06-12-12 02:52 AM
33 12
tools
    What about adding BlackBerry OS 6 or 7, or native PlayBook (QNX) support?

Again, based on the considerations mentioned above, we currently have no plans to update SlingPlayer Mobile for BlackBerry to support new BlackBerry models that run BlackBerry OS 6 or 7. As for native PlayBook or other QNX devices, all we can say is that we are keeping an eye on this market to see how it develops.
    06-05-12 08:04 PM
    Why hasn't Sling Media added support for new BlackBerry devices? Why do you still not support CDMA BlackBerry devices, such as those from Verizon Wireless or Sprint?

Most smartphone operating systems allow a single software design to work on multiple devices from multiple manufacturers. Unfortunately, the BlackBerry operating system is such that SlingPlayer Mobile for BlackBerry needs to be developed specifically for each BlackBerry model. That, along with the significant differences in each major version of the BlackBerry OS, make development and testing a daunting proposition for a product like ours. Worse, there are some very significant problems with implementing our streaming protocols on CDMA BlackBerry devices. Weve simply been unable to achieve the level of streaming quality that customers would consider acceptable.
    06-05-12 08:11 PM
    Exactly why I bought a Vulkano last year. Sling support is awful.
    06-05-12 08:15 PM
    OK if you want to read it as a kiss off. It wasn't a no way. Sounds like good reason for no on 6 and 7. Why do you think RIM is going away from their java based OS.
    06-05-12 08:16 PM
    I didn't even know anyone still used a Slingbox. I've seen BlackBerry ads more recently than I've seen Slingbox ads. I think the last ad I saw for Slingbox was back in 2008.
    06-05-12 08:26 PM
    Rim needs devs for blackberry10 success and devs want to wait and see how the market goes before they commit to blackberry. catch 22 anyone?
    russnash likes this.
    06-05-12 08:26 PM
    Okay now comes the fanbois to rim's defense and say "we didnt want sling media anyway."
    06-05-12 08:28 PM
    Okay now comes the fanbois to rim's defense and say "we didnt want sling media anyway."
    I'm not saying I wouldn't want the app to be available. In fact it is available for the platform I currently use. I'm genuinely surprised, since I never even see Slingboxes advertised and don't see them in stores. I actually thought the Slingbox was discontinued and Sling Media went out of business. I needed to do a search to find out otherwise.
    06-05-12 08:31 PM
    Makes me want to add the op to my ignore list.

Sling is taking a wait and see approach, and I blame no one for abandoning OS6 & 7.

I own a slingbox and am not happy with how they don't support their devices via PC software and firmware updates, and charging $30 for client software on tablets is ludicrous. I'll keep using my slingbox, but it's only a matter of time before a more capable competitor with better reputation comes along and eats their lunch.

If you were considering a sling box for whatever reason, I recommend you investigate other options. Sling has gotten lazy.
    06-05-12 08:36 PM
    That's BS the browser can easily play slingstreams they just Choose to block it.

They can make an app that leverage on HTML5.
    06-05-12 08:36 PM
    I would love to have it. Hopefully they decide to develope for BB10.
    06-05-12 08:43 PM
    Exactly why I bought a Vulkano last year. Sling support is awful.
    Doesnt work for Playbook. Spashtop has sound issues.
    06-05-12 09:16 PM
    Vulkano owners are in the exact same boat as slingbox owners. Only old BB's work and no Playbook.
    06-05-12 09:34 PM
    That's BS the browser can easily play slingstreams they just Choose to block it.

They can make an app that leverage on HTML5.
    Sling uses silverlight.
    06-05-12 09:36 PM
    That statement is over 6 months old already. It would make sense for them to build one for QNX now that RIM has guaranteed that major developers would be compensated. Until the number of QNX devices increases with the BB 10 phones I won't be expecting to see an app from them yet. Vulkano had a good chance to jump in and grab some new customers but they just didn't deliver on the app.
    cleveland216 and drum like this.
    06-05-12 10:47 PM
    Doesn't really matter. The sling app on the other platforms is ridiculously expensive, and there's no way I'm paying that much for an app...
    cleveland216 likes this.
    06-05-12 11:49 PM
    By any measure Sling has been kissing off every platform they already supported for a long time now...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using the CrackBerry Forums App!
    cleveland216 likes this.
    06-06-12 12:44 AM
    I never cared for Sling, so good riddance.
    06-06-12 01:16 AM
    I loved my Slingbox, the concept is just awesome. But I've let them go due to these reasons:

I have the Classic, it needs firmware update for current versions of Slingplayer.
    Older versions of Slingplayer are hard to find.
    Older versions of Slingplayer are not supported in newer OSs.
    Price of new SlingBox to support current platform OSs
    SlingMedia's stance on BB devices.
    Price of SlingPlayer on every mobile device (like $30)

It's something about how this company is being run that's rubbing me the wrong way so I've abandoned them. Trust me I miss Slinging, but I'm not about to let them push me around into paying so much money to upgrade or to use my Classic. I paid for my Slingbox already, sheesh!
    06-06-12 10:33 AM
    I'm not a dev and have only a little insight into their world, but I have a question with the one statement "...the BlackBerry operating system is such that SlingPlayer Mobile for BlackBerry needs to be developed specifically for each BlackBerry model." I'm of the understanding that there are basically two BB models that devs would have to accomodate: full touch screen and the ones with a keyboard (bold-like)...that said, would they not have a worse problem with Android seeing as how there about a million different manufacturers, resolutions, hardware configurations that they would have to test as well. I kind of get the "...along with the significant differences in each major version of the BlackBerry OS..." piece, but on the individual device front - wouldn't developing for Android pose the same if not a wider range of issues. If I'm way off base, can someone with a little more insight please enlighten me. No sarcasm, just trying to understand.

I think they have a legitimate point in that they don't want to expend resources dev'ing and supporting a platform that many perceive as having a questionable future, but is the rest of it legit?
    06-06-12 12:04 PM
    Such a shame a company like this still won't produce a app for the playbook or BB10. I fully understand not doing it for OS7 devices but these companies are really missing customers by just ignoring the BlackBerry platform. I've personally always wanted to get me a slingbox but until they have the app ready for my device it simply won't happen
    06-06-12 12:15 PM
    Wait and see is a bad approach. Those devs who 'wait and see' were never committed fully to Research in Motion/BlackBerry in the first place.

BB10 will kill it.
    06-06-12 12:49 PM
    I love my Playbook and I also love my Slingbox Pro HD. I waited as long as I could but since it seems obvious that Slingbox won't be coming to the Playbook for a long time, if ever, I took a different approach. I paid 70 dollars for a 7inch Android 2.2 device and another 30 for the Slingbox license, and now I can watch Slingbox on the go anytime and anywhere. Sure, it sucks having to lug around two different tablets, but I've gotten used to it so it's not a big deal anymore. I would prefer to have everything on my Playbook but we all know how that's been going up to this point.
    cleveland216 likes this.
    06-06-12 12:52 PM
    To be honest, I haven't used SlingPlayer. But at this moment,the loss of any developer would be crucial. What bugs me is the fact that such developers come out and mock the BlackBerry Platform. You're not just insulting the platform, you're insulting its users too.

These developers make a huge mistake by thinking that they should develop for platforms that have the most users. SlingPlayer develops for Android and Apple platforms. I'm using an iPod and I don't see any reviews on the SlinPlayer app, so its not much of a hit. And with a price tag of $30, I don't think any Android person is going to buy it. Platforms like BlackBerry and WindowsPhone are where your Apps are going to stand out, These platforms are more profitable if you have a mediocre app such as SlingPlayer.

Conclusion: Loss for BlackBerry and a bigger loss for SlingPlayer.
    Last edited by sahil123; 06-06-12 at 10:54 PM.
    06-06-12 10:51 PM
    To be honest, I haven't used SlingPlayer. But at this moment,the loss of any developer would be crucial. What bugs me is the fact that such developers come out and mock the BlackBerry Platform. You're not just insulting the platform, you're insulting its users too.

These developers make a huge mistake by thinking that they should develop for platforms that have the most users. SlingPlayer develops for Android and Apple platforms. I'm using an iPod and I don't see any reviews on the SlinPlayer app, so its not much of a hit. And with a price tag of $30, I don't think any Android person is going to buy it. Platforms like BlackBerry and WindowsPhone are where your Apps are going to stand out, These platforms are more profitable if you have a mediocre app such as SlingPlayer.

Conclusion: Loss for BlackBerry and a bigger loss for SlingPlayer.
    Where did they mock the BB platform and insult its users?
    06-06-12 11:13 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD