With all this talk about Android on BB10, i'm thinking why not make it available on our PlayBooks.
    08-28-15 01:07 PM
    If you are referring to the original Playbook. It only has 1 GB RAM. Android OS would really lag. I can hear it now, "Android destroyed my Playbook"

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by Fidel Mercado; 08-28-15 at 05:50 PM.
    08-28-15 01:30 PM
    With all this talk about Android on BB10, i'm thinking why not make it available on our PlayBooks.
    Stock Android.... sure would be cool.

The BlackBerrized Android.... most seem to think that it will require premium hardware and that most of the line up couldn't handle it.... so the PlayBook would have a very hard time with it.

But their are other issues with Android....
    1) Royalties that OEMs have to pay to Microsoft, due to patents that MS owns. Who is going to pay those fees?
    2) Certification fees for Google Services.... each OEM has to PAY to have their devices tested and certified by a 3rd Party. Might be OK for a device with a few million NEW sales.
    08-28-15 01:37 PM
    There are also a lot of development costs to build and debug and entire OS for BB hardware, and BB I'm sure isn't anxious to spend (read; lose) any more money on devices that they've already taken a loss on.

Besides, the Playbook is 4 years old. No company is supporting 4 year old hardware, and for good reason. If you want an Android tablet, buy a new modern one with modern hardware. You'll be much better off.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-28-15 06:14 PM
    If you are referring to the original Playbook. It only has 1 GB RAM. Android OS would really lag. I can hear it now, "Android destroyed my Playbook"

How much RAM does the new Moto G come with?
    08-29-15 01:40 AM
    Playbook=end of life. Nothing will come for it. Ever.

I am a Playbook owner and not cynical about it. That is just the reality in tech. Once it is officially eol by the company,it will no longer update or support it. If you want to keep fighting that fight, have Microsoft update Windows XP.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 01:49 AM
    How much RAM does the new Moto G come with?
    Also 1 GB of RAM, however in addition the Playbook is powered by a dual core chipset. It has less power than a low end smartphone with minimal memory. Android would absolutely suck on it. BB10 would actually suck on it.

08-30-15 07:13 PM
    I demand BlackBerry to release Android for the Bold 9900 I have in a sock drawer somewhere! How dare they not support my device!

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, T-Mobile, no camera, 10.3.2.2205
    08-31-15 05:20 AM
    They won't make it available for the Playbook simply because the Playbook doesn't exist for BlackBerry. You might as well be asking if BlackBerry will be offering BB10 support for an old ipad.
    08-31-15 07:43 AM

That's not the case at all. Android isn't the resource hog that BB10 is. Remember, the PlayBook never got the update because of how much RAM BB10 requires just to function properly.

The BlackBerry PlayBook is basically a blown up Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The screen and battery is bigger, but pretty much everything else is identical to what the Galaxy Nexus has. The GNex can and does run Lollipop smoothly, so why wouldn't the PlayBook be able to do the same?
    08-31-15 08:51 AM
    That's not the case at all. Android isn't the resource hog that BB10 is. Remember, the PlayBook never got the update because of how much RAM BB10 requires just to function properly.

The BlackBerry PlayBook is basically a blown up Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The screen and battery is bigger, but pretty much everything else is identical to what the Galaxy Nexus has. The GNex can and does run Lollipop smoothly, so why wouldn't the PlayBook be able to do the same?
    Because BlackBerry hates PlayBook owners ;-). Yeah Android should be able to run fine on PlayBook, the SoC is good enough. RAM is the reason the PlayBook didn't get BB10, but it has no enough to run Android L for sure.

It would be a nice good faith gesture for BlackBerry to give PlayBook owners the option of going to Android, but BlackBerry doesn't care about people who actually bought their hardware