The PB is able to execute a fully functional android enviornment like some piddly fart app. Lets see the android OS execute a QNX environment.
    The only issue holding back Android tablets (or any brand/platform for that matter) from running another OS in a virtual environment is simply due to licensing. Android is a free and open project, anybody can use it. It's not an issue or testament towards the capabilities of Android itself. If Apple, Microsoft, or HP decided to do so, they could just as easily accomplish the same with their respective OS's. Google could just as easily add a VM environment to run QNX, iOS, WebOS etc, if they saw a need, the OS was made publicly available, and it were legal to do so.

Virtual Machines/Environments are hardly anything new.

The only thing android is remotely useful for is the apps. Period.
    Yeah... okay.
    Kerms and scorpiodsu like this.
    07-22-11 02:23 PM
    well shootsscores will tell you 15 times in one hour how you dont need apps but he has finally been banned thankfully so i guess you are right, there might be alot lees people making that argument lol.

Honesty i really want to see more core PB apps. I have a transformer, i want to get a PB too but not if all its going to do is be a repeat of some of the android apps that i have to buy again anyway. I want to see complete MS office suite running on it and great NATIVE apps that actually take advantage of the PBs great hardware features.
    A 7" tablet from RIM that has Office suite, Skype, Netflix, FB, and a decent number of other core apps and that I can bridge all by itself would be worth the money.
    07-22-11 02:29 PM
    Native apps are going to take a while. The NDK doesn't get released until Devcon so serious development won't even begin until then (october) so realistically it'll be 2012 before good native apps start to appear. The players (android/bbos) will just provide options until then. Not ideal but better than nothing.
    I know that it wont be out for awhile yet and just supports the idea of why the PB was released way to early IMO.
    07-22-11 02:44 PM
    Installed it, played with it and loved it. It is still an early build it was fun to sideload stuff and play with a few apk's, but it made my PlayBook too moody so it is now gone from my device, i'll be waiting for the official release, cant wait.
    07-22-11 02:51 PM
    I noticed something... You can access the playbook's file system via the andriod web browser. try file:///etc/passwd or file:///etc/os.version or file:///etc/bbidd.conf incidentally sys.android is located in file:///accounts/1000/appdata/

seems the 3rd / brings us to the playbooks root... ooops

I gotta get back to work... so i can't play till later tonight. but have fun all!
    07-22-11 03:42 PM
    The PB is able to execute a fully functional android enviornment like some piddly fart app. Lets see the android OS execute a QNX environment.

The only thing android is remotely useful for is the apps. Period.
    Why would Android want to run the QNX environment? It doesn't need to. It has it's own ecosystem and doing quiet fine on it's own. Sure it's cool to the techie crowd or to say hey look at this. Heck someone hacked Android on to an iPhone but the average person won't care. It's like the comment"try these frog legs, it taste like chicken" I've always said if I want chicken I'd eat chicken, not something that taste like chicken

Android has it's Market with plenty of apps. Can't say the same for the PB it's piggy backing on the back of another platform. In the long run I think this will slow PB developers from writing NDK apps. Would be no need to spend the resources when you have something else that will work.

If Android is only good for it's apps then what does that say about the PB as it's using Android apps as a pseudo marketing tool and to give the device more functionality.

Funny how the common theme here was we don't need no stinking apps. Now that the player was leaked it's like man cooooool we got apps.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    07-22-11 03:55 PM
    Funny how the common theme here was we don't need no stinking apps. Now that the player was leaked it's like man cooooool we got apps.
    Strikes me the common theme is "we'll bash it for not having apps & bash it some more when it does". Pick a side.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 04:10 PM
    Either way, regardless of what people think, it works like a charm.

Sent from my Android on PlayBook using Tapatalk
    07-22-11 04:30 PM
    Yeah... okay.
    So a buggy, crash prone OS that must be hacked to operate properly and efficiently, has energy management issues and is one of the few open source OS that is being trounced with malware has all kinds of uses doesnt it?

Yeah... okay
    07-22-11 04:35 PM

If Android is only good for it's apps then what does that say about the PB as it's using Android apps as a pseudo marketing tool and to give the device more functionality.
    You appear to argue the fact that android has more to it than apps yet the only thing the PB is using it for is the apps. In fact the only functionality android gives QNX is apps. It doesnt make the OS work any better - it doesnt provide an interface to any peripherals that arent available to it anyway - about the only thing I see the leaked android player providing is some form of "native" email (but I havent actually played with the leaked Android player).

Edit: For the record - I think its great with the union of android and QNX - but I see alot of people overstating the value of it IMO.
    07-22-11 04:41 PM
    the leak android app player does have email and that should be capable of activesync. so in theory you now have push email, contact sync and calender
    rsxsniper likes this.
    07-22-11 05:08 PM
    Strikes me the common theme is "we'll bash it for not having apps & bash it some more when it does". Pick a side.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm on the side of let's get those native apps. The android ones are a bandaide for now.

