Recently I bought myself an android phone. I have to say that anything i dislike about the playbook is minor compared to the flaws of android. The battery life of my phone is good on standby but turning on the screen and doing something kills the battery. QNX at this point is just missing a few apps for me and theres no question which mobile os im going to stick with. iOS is just so.... boring...

Worst thing about android: lacks hardware acceleration in many things
    Worst thing about QNX: lacks an ndk and a gameboy color emulator
    08-09-11 12:39 AM
    Gameboy color emulator., hahahaa

There happens to be a site that runs gameboy color games.
    meltbox360 likes this.
    08-09-11 12:43 AM
    The browser strikes again!!!!! Will look into that thanks....
    08-09-11 01:01 AM
    Compare Android phone to a Blackberry phone, instead of a tablet. I ditched my Blackberry after 6 years of their phones. Droid3 isn't perfect, but it is light years ahead.
    08-09-11 01:02 AM
    QNX is coming to phones and will be the same or less buggy with the same or better performance. Im not saying they are winning right now but give it a little time and without a significant os update android will have a BIG problem. I have used an lg g2x, droidx, xoom, droid 2 but they all fail to impreds me in terms of performance. My nexus one fails to impress me with cyanogenmod despite being better than some newer phones.... I do still like my phone but theres something left to be wanted when the homescreen is not completely smooth....

As a side note live wallpaper would be cool on the playbook, it has the os and SoC capable of it.
    08-09-11 01:20 AM
    Ah, the waiting game. Yeah...keep waiting. The rest of the world will b elsewhere.
    08-09-11 01:27 AM
    Yes and no one waited for android when the iPhone launched. Look where android is today. Just because RIM is late does not mean they will fail. Personally I will be looking at them for my next phone. My current one is not bad, just flawed.
    08-09-11 01:38 AM
    Yes and no one waited for android when the iPhone launched. Look where android is today. Just because RIM is late does not mean they will fail. Personally I will be looking at them for my next phone. My current one is not bad, just flawed.

One problem with your perspective. Android did not stood still. They pushed hard to move the industry forward and forced the industry to do the same while other OS's died for not competiting (symbian, palm, windows mobile). Do you think RIM would actually make a 1.2 ghz handset first? No they were content on making 624 mhz handsets for 3 years.

QNX feels like the next webOS. Even ripped off webOS. Too late to make a dent (webOS and windows 7 proves that)
    08-09-11 01:48 AM
    How so?

This block of text is intended to waste bandwidth, er.. fulfill the stupid 10 character minimum reply. This block of text is intended to waste bandwidth, er.. fulfill the stupid 10character minimum reply. This block of text is intended to waste bandwidth, er.. fulfill the stupid 10 character minimum reply. This block of text is intended to waste bandwidth, er.. fulfill the stupid 10character minimum reply. This block of text is intended to waste bandwidth, er.. fulfill the stupid 10 character minimum reply. This block of text is intended to waste bandwidth, er.. fulfill the stupid 10character minimum reply. This block of text is intended to waste bandwidth, er.. fulfill the stupid 10 character minimum reply. This block of text is intended to waste bandwidth, er.. fulfill the stupid 10character minimum reply.
    lolololololololol xD

Moving on...
    yes this android entity made phones, completely accurate. Actually HTC pushed hardware to try to match apple (which they have imo)

Now that we have the technical aspect out of the way, RIM may have slept for a few years but its because they could afford to with the market share they had. They are not stupid. They know they cannot afford to make subpar QNX phones. Intel made the same mistake but came back swinging and tore AMD back down.

Although I think Intel may have kept much of their marketshare due to under the table agreements during the netburst years. Never liked Intel and never will.

Point is you cant compete with a sub 1ghz arm SoC. RIM knows this now and wont try it again. Also 600+ mhz cpu 3 years ago must have been a scorching fast cpu...
    08-09-11 02:02 AM
    lolololololololol xD

Moving on...
    yes this android entity made phones, completely accurate. Actually HTC pushed hardware to try to match apple (which they have imo)

Now that we have the technical aspect out of the way, RIM may have slept for a few years but its because they could afford to with the market share they had. They are not stupid. They know they cannot afford to make subpar QNX phones. Intel made the same mistake but came back swinging and tore AMD back down.

Although I think Intel may have kept much of their marketshare due to under the table agreements during the netburst years. Never liked Intel and never will.

Point is you cant compete with a sub 1ghz arm SoC. RIM knows this now and wont try it again. Also 600+ mhz cpu 3 years ago must have been a scorching fast cpu...
    Yup scorching fast with paltry RAM, low memory, and no GPU.
    Mr Bigs likes this.
    08-09-11 02:13 AM
    lolololololololol xD

Moving on...

So you're comparing RIM to Intel and Google/Apple to AMD?

Yes, Intel once lost marketshare to AMD, but quickly came back because Intel historically has had more resources they could deploy. Apple and Google have been larger companies than Rim for the past couple of years. Null.

Also, " RIM may have slept for a few years but its because they could afford to with the market share they had. They are not stupid."

Contradiction.
    08-09-11 03:00 AM
    Worst thing about android: lacks hardware acceleration in many things
    Worst thing about QNX: lacks an ndk and a gameboy color emulator
    Best thing of QNX: It runs Android
    08-09-11 05:01 AM
    QNX is coming to phones and will be the same or less buggy with the same or better performance. Im not saying they are winning right now but give it a little time and without a significant os update android will have a BIG problem. I have used an lg g2x, droidx, xoom, droid 2 but they all fail to impreds me in terms of performance. My nexus one fails to impress me with cyanogenmod despite being better than some newer phones.... I do still like my phone but theres something left to be wanted when the homescreen is not completely smooth....

As a side note live wallpaper would be cool on the playbook, it has the os and SoC capable of it.
    That's quite a lot for someone NOT impressed with the platform.
    08-09-11 05:09 AM
    Compare Android phone to a Blackberry phone, instead of a tablet. I ditched my Blackberry after 6 years of their phones. Droid3 isn't perfect, but it is light years ahead.
    Sorry to be pedantic, but light years is a measure of distance not time.
    So essentially what you are saying is that the Androids are from a very far off place, maybe the next galaxy, where they should have remained .
    robtanz likes this.
    08-09-11 05:21 AM
    QNX just feels a lot cleaner than Andriod, also i think technically light years tells you both distance and time.
    08-09-11 06:13 AM
    QNX can run android apps through the Android Player. When Android Player is released and IF QNX is properly supported by RIM it's gonna be a hit. But if RIM pulls out an HP/Palm - Pre 3 is nowhere to be found and TouchPad has little support, then it's gonna be a Nokia story allover again.
    08-09-11 07:23 AM
    QNX just feels a lot cleaner than Andriod, also i think technically light years tells you both distance and time.
    Technically you would be completely incorrect.
    1 Light Year= The distance light would travel in one year's time =9.46 trillion kilometers.
    Please note that there is no unit of time in Light Year.
    mapsonburt likes this.
    08-09-11 08:17 AM
    There's plenty of Android devices with hardware acceleration, lots of mid-range ones don't, but the Motorola Droid/Milestone has one of the best HW gfx acceleration and many new Android platform games takes advantage of the Tegra2.
    08-09-11 09:09 AM
    Technically you would be completely incorrect.
    1 Light Year= The distance light would travel in one year's time =9.46 trillion kilometers.
    Please note that there is no unit of time in Light Year.
    Sure there is. One year.

Yes, Verizon 4G is really that fast!
    08-09-11 09:17 AM
    QNX can run android apps through the Android Player. When Android Player is released and IF QNX is properly supported by RIM it's gonna be a hit. But if RIM pulls out an HP/Palm - Pre 3 is nowhere to be found and TouchPad has little support, then it's gonna be a Nokia story allover again.
    Do we even know if you'll be able to run multiple instances of the Android Player yet? If not, that kills the multitasking capabilities of QNX.
    08-09-11 12:24 PM
    You still didn't answer my question - "How so?"

(Perhaps that's because a mod decided to delete my post which had to include the 10char stuff because asking "How so?" apparantly isn't supported by the forum?!)
    08-09-11 12:27 PM
    Yup scorching fast with paltry RAM, low memory, and no GPU.
    Rim always seemed to have good hardware that underperformed because it wasn't properly implemented. It's a Damn Shame Really !!!!
    08-09-11 01:38 PM
    Oh yeah and the Playbook is properly supported
    08-09-11 01:54 PM
    That's quite a lot for someone NOT impressed with the platform.
    using does not imply owning....

Also you can point to phones with hardware acceleration on android but true hardware acceleration would make every bit of the ui stutterles. There is no fully hardware accelerated android device as far as phones go. Theres something that inherently prevents it in androids design or makes it only accelerated to a point. Anyways android is good but it was not created with future capabilities in mind. This is why QNX will win in the end, it can scale and change on the fly as well as take advantage of as many cores as you throw at it (to a reasonable point in the case of a mobile device). Android still does not have multicore support however tegra zone has ensured something uses two cores and i suspect only a few apps have such support on the ipad 2...

I do not understand why people keep saying the playbook is not what it should be. It just isnt marketed properly. If only we could hypnotize jobs for a little while....
    08-09-11 04:45 PM
    i too am waiting with baited breath for the QNX phones. if i am strong i will even wait for the 2nd development to be released with a lot of the bugs worked out.
    meltbox360 likes this.
    08-09-11 04:51 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD