How difficult would it be for BlackBerry to put same version of Android run time in PlayBook? Is it possible? What's stopping them from doing it? I think it would resurrect the PlayBook!
    12-14-13 12:41 PM
    You are not the only one wishing that

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 12:44 PM
    You are not the only one wishing that

Posted via CB10
    What is it and do I need it?
    12-14-13 12:53 PM
    It appears no one knows the answers, even the geniuses are bamboozled!! We want all the applications that 4.2.2 can run and we want them now!!!
    12-14-13 01:18 PM
    What is it and do I need it?
    Haha...You hate android!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    12-14-13 01:49 PM
    Haha...You hate android!
    Yes it does things folks like you shouldn't have access to........it's a homeland security thang

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    sad_old_man likes this.
    12-14-13 02:23 PM
    How difficult would it be for BlackBerry to put same version of Android run time in PlayBook? Is it possible? What's stopping them from doing it? I think it would resurrect the PlayBook!
    From your lips, to BlackBerry's ears. They OWE PlayBook owners at least this little gesture.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-14-13 02:34 PM
    As good as it would be... highly doubtful.

We just may, however, end up with Hub over Bridge. And that'll be nice.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 02:49 PM
    They OWE PlayBook owners at least this little gesture.
    And again: they OWE us NOTHING...
    It would be nice though, obviously.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    12-14-13 03:31 PM
    You want droid then buy droid? Simple yes? Don't buy a Rolls Royce and complain that it doesn't run like a Ferrari?
    Kobe Barksdale likes this.
    12-14-13 03:52 PM
    Alot of Playbook owner were blindsided by BlackBerry's move to kill the Playbooks, there was even a article on Crackberry a few weeks before claiming the PlayBook would be updated to BB10. I bought a third one based on this article that quoted a person in BlackBerry management at the time, it may have been the guy in charge of PlayBook development. There are a number of people on this site who also purchased additional Playbooks based on this update from BlackBerry. I know BlackBerry thinks it owns us nothing they've made that abundantly clear by the red headed step child treatment we've received from BlackBerry. The problem BlackBerry has its that consumers remember bad treatment and service. perfect example I should be posting this with a Z10, But because I remember the way I was treated with my Playbooks this is being posted with a Samsung S3 or my Samsung tab 2. Before Thorson left he did an interview with Crackberry and talked about doing something for PlayBook owners to ease the bad feelings. Did you guy's ever see anything, because I sure didn't. Again red headed step child treatment. If you take your consumer base for granted long enough, you normally end up paying a horrible price in the end.

Last edited by ToddJack; 12-14-13 at 09:13 PM.
    12-14-13 04:18 PM
    Alot of Playbook owner were blindsided by BlackBerry's move to kill the Playbooks, there was even a article on Crackberry a few weeks before claiming the PlayBook would be updated to BB10. I bought a third one based on this article that quoted a person in BlackBerry management at the time, it may have been the guy in charge of PlayBook development. There are a number of people on this site who also purchased additional Playbooks based on this update from BlackBerry. I know BlackBerry thinks it owns us nothing they've made that abundantly clear by the red headed step child treatment we've received from BlackBerry. The problem BlackBerry has its that consumers remember bad treatment and service. perfect example I should be posting this with a Z10, But because I remember the way I was treated with my Playbooks this is being posted with a Samsung S3 or my Samsung tab 2. Before Thorson left he'd did a interview with Crackberry about doing something for PlayBook owners to ease the bad feelings. Did you guy's ever see anything, because I sure didn't. Again red headed step child treatment. If you take your consumer base for granted long enough, you normally end up paying a horrible price in the end.

You just wrote the truth and is a shame that blackberry instead of making stronger the user base of playbook owners with regular updates, they decided to killed it. Shooting themselves on the foot is bad management and business decision.
    BioDave1955 likes this.
    12-14-13 08:37 PM
    You just wrote the truth and is a shame that blackberry instead of making stronger the user base of playbook owners with regular updates, they decided to killed it. Shooting themselves on the foot is bad management and business decision.
    I'm hoping they announce some good news at the enernings report for playbook users, brickbreaker just got releleased and it's john chens first earnings report so I'm thinking there might be some good news ie. bbm numbers, playbook update of some sort, bbm voice/video for iphone and android, or something else interesting i havent thought of. I might be wrong but doing some things they failed on previously would really help their image and even promote people to buy the product! So let's hope they have something up their sleeve!

Posted via CB10 on my ? Q10
    12-14-13 08:52 PM
    I'm hoping they announce some good news at the enernings report for playbook users, brickbreaker just got releleased and it's john chens first earnings report so I'm thinking there might be some good news ie. bbm numbers, playbook update of some sort, bbm voice/video for iphone and android, or something else interesting i havent thought of. I might be wrong but doing some things they failed on previously would really help their image and even promote people to buy the product! So let's hope they have something up their sleeve!

Posted via CB10 on my ? Q10
    I hope your right, but It would be nice if Mr. Chen at least acknowledged we still exist.

12-14-13 09:30 PM
    You want droid then buy droid? Simple yes? Don't buy a Rolls Royce and complain that it doesn't run like a Ferrari?
    True enough, but after this community lost/scared away most of its developers an influx of new apps, albeit side-loaded ones, would be nice...

Alot of Playbook owner were blindsided by BlackBerry's move to kill the Playbooks
    Not just a lot of us were, we ALL were. I agree with your analysis of the situation, but I still think they technically do not OWE us anything. They did themselves an extreme disservice as they probably lost a lot of (potential) future customers. But that's about it, I'm afraid.
    12-15-13 03:50 AM
    Does the Android runtime is under the core locked bootloader? Because it does not, maybe it could be possible to upgrade at least to 4.1 which it's most of droid devices with the speed and memory of the playbook.
    12-15-13 05:30 AM
    They broke a promise to bring BB10 to PlayBook. Bringing 4.2.2 would bring a much wider range of sideload application possibilities, similar to BB10, so prolong the Playbooks usefulness. If this happens I don't think you will hear any more noises from users about BB10 not coming to PlayBook.
    12-15-13 05:32 AM
    Perhaps a foolish question, but has anyone simply tried loading the android runtime bars from a 10.2 leaked OS to see if they'll work?
    12-15-13 07:50 AM
    Perhaps a foolish question, but has anyone simply tried loading the android runtime bars from a 10.2 leaked OS to see if they'll work?
    I'm pretty sure this has been tried already, I think there a number of threads on Crackberry where attempts were made to upgrade Playbooks Android runtime, but I didn't see where anyone was successful in getting it up and running. I think the Playbook OS has to be updated for this to work first.

12-15-13 11:06 AM
    They broke a promise to bring BB10 to PlayBook. Bringing 4.2.2 would bring a much wider range of sideload application possibilities, similar to BB10, so prolong the Playbooks usefulness. If this happens I don't think you will hear any more noises from users about BB10 not coming to PlayBook.
    This is not a unreasonable request, and would atleast provide some closure for PlayBook owners.

12-15-13 11:10 AM
    The leperkhan known as S*O*M knew they wouldn't get BB10 to the PB. And if they didn't do that why expect an Android upgrade. The emulator designed for. BB10 may not be easily transportable to the PB OS and/or may require too much RAM.

Wotevr!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    12-15-13 01:32 PM
    The leperkhan known as S*O*M knew they wouldn't get BB10 to the PB. And if they didn't do that why expect an Android upgrade. The emulator designed for. BB10 may not be easily transportable to the PB OS and/or may require too much RAM.

Wotevr!
    By the way Sir House of Houses, today I paid $452 for an Ipad retina and do you know what? I am so disappointed to find out that not only will it not run Blackberry apps! It wont even run android apps either.........totally disappointed I is?
    12-15-13 02:14 PM
    BB probably already has everything they need to do it right now except the desire and the staff. The company has moved on unfortunately
    12-16-13 04:55 PM
    The current playbook os 2.1 cant run the android 4.2.2 runtime. I tested it. However, bb 10.2 or 10.3 can be run on playbook. We cant load them on pb because of the partitions. If you want to xp on pb, i recommend u get the pb simulator. If you compare the settings of pb n bb10.3 simulators, there isnt a big difference. I set the bb10.3 sim hardware specs to the same as pb, and it runs. Therefore, if there is away to reconfig the partitions, bb10.2 or later can be installed on pb.

Dont bother to flash or root pb. It's futile, serves no purpse n a waste of time. Been there done that. I've tried every pb os n bb10.0 dev os (bb10.0.4 is the most compatible but it wont run the new android bb10.2 runtime)
    The best use for pb is watching movies, reading books, webbrowsing, running android gingerbread apps with sideload. How to know if the android apps would run on ur playbook? It's simple. Download androidx86 version of gingerbread and install it in vmware or vbox. Then get the apps from google play. Copy the apk to pc then convert it to bar n sideload.
    07-24-14 11:53 PM
    Don't forget Android is undergoing a major update for the next version (L). Dumping Dalvik for ART. If by some miracle a 4.2.2 runtime was released, we would be right back in the same boat as apps written for (L) would most likely not run in a 4.2.2 runtime.
    07-25-14 09:55 AM
26 12