I think it killed native app development for the Playbook in the beginning because RIM announced it was going to be there before the Playbook even launched, and developers decided to wait. RIM then took forever to deliver it. Then by the time it came out people didn't care as much and the first version sucked! And now that it is working better, I still say it isn't a good thing. I still think RIM needs to clearly mark Android ported apps because I don't want them and you have no way of knowing if they are or not native. Also I think is has increased app piracy as you see all these people side loading apps. Delaying BB10 a year has also killed app development.
    howarmat likes this.
    11-11-12 05:09 PM
    i agree with this assessment. but the question still remains. is it good for playbook to have it or not in your opinion. i think it is good and makes the tablet unique. Sort of like Canada is unique because we have one french speaking province
    Clearly you haven't been to New Brunswick, our only officially bilingual province... Les Acadiens, c'est les francophones aussi!

Oh, and the Android player allowed me to sideload specific remote control apps for my audio equipment, allowing my PlayBook to remotely control my home theater amp and my digital grand player piano. Good or not, these apps will never be made for the PBOS, for my equipment, Android apps are the solution. We'll see how BB10 changes this, hopefully the door will be kept open for Android.
    11-11-12 11:01 PM
    Montrealer born and raised downtown many moons ago, there's no other place on the planet quite like it and I've been around, btw, you never mentioned the food
    tartar stakes.......just for this drive from t.o to Montreal is all worth it

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    11-11-12 11:41 PM
    Bad does not explain how disappointed I am with it... So many apps that I want don't work with the Playbook. I want to sell this and get the Nexus 7 but I can't because I can't justify paying around $150 for a tablet that I don't need and rarely use. I already rarely use the PlayBook..
    11-11-12 11:59 PM
    It was a terrible idea for RIM. Now all the developers would rather port their Android apps instead of making a Native one. An android app will NEVER run as smooth on the PlayBook as it will on an Android tablet. Well, unless you can combine the the two OS's, not just a player. For instance, Photo Studio is a great app and wouldn't it be awesome if it was a Native app? The dev could have used the awesomeness of QNX to create a more powerful photo studio app. However, the dev took the short-cut by porting the android version...but I also have to give some credit to the dev for continuing to update the app. Both free and paid version.

The Android Player also cuts down the full power of QNX. It takes up quite a space and plenty of RAM. The player also allowed tons of broken and laggy apps into app world. Also, do you really like to see a New UI (QNX ) and Old UI (Android ) apps in one tablet? NO!

I would rather have quality apps than quantity. Don't want any app that will just be a waste of time.
    11-12-12 12:33 AM
    Clearly you haven't been to New Brunswick, our only officially bilingual province... Les Acadiens, c'est les francophones aussi!

Oh, and the Android player allowed me to sideload specific remote control apps for my audio equipment, allowing my PlayBook to remotely control my home theater amp and my digital grand player piano. Good or not, these apps will never be made for the PBOS, for my equipment, Android apps are the solution. We'll see how BB10 changes this, hopefully the door will be kept open for Android.
    Les Quebecois speak French? Don't tell that to my wife (who speaks perfect Parisien).

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    11-12-12 02:33 AM
31 12