As long as ppl are happy that's cool I just think the Android player is going to prevent the PB from being the best that it can be
    MedChemist and sedalia066 like this.
    07-22-11 05:51 PM
    If Android apps were the end all and be all goal (and judging by the level of excitement I've seen about this...I have to wonder), why not just get an android tablet?
    07-22-11 08:28 PM
    i agree with above. this android leak will get worse and no way that users will get the real android experience. a 10" android tablet is available on pb's prices, so why bother with smaller tablets? it defies market logic no matter how good is the pb browser. portability is paramount, but try typing on pb on landscape. the keypad takes at least 50% of the screen.
    in webos at least you can adjust keypad sizes.not possible here,maybe coming soon.
    and then what would the developers think? they will say, ah it sells even less than windows phone, lets forget about it. see what happened next year when those guys got native email & PIM on wifi and netflix ! and kindle ! and countless applications in this world.
    07-22-11 08:44 PM
    what about multi tasking?
    can we run more than one android app at a time?
    07-22-11 11:17 PM
    don't know. but if all android apps is coming out thru one door (one android player) i imagine you can't load any more than one. unless qnx permits to have multi layer multitasking ( opening apps inside qnx apps(android player) while opening another native apps (i.e browser etc) at the sametime). would be fun if you could.
    07-22-11 11:21 PM
    don't know. but if all android apps is coming out thru one door (one android player) i imagine you can't load any more than one. unless qnx permits to have multi layer multitasking ( opening apps inside qnx apps(android player) while opening another native apps (i.e browser etc) at the sametime). would be fun if you could.
    currently it runs multiple apps in the back ground, you will have to go back to the AP home view to re-select the app. that means it is currently multi-tasking with in the app player
    Last edited by sf49ers; 07-22-11 at 11:58 PM.
    07-22-11 11:53 PM
    currently it runs multiple apps in the back ground, you will have to go back to the AP home view to re-select the app. that means it is currently multi-tasking with in the app player
    i know some of the android tabs allow you to click on the multitasking button that shows all the programmes running. that would be good enough, although it would be nicer if we could use the swipe gesture to move between apps to have one app experience.

i guess we'll have to wait and see.
    07-23-11 04:03 AM
    So a buggy, crash prone OS that must be hacked to operate properly and efficiently, has energy management issues and is one of the few open source OS that is being trounced with malware has all kinds of uses doesnt it?

Yeah... okay
    Where do you get the impression Android is a buggy, crash prone OS? It's a very stable OS and performs quite well. And by no means does it need to be hacked to operate properly. Sure there are many people that like to tinker with their devices and will root their devices, but realistically, there is no actual need to root the device. Energy management is just fine too. The numerous Android devices famous for low battery life is a result of packing bleeding edge hardware that consumes a lot of energy. It's a tradeoff that many users find acceptable (at 550,000 activations per day).

I understand that you feel a need to demonstrate a loyalty to your preferred platform. But at least do it in a manner that presents factual information. The PB and BB QNX have enough merit behind them that there's no need to use hyperbole to denounce other platforms.

The PB is a competitive device by current hardware standards. The QNX implementation is showing great promise, and while RIM continues to focus resources towards it, it will get even better. Including a VM Android implementation to it's list of capabilities provides more options to the end-user, and there will be many many users who will take advantage of the opportunities it presents. I'm a bit concerned with how implementing Android will play out in regards to BBQNX building its own app/developer ecosystem, but that remains to be seen, and results won't play out for a couple of years. IMHO; While the BB end-user will find benefit from Android apps on their BB devices (limited or significant benefits, mileage may vary from user to user), the overall benefits to RIM will be hindered if it slows down their progress to build their own app/developer ecosystem.
    07-23-11 08:10 AM
    my dell streak , 5" screen, 1500mah battery, 3,5G with pushmails, calls and sms, browsing, lots of news applications (bloomberg etc) lasts for about 12 hours- a working day. its a hummingbird 1 GHZ.
    using my torch, 3.2" screen, 1100 mah, similar use plus bridge bluetooth to playbook, and my playbook (virtually no apps but news360 and the browser) last for about 12 hours. i don't use bbm or facebook. 624gHz processor for torch, 1 ghz for pb.
    so android are not that bad after all. using torch for browsing + daily usage won't carry me very far..12 hours at most.
    after using combo torch +pb for about a month i get tired of it, and buy the streak instead. one device ( its a BIG phone) which can satisfy my requirement of cellular use and reading/media consumption. 3G pb is a good choice for me so i can carry a dumbphone with 2 weeks battery life and still get world-class BIS services on a 7" tablet. personally bridge was never satisfactory for me, and after using the combo above, i still have to charge 2 devices at night.

so to stay ahead with this bridge, bigger battery is a must, but 3G pb is better since its independent of the handsets and you can still get thru a long day with enough juice on your phone until you got home.
    07-23-11 09:29 AM
    I deleted the Android Player.

It was fun to play with. Lots if Apps actually work just fine. There are even good email options.

No Android Apps really wowed me.

I'll wait until the Android Player is released in a non-beta form.
    07-24-11 06:39 AM
    Really like the look of it.

Will be a lot better when it's officially released and the apps aren't buggy
    07-24-11 07:09 AM
    Well, I think that the fact we are seeing the potential of the Android App, I think this is great.
    We already have FLASH.. Big Plus over the iPad.
    Runs true Multi tasking.. Big Plus over iPad and many others.
    Smaller but not too small.. Big Plus over iPad.
    Now I have Kindle through the Android App.
    Now I have Pandora through the Android App.
    I'm sure the Nook App will follow soon on either the Android App or through the Playbook.
    When Netflix Streaming comes our way, I'll be really happy. Either way through the Android App or not.
    I think when the Android App is finally officially released, this will be a really a BIG HUGE Plus for the Playbook. Not to mention some of the stuff that will be released from The Astonishing Tribe, there will be a lot of people wishing that they would have bought the Playbook instead of an iPad.

My Honest Opinion!
    07-24-11 09:03 PM
98 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD