Good news for all of you out there. Our effort of identifying crashing websites and bringing the issue to RIM's attention is yielding some results.

Here is what John, Blackberry Playbook Project Manager, posted in the Beta Zone:

"Howdy,

I'm silently testing each of these websites (as you post them) on our in-development code, and I'm logging the ones that are still broken with the development team. Some, like the evry.com issue, seem to work well on newer software.

We're working to get a software update out to you soon!

John"

See the poll thread here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7287448

Thanks to everybody for your effort in trying to make the PB better.
    04-02-12 09:30 PM
    They, Whom ever they are, Seem to be listing to the board.
    blusls likes this.
    04-02-12 09:41 PM
    They seem to be hinting at an update alot maybe tomorrow?
    04-02-12 09:46 PM
    They seem to be hinting at an update alot maybe tomorrow?
    Soon very Soon.
    04-02-12 09:55 PM
    The suspense is awful! . I just got my playbook on the weekend and want to see what the update brings.
    04-02-12 10:02 PM
    The suspense is awful! . I just got my playbook on the weekend and want to see what the update brings.
    I prefer them not telling us, if they do another company might try to release something so it sounds less important.
    04-02-12 10:05 PM
    Monday/Tuesday date has been rumoured, Monday is almost done (yes almost, each minute counts ) but this update is most likely bug fixes and under the hood stuff. Chances are a lot of the changes will not be seen by the end use, but maybe with that in mind it might manifest itself as performance enhancements. But I highly doubt that we'll have people staying up all night for this like the PlayBook OS 2.0 release
    Jeovex likes this.
    04-02-12 10:05 PM
    Slumber party till 5a!!

Who's with me?!
    Last edited by sagec; 04-02-12 at 10:13 PM.
    04-02-12 10:08 PM
    Monday/Tuesday date has been rumoured, Monday is almost done (yes almost, each minute counts ) but this update is most likely bug fixes and under the hood stuff. Chances are a lot of the changes will not be seen by the end use, but maybe with that in mind it might manifest itself as performance enhancements. But I highly doubt that we'll have people staying up all night for this like the PlayBook OS 2.0 release
    Most likely Tuesday at 5:00am, just like OS 2.0!
    04-02-12 10:08 PM
    The suspense is awful! . I just got my playbook over the weekend and want to see what the update brings.
    Did your PB come with OS 2.0?
    04-02-12 10:15 PM
    I am on Arizona time so i say 9 pm Arizona Standard time ( No Daylight Savings foolery for us)
    04-02-12 10:19 PM
    im not holding my breath
    04-02-12 10:20 PM
    If the new update can stop the crashes of Modern Combat I will be happy. The game was playing beautifully since the 3.0 update (of the game), yesterday it crashed 4x's on me and my Ram shows 581MB free. I haven't played it since.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-02-12 10:25 PM
    How many revolutions does your green spinner do when you check for updates?

I'm getting about 1.25 revolutions average right now. When an update is ready, it seems to take a few more revolutions...
    04-02-12 10:27 PM
    Did your PB come with OS 2.0?
    Yes indeed it did
    hopeforfx likes this.
    04-02-12 10:32 PM
    If the new update can stop the crashes of Modern Combat I will be happy. The game was playing beautifully since the 3.0 update (of the game), yesterday it crashed 4x's on me and my Ram shows 581MB free. I haven't played it since.
    I haven't had any problems with MC2
    04-02-12 10:34 PM
    I dont think we need anymore hints. We KNOW that it will be out "soon". What we need is timeframe.

- Charles
    04-02-12 11:27 PM
    Good news for all of you out there. Our effort of identifying crashing websites and bringing the issue to RIM's attention is yielding some results.

Here is what John, Blackberry Playbook Project Manager, posted in the Beta Zone:

"Howdy,

I'm silently testing each of these websites (as you post them) on our in-development code, and I'm logging the ones that are still broken with the development team. Some, like the evry.com issue, seem to work well on newer software.

John"

Nice work kennyliu in collecting the offending websites and bringing them to John's attention.
    04-02-12 11:38 PM
    How many revolutions does your green spinner do when you check for updates?

I'm getting about 1.25 revolutions average right now. When an update is ready, it seems to take a few more revolutions...
    Counting green spinner revolutions?!? Wow. I thought I paid attention to details......you win the "Playbookaholic of the Month" award. Go to a meeting.
    04-03-12 04:21 AM

"Howdy,

John"

I draw the opposite inference from this; that this indicates that a PB OS update is NOT dropping anytime soon, for the following reasons:
    1. "Soon," as used by John above, means nothing. This is as it should be; John is not authorized to communicate software release dates to the public. This is also a standard phrasing to use in advance of an update.
    2. He states that the code is currently in development. So it's not even in code freeze state, which is typically several phases away from release in a professional software development cycle; generally weeks at least.
    Last edited by cletis; 04-03-12 at 10:26 AM.
    04-03-12 10:23 AM
    I draw the opposite inference from this; that this indicates that a PB OS update is NOT dropping anytime soon, for the following reasons:
    1. "Soon," as used by John above, means nothing. This is as it should be; John is not authorized to communicate software release dates to the public. This is also a standard phrasing to use in advance of an update.
    2. He states that the code is currently in development. So it's not even in code freeze state, which is typically several phases away from release in a professional software development cycle; generally weeks at least.
    "Unlike"! Even if what you say is true, let me have my false hope.....it seems to be all I have sometimes.
    dave1701 and Jean-luc_Picard like this.
    04-03-12 10:32 AM
    This was my reaction as well. They are still testing and changing code based on the use of the phrase "in-development code". If the code is "in-development", it is still a ways away from releasing. They need to finalize this code and test it for AT LEAST a few days before feeling confident in releasing it. I stress "AT LEAST". I would assume they will test it for more than a few days after the code is finalized, but if they are in a rush, they may shorten the testing period. BTW, John's testing of a few websites doesn't qualify as testing time.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    04-03-12 10:35 AM
    Well, SOON maybe, but NOT YET!
    04-03-12 11:44 AM
    WAAHHHHHHHH!!!! I wanted an update today!!!
    04-03-12 11:55 AM
    How soon will it be.
    04-03-12 11:56 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD