the potential of BB10. It is regarded by many as a superior os to iOS and Android. So let's see what BBRY has up its sleeve and hope that they survive long enough for us to see it.

Posted from my Playbook bridged to my Z10 from a campground in Western Manitoba, Canada while my 8 year old son surfs the web on his PB using the Z10 mobile hotspot.
    bitek and triplefan like this.
    07-04-13 11:33 AM
    You would really want an os that runs like garbage just because it was promised, it would be like installing windows 8 on a 386 lol. I think he made the perfect decision to stop bb10 on the PlayBook. If it didn't run buttery smooth soooo many of you people would have complained and started the "oh BlackBerry is dead", "my PlayBook runs like garbage" " I need a update to fix (insert anything you want here)" threads.
    I think the fact that they MIGHT be bringing an updated version with higher specs is the only option to having a bb10 PlayBook. But I'm sure we will see some updates to the pb os since he did state that they are going to continue to support it. They just have to finish the bb10 launches and then they can change some focus to pb. I still love rocking my pb daily as well as my zed10. I feel the pb will be resurrected soonish, that's just my opinion

Posted from My Z10 via CB10
    I agree completely. Blackberry would be crucified by BGR and others for releasing BB10 on Playbook that runs like garbage. it is better not to release it at all than release it and not be good. Having said that Blackberry CEO should not make a promise that he did not know he could keep.
    07-04-13 11:41 AM
    I am a devoted Playbook user - so devoted we have three in our home with a fourth on its way. Am I disappointed that BB10 isn't coming to the Playbook? Sure! Would I absolutely buy a BB10 tablet? In a heartbeat. Am I going to pile on Thorsten and BBRY for not releasing BB10 for the PB or a BB10 tablet? No.
    Right now Blackberry is in survival mode. I have the Z10 and love it. My office has invested heavily in Z10s and Q10s and my partners and associates love them. We bought licenses for BES10 and it works beautifully. All that means nothing if BBRY is dead in a year or sold off to be carved up by Samsung or HTC. Right now I can't be angry with Thorsten and BBRY for deciding to focus their energy and resources on improving BB10 for new devices and developing new phones to raise their profile in the very competitive but potentially profitable and life saving phone market.

Let's remember, the Playbook is over 2 years old which makes it a senior citizen on the tablet market. I cannot even fathom how hard it must be to compete in a market when only Apple can command $400 for a $150 device and the rest are duking it out in the $100 to $200 price range. Sure I might pay $400 for a new Playbook but I bet I can’t find a single one of my many fellow PB owners (family, friends and colleagues) who would do likewise.

I am excited about the potential of BB10. It is regarded by many as a superior os to iOS and Android. So let's see what BBRY has up its sleeve and hope that they survive long enough for us to see it.

Posted from my Playbook bridged to my Z10 from a campground in Western Manitoba, Canada while my 8 year old son surfs the web on his PB using the Z10 mobile hotspot.
    As someone who actually uses their PB, I'm curious about your opinion regarding the Bridge functions with the Z10. I've heard a lot of negative things about it on these forums, but reading through many of the posts I've come to the conclusion that most have no clue as to what they are talking about. I've used my PB almost daily since I've owned it and find it most useful. Especially the Bridge and remote control features. I've watched HD quality videos and movies streamed from the PB on my HDTV through the HDMI connection and it works great. I've even browsed the Internet on my TV through the same connection with the HDMI while sitting across the room with the remote control feature with my 9850. I think its a great tablet. It also makes me suspect of the negative posts about the z10. Any info you could provide would be of great help. I have an upgrade coming soon.
    07-04-13 12:15 PM
    As someone who actually uses their PB, I'm curious about your opinion regarding the Bridge functions with the Z10. I've heard a lot of negative things about it on these forums, but reading through many of the posts I've come to the conclusion that most have no clue as to what they are talking about. I've used my PB almost daily since I've owned it and find it most useful. Especially the Bridge and remote control features. I've watched HD quality videos and movies streamed from the PB on my HDTV through the HDMI connection and it works great. I've even browsed the Internet on my TV through the same connection with the HDMI while sitting across the room with the remote control feature with my 9850. I think its a great tablet. It also makes me suspect of the negative posts about the z10. Any info you could provide would be of great help. I have an upgrade coming soon.
    They have reduced the available functions in the Bridge app. BB10 phones still do the Remote Control stuff (mouse/keyboard). There is also the sharing of data so that the pb can browse (and do whatever else it did) using data from the phone. There are also some of the View or Open on commands where screens or data can be displayed on the larger pb screen.

What they have removed are the apps that displayed the phone's data. There are no more Bridge email, contacts, calendar, memo, tasks or bbm. Those were the functions that only open local apps that showed the info from the OS7 (and earlier) phones. If you closed bridge, that personal data would disappear. The pb still retains its own native apps for some of those functions but not all. The new bb10 devices also no longer have BIS (personal) which compressed data so carrier data packages extended further and which provided powerful filters for email.

I may have missed some things but I'm sure that I will be corrected, if so.
    07-04-13 12:30 PM
    They have reduced the available functions in the Bridge app. BB10 phones still do the Remote Control stuff (mouse/keyboard). There is also the sharing of data so that the pb can browse (and do whatever else it did) using data from the phone. There are also some of the View or Open on commands where screens or data can be displayed on the larger pb screen.

What they have removed are the apps that displayed the phone's data. There are no more Bridge email, contacts, calendar, memo, tasks or bbm. Those were the functions that only open local apps that showed the info from the OS7 (and earlier) phones. If you closed bridge, that personal data would disappear. The pb still retains its own native apps for some of those functions but not all. The new bb10 devices also no longer have BIS (personal) which compressed data so carrier data packages extended further and which provided powerful filters for email.

I may have missed some things but I'm sure that I will be corrected, if so.
    The lack of data compression sucks since I take advantage of that with my family share plan and with 4G being such a data hog. Do we also lose some security with the loss of BIS? I assume that the ability to SMS over Bridge is lost with BB10 phones as well?
    07-04-13 12:55 PM
    The lack of data compression sucks since I take advantage of that with my family share plan and with 4G being such a data hog. Do we also lose some security with the loss of BIS? I assume that the ability to SMS over Bridge is lost with BB10 phones as well?
    I'll have to pass on these questions and hope someone in the know drops in.
    07-04-13 01:25 PM
    Looking at their track record they won't be around long enough to launch another tablet

My one and only venture into bb - have to try everything once . Never again.
    Yes, that's it. This past quarter, they lost all but 20 of their customers. They spent 95% of their cash. They racked up $8 billion in corporate debt. The creditors are calling ...

Such drama ...
    eddy_berry likes this.
    07-04-13 01:29 PM
    I'll have to pass on these questions and hope someone in the know drops in.
    Currently I'm using bluetooth tethering to my Z10 to browse internet when out of wifi zone. Are you saying the data is not compress?
    07-04-13 09:00 PM
    The bridge with BB10 only provides internet connectivity and remote control. If you are on BES it allows you to access your corporate intranet. That's it. Although I don�t miss email, calendar, and contacts because we use BES and both my PB and Z10 are connected, I do miss BBM and SMS. In my view BlackBerry does need to enable these features in a future version of Bridge for BB10, especially if no BB10 for the Playbook means no BBM.

As the Z10 does not use BIS there is no compression for internet. However, as the Playbook can be connected to BES 10 email is encrypted and compressed to the Playbook, whether over bridge or wifi.

I hope that answers some of your questions.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    07-04-13 10:04 PM
    Currently I'm using bluetooth tethering to my Z10 to browse internet when out of wifi zone. Are you saying the data is not compress?
    didn't compression go bye-bye when they ditched BIS???
    07-05-13 10:30 AM
    didn't compression go bye-bye when they ditched BIS???
    That is what I understood, too.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    07-05-13 10:52 AM
    That is what I understood, too.
    That was my understanding as well.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    07-05-13 11:04 AM
55 123