I think the same company which makes the PB for RIM is selling the design to everyone.

Meet the Funbook (even the name ).
    Micromax :: Funbook

Micromax is a low end budget Android phone seller in India. Get the phones made in China, slap on Android and you have a high tech product for the masses.
    coverk likes this.
    04-30-12 11:19 AM
    Why would they copy the playbook?
    dave1701 and Yaceka like this.
    04-30-12 11:26 AM
    interesting, now everyone can also throw this into the kindle fire vs playbook comparisons.

reading the specs on that tablet however, low res screen, 512mb ram, no bluetooth or wireless-N (g only) slightly lower batt life, i wonder how much it costs. the only nice thing about it is it runs android 4.0 and not some silly customized version, as well as possibly USB OTG.
    04-30-12 11:28 AM
    Cos maybe they did a survey and found the iPad to be stale. Same thing repeated over and over again. Gets boring ya know...

Either way seems interesting. Expandable memory slot, in built internet tethering option with Docomo India. ICS.

Trying to get the price. If it's less than $100, I might buy one just for the heck of it.

Although it has a 1.2 Ghz processor. I think ICS wouldn't be happy with a single core 1.2. Should be double core at least.
    04-30-12 11:29 AM
    interesting, now everyone can also throw this into the kindle fire vs playbook comparisons.

reading the specs on that tablet however, low res screen, 512mb ram, no bluetooth or wireless-N (g only) slightly lower batt life, i wonder how much it costs. the only nice thing about it is it runs android 4.0 and not some silly customized version, as well as possibly USB OTG.
    It says it plays HD movies at 2160P!! Is that even a real resolution??
    And does it play HD on native screen or through HDMi only? The screen spec is only 800*600.
    04-30-12 11:32 AM
    Your display pic is perfect for your comment LOL
    04-30-12 11:33 AM
    Why is this considered a Playbook copy as opposed to an Acer, Asus, Samsung, iPad, Motorola or numerous other tablet manufacturer copy?
    narci likes this.
    04-30-12 11:38 AM
    Yup found out more.
    Its for Rs.6,999 which is US$134.00
    Its got USB OTG, can connect to a USB dongle for internet access.
    A friend even bought one. Says the touchscreen is horrible and it stops responding when you open multiple apps. Seems par for the course.
    04-30-12 11:40 AM
    I'm dying to make a really bad "tabla" joke. Guess that means I'm a really bad person. So be it.
    04-30-12 11:41 AM
    Not a PB clone but an interesting cheap tab. Lots of interesting and good quality stuff coming out of India these days. Hard to compete with them. Their main markets right now are in the mid-east, Africa, & South America. I just drove a pretty good small Indian 4WD pick-up truck, Toyota copy, in Turkey - price about $4000.
    Toyota Copy?? Do you remember the name?
    04-30-12 11:42 AM
    I'm dying to make a really bad "tabla" joke. Guess that means I'm a really bad person. So be it.
    WTF is a "tabla"?
    04-30-12 11:43 AM
    It says it plays HD movies at 2160P!! Is that even a real resolution??
    And does it play HD on native screen or through HDMi only? The screen spec is only 800*600.
    it is a real resolution, its 3840�2160 - there are lots of video playing devices that support high resolution, 1080p isn't the be-all, end-all. it just is for the time being, wait a few years we will see 2160p TV's, and then we will think that the current 1080p is just average.

it will probably play on the native screen, but maybe they wanted to 'future-proof' the tablet for new tv's when hooked up via HDMI so it supports the higher resolution, or 2160p isn't as far away as we thought and this is a good way of testing it and cutting costs for later on.
    04-30-12 11:45 AM
    Nice little device for some masala gossip.
    04-30-12 11:52 AM
    Toyota Copy?? Do you remember the name?
    Tata Xenon. They're are a few in South America.

04-30-12 11:59 AM
    No name that I saw, it is a new model but made by a new division of TaTa and sold by TaTa dealers. Smaller than Toyota, maybe 3/4 size, but same look.
    This one:

Called the Tata Xenon.
    04-30-12 11:59 AM
    Tata Xenon. They're are a few in South America.

Beat me by one
    04-30-12 12:00 PM
    I think the same company which makes the PB for RIM is selling the design to everyone.

Meet the Funbook (even the name ).
    Micromax :: Funbook

Micromax is a low end budget Android phone seller in India. Get the phones made in China, slap on Android and you have a high tech product for the masses.
    Yeah. It's a budget-concious Android 4.0 tablet, sort of like the Ainol Novo. It has half-decent specs and access to the Google Play Store, but is not connected to a major brand, so is less than safe in that regard. I have no idea why anyone would consider it a "PlayBook copycat." An Acer A100 copycat is more like it.
    conix67 likes this.
    04-30-12 12:09 PM
    nevermind the tablet, how good is that advertising, i started to want one by the time id flicked through.....lol

if the playbook had a website like that everyone would know what one is.
    Hgouck likes this.
    04-30-12 01:04 PM
    It is a copy of Playbook just because it is rectangular and it has 'BOOK' in the end, right? Lol!
    Maybe micromax is a cheap brand but it is the best amongst the budget phone brand ever existed in India. It's quality is so far almost on par with likes of LG/ZTE.
    The tablet is priced at approx 7000Rupees, we get a Blackberry Curve 8520 at 8400Rupees here.
    What else can we expect at such price? The tablet has been selling like hot cakes.

You can copy a product but VFM is what you just cannot.
    04-30-12 02:15 PM
    It is a copy of Playbook just because it is rectangular and it has 'BOOK' in the end, right? Lol!
    Maybe micromax is a cheap brand but it is the best amongst the budget phone brand ever existed in India. It's quality is so far almost on par with likes of LG/ZTE.
    The tablet is priced at approx 7000Rupees, we get a Blackberry Curve 8520 at 8400Rupees here.
    What else can we expect at such price? The tablet has been selling like hot cakes.

You can copy a product but VFM is what you just cannot.
    Oh yeah the great Indian obsession with VFM....If it's any good it has to be cheap right??? Micromax is the best as it's Indian and it's cheap.

A friend of mine just got it and that's how I came to know about it. Guess what Mr.VFM he says it's garbage. Says the screen is non-responsive, it hangs when you open two apps together and overall he tossed it in the trash. So VFM is throwing away 7000 bucks rather than spending 19000 and get something that works. Good job. That's the kind of thinking that has brought our country where it is. VFM. Spend 2 bucks where ten are needed and then cry over bad roads, bad buildings, bad power supply...but hey its VFM.
    Remember the Light Combat Aircraft we tried to make for 20 yrs because Russian and American fighters were too expensive and we wanted VFM...well guess what, it didn't fly.

Then we tried to make a VFM Advanced Light Helicopter....didn't fly.

Then we spent 15 yrs making our VFM tank called Arjun...guess what it doesn't work and still not inducted in the Army.
    The American military advisors laughed their a**es off watching our VFM attempts. And the Russians are still laughing and it's just not the vodka...they sold their decommissioned Aircraft Carrier to us for three the times the cost of a new one simply because we were trying to make our own VFM carrier and by the time we figured that we can't make a carrier for $50, the two we had basically melted into the sea.
    Eventually we spent more money in trying to make the VFM products than it would have costed us buying them from America, which we are eventually doing anyway.

Sorry for the rant but India's obsession with VFM riles me up.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 04-30-12 at 03:09 PM.
    04-30-12 02:55 PM
    Beat me by one
    That's good. Who wants to see one Tata?
    kbz1960 and homer1475 like this.
    04-30-12 03:55 PM
    That's good. Who wants to see one Tata?
    LOL.....well one is better than seeing Tata.
    04-30-12 04:08 PM
    What does VFM actually stand for?
    04-30-12 04:12 PM
    Just guessing here..but Value For Money?
    04-30-12 04:13 PM
    Just curious why a android based lower spec unit is consider a copycat? The only two things I see similar are the size and color.
    Last edited by Hgouck; 04-30-12 at 04:22 PM.
    04-30-12 04:18 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD