First off, I know they're not the same thing. My question is, I hava an android phone I use for tethering when I'm out but now that I'm hooked on my Playbook I wonder if I'm not missing out by not having the matching phone. Has anyone made that switch? Any insight as to which would ultimately be more useful? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    01-14-12 11:18 PM
    Depends on your needs.

I use my Android to tether several devices at any given time (on family trips; laptops, tabs, Wii). Bridge does not give me that.

Most people wouldn't need that. If a BB has the functionality you need, bridge is a valuable tool.

Mobile post
    01-14-12 11:34 PM
    I used bridge for a couple months and I've had the LTE hotspot on my bionic for a while. I prefer the 4G hotspot over bridge. Bridge was too slow and didnt work in apps.
    01-14-12 11:45 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I really don't tether anything except my playbook. My main concern is that I had a bb curve for a short time and (aside from battery life) I wasn't terribly impressed. The browser was really slow and at the time I was already used to Android. Now after using QNX...it's just so stable compared to Android that I'm thinking I can get my games and apps fix (hopefully soon!) from my playbook.

Does anyone know how the connection speed would compare under similar circumstances between tethering and bridge?

Sorry for all the questions. I would have to trade my Nexus for a bb so there's no going back.
    01-14-12 11:45 PM
    if you are going to make the switch, I would wait for a blackberry 10 device. I have an Evo 3D and can't wait to make the comparison to android myself.
    01-15-12 12:11 PM
    That's a good point. My Nexus does just fine for now. Like most of us, I'm sure, when it comes to tech I am usually impatient!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    01-15-12 05:50 PM
    With OS2, the need for a BB phone decreases a lot. You lose out on using the device's keyboard to type on the PB, opening files from the device on the tablet and, last but not least, remote controling the PB.

That aside, no, no meed for a BB.

I know I'm keeping my 9780, though.
    01-15-12 06:03 PM
    i have a torch and i use the bridge for my PB and i don't really find the point of doing it. It is like using my phone with less options which is annoying. I can't say i would switch though. I find the RIM products to be very useful to keep in touch internationally without paying extra and all around keeping social, but could use so more apps (coming soon with andriod apps)
    01-15-12 06:42 PM
    Does anyone know how the connection speed would compare under similar circumstances between tethering and bridge?
    WiFi tethering offers faster speeds than BT Bridging, however the newer BB's offer tethering as well.

I definitely notice a speed difference when I switch from Bridge to Mobile Hotspot on my 9810.

But since both BB and android (& iOS & WebOS) offer Mobile Hotspot (ie, WiFi Tethering) there is no difference barring the different mobile data connection speeds of the devices in question.

ie, the Nexus S is HSDPA 7.2 Mbps, where the BB9810 is HSDPA 14.4Mbps, so tethering on the 9810 would be faster.
    diegonei and anderson620 like this.
    01-15-12 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD