so i know the android player wont be out for a while but i have a few questions that yall might know.

are we going to benefit from the android exclusive apps? apps such as google music, google+, ect?

if we can have either of those the playbook has just become a lot better looking to the people who were on the fence about a pb vs an android tablet.
    07-01-11 02:48 PM
    They need to be created by the Developer.
    For example, I HIGHLY doubt that google will allow the developer to publish Google Music to the BlackBerry App World.
    07-01-11 03:04 PM
    For example, I HIGHLY doubt that google will allow the developer to publish Google Music to the BlackBerry App World.
    Rather, they have to be repackaged and re-signed for release into App World. If the original developer doesn't do this, then it pretty much can't happen.
    07-01-11 03:09 PM
    so its only apps the developers also want to run on the playbook that we will be able to utilize?
    07-01-11 03:12 PM
    so its only apps the developers also want to run on the playbook that we will be able to utilize?
    yes. that's how it works.
    07-01-11 03:19 PM
    I'd say wait for the app player to come out and then see what happens. I do agree some developers may not want their software on the BB but the majority will and I am pretty confident that many people will figure out how to purchase apps in say the android marketplace then convert them to be run on the android app player on the playbook.
    Before anyone jumps on me there is no proof of this being possible its all speculation and we won't know anything for sure until the player is released and we know how android apps are exactly converted.
    Philldoe and BrokenSaint like this.
    07-01-11 03:20 PM
    and I am pretty confident that many people will figure out how to purchase apps in say the android marketplace then convert them to be run on the android app player on the playbook.
    I surely don't even know if that will be possible... but men... it would be awesome if it does...
    07-01-11 06:27 PM
    I think it would be smart for Google to release their apps on the Playbook, but for a fee. Google could probably make a ton of cash off this.
    07-01-11 10:10 PM
    I surely don't even know if that will be possible... but men... it would be awesome if it does...
    We won't know until its released but personally I don't see why not. We can already side load apps if you have the bar file. I feel it will only be a matter of time before we can side load android apps. Only drawback or issue I see are connectivity or use of internal hardware (maybe some apps won't be compatible with playbook hardware) once again only time will tell.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-11 01:41 AM
    I think it would be smart for Google to release their apps on the Playbook, but for a fee. Google could probably make a ton of cash off this.
    What apps are you talking about?
    07-02-11 03:11 AM
    There is an app in App World now called Stay Lit Music that claims to launch Google Music Beta.
    07-02-11 07:50 AM
    There is an app in App World now called Stay Lit Music that claims to launch Google Music Beta.
    the website you mean?
    07-02-11 11:58 AM
    I have a question as well for the Crackberry Nation.

If it is an Android "player" does that mean the whole Playbook will be devoted to playing it and it will exclude other stuff, in other words can you still multitask with AIR html5 or whatever other apps? Will the android stuff be limited as to access to machine specific stuff, like bluetooth or the audio system, or other hardware oriented things that might vary from an android device? In other words will it be a true android device without limitations because it is on a "player "instead of the real OS?

I mean there is a different screen, different touch system - there must be other things that can't be easily ported like touch gestures may operate differently, bezel swipes and things may not be available.. you get my drift..

I'm not a programmer so much , but aren't there operating system calls that things written for android would not have access to?
    Or android OS calls that QNX would not have access to?

I think a lot of people have the impression that an android "player" will automatically open up the whole world of Android and I have a feeling that isn't the case....certainly there is a lot of device specific stuff in android app world that would not port or play well.. true?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-02-11 at 01:34 PM.
    07-02-11 01:25 PM
    I have a question as well for the Crackberry Nation.

If it is an Android "player" does that mean the whole Playbook will be devoted to playing it and it will exclude other stuff, in other words can you still multitask with AIR html5 or whatever other apps? Will the android stuff be limited as to access to machine specific stuff, like bluetooth or the audio system, or other hardware oriented things that might vary from an android device? In other words will it be a true android device without limitations because it is on a "player "instead of the real OS?

I mean there is a different screen, different touch system - there must be other things that can't be easily ported like touch gestures may operate differently, bezel swipes and things may not be available.. you get my drift..

I'm not a programmer so much , but aren't there operating system calls that things written for android would not have access to?
    Or android OS calls that QNX would not have access to?

I think a lot of people have the impression that an android "player" will automatically open up the whole world of Android and I have a feeling that isn't the case....certainly there is a lot of device specific stuff in android app world that would not port or play well.. true?
    you are pretty much right about all of it. Several of us have been trying to inform people of this because most people assume you will see 200k apps available instantly. There are widgets, themes, root apps and many others that cant run on the PB at all. this will cut down the amount that can be ported instantly. We just have to see what the app player is capable of really.
    07-02-11 02:30 PM
    the website you mean?
    I assume that it's simply a launcher and not a true app. I don't use Google music, so I don't know anything about it. The "app" does advertise one cool function - the launched window won't time out.
    07-02-11 03:01 PM
    yeah it might be a launcher with special code to keep screen on.
    07-02-11 06:02 PM
    What apps are you talking about?
    Talking about some of Google's own apps.
    07-02-11 06:04 PM
    the website you mean?
    Yes, I can confirm that it does simply load the website. However, this is actually huge because if you've tried navigating Google Music in the Playbook browser, it does not work (though it does work in the Bridge browser, oddly).

It also does keep the screen lit, so all in all I'd say it was $1 well spent.
    07-02-11 07:51 PM
    Talking about some of Google's own apps.
    Which apps???
    07-02-11 10:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD