i too am waiting with baited breath for the QNX phones. if i am strong i will even wait for the 2nd development to be released with a lot of the bugs worked out.
    Not to mention the second generation phones will be monsters in terms of hardware. I just wish RIM would make BIS/BES optional because thats a big thing that kept me from buying a blackberry....
    08-09-11 05:11 PM
    Do we even know if you'll be able to run multiple instances of the Android Player yet? If not, that kills the multitasking capabilities of QNX.
    Not necessarily, you could still have other non android apps opened at the same time.
    08-09-11 05:30 PM
    You are correct the best thing about Qnx is that it runs Android apps. Android OS is best on market, IOS is just too locked down and BB OS is not even worth mentioning its so bad. If you want Qnx on a phone buy a webos phone thats who they copied errrr modeled from. Rim needs to sell to Microsoft or Google they are just too incompetant!
    08-09-11 06:25 PM
    qnx is still in its infancy state.so comparing it to android now what do you expect.of course its going to fall short to android.but qnx will develop and when it does,you can expect it to catch up or even surpass android os.but many people are choosing different phones and different tablets and not just sticking with one platform phone and tablet.there is nothing wrong going that way.i value tech so i consider my needs and wants foremost.
    08-09-11 08:52 PM
    Not to mention the second generation phones will be monsters in terms of hardware. I just wish RIM would make BIS/BES optional because thats a big thing that kept me from buying a blackberry....
    So you're saying that you didn't buy a BlackBerry because of the very thing that makes it what it is? You would go with the RIM hardware if it didn't have its excellent security features which is head and shoulders above the rest? Either I'm thick or I'm just not getting you...
    08-09-11 09:42 PM
    So you're saying that you didn't buy a BlackBerry because of the very thing that makes it what it is? You would go with the RIM hardware if it didn't have its excellent security features which is head and shoulders above the rest? Either I'm thick or I'm just not getting you...
    I would be more than happy with the services bes/bis provide.... for free
    08-09-11 10:20 PM
    I would be more than happy with the services bes/bis provide.... for free
    You know you don't need a data plan with the BB unlike other phones yes ?

While EAS has improved by leaps and bounds , there are still too many security features missing for many corps to take it seriously.

There are really great tools to secure EAS , but they tend to have 3 problems

a)Usually require a non BPO/365 environment as obviously it needs to either be installed directly on the exchange server or a tertiary server that has direct contact with the Exchange Server.
    B)Tend to be specific which platform they secure . Either Winmo or iOS or Android.
    c)Whatever money I'm spending right now basically negates the money saved by not going a BES server.

Who knows things might change with Exchange 2012 , but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Last edited by djdrastic; 08-09-11 at 11:51 PM.
    08-09-11 11:49 PM
    You know you don't need a data plan with the BB unlike other phones yes ?
    Now tell AT&T that. They completely disagree even if you bought the phone on your own. Hate ATT.... hope the tmobile merger doesnt go through because I just left them for tmobile.
    08-10-11 01:30 AM
    Ah jeez didn't know that's how it works in the States.Then your situation is very understandable.
    08-10-11 02:44 AM
    AT&T is being stupid about it. No other carrier in N America is doing what AT&T is doing... yet.

Also I don't know why the CEO said QNX needs dual core, QNX has been around for decades and is a dynamic mutltasking OS that should run on single cores.
    08-10-11 05:27 AM
    Yes ATT said that from their perspective it is completely fair to force me into a data plan. They are the worst cell phone company in the US in terms of policies and dropped calls. Verizon is a little better with policies but costs sooo much more and tmobile is great with price and policy.
    08-10-11 03:01 PM
    You are correct the best thing about Qnx is that it runs Android apps. Android OS is best on market, IOS is just too locked down and BB OS is not even worth mentioning its so bad. If you want Qnx on a phone buy a webos phone thats who they copied errrr modeled from. Rim needs to sell to Microsoft or Google they are just too incompetant!
    I wish people would figure out the difference between a user interface and an os. It sounds so ignorant to claim QNX is a copy of Web OS. QNX was running freaking nuclear power plants long before Web OS ever existed. So how exactly did QNX copy Web OS again?

See I think you mean the UI has similarities. The Tablet OS on the PlayBook has a UI that may be coppied from Web OS. What does that have to do with QNX? QNX is more than a UI you realize that right? Maybe you don't. When People say they want QNX on their phone they mean they want the OS not the gesturific UI of the PB.
    08-10-11 05:18 PM
    I wish people would figure out the difference between a user interface and an os. It sounds so ignorant to claim QNX is a copy of Web OS. QNX was running freaking nuclear power plants long before Web OS ever existed. So how exactly did QNX copy Web OS again?

See I think you mean the UI has similarities. The Tablet OS on the PlayBook has a UI that may be coppied from Web OS. What does that have to do with QNX? QNX is more than a UI you realize that right? Maybe you don't. When People say they want QNX on their phone they mean they want the OS not the gesturific UI of the PB.
    The Problem with that is then you get into the whole is the Ipad just a big ipod argument.
    08-10-11 06:26 PM
    I have been watching reviews on the Nexus 7 tablet by Google and Asus.
    One is here:

I find that the Nexus 7 looks nice with smaller bezel on the sides is super thin with crisp screen. Besides that everything this guy talks about (performance wise) the PB can already do that with only a dual core processor.

PB already plays 1080p video perfectly and games rock! Plus better multitasking!
    Apps are important. But all the talk about multicore tablets and phones has me looking at the PB and appreciating what an awesome OS QNX really is.

I am curious if RIM will redesign the PB 4G or if it will be the same design.
    07-15-12 10:01 AM
    Way to resurrect an 11 month old thread!

RCK
    Hawnz and anon(4018671) like this.
    07-15-12 10:53 AM
    Recently I bought myself an android phone. I have to say that anything i dislike about the playbook is minor compared to the flaws of android. The battery life of my phone is good on standby but turning on the screen and doing something kills the battery. QNX at this point is just missing a few apps for me and theres no question which mobile os im going to stick with. iOS is just so.... boring...

Worst thing about android: lacks hardware acceleration in many things

Worst thing about QNX: lacks an ndk and a gameboy color emulator

same feelings here. i had android tablet and i did not like it.

Sent from Blackberry 9810 with Crackberry forum app
    07-15-12 11:50 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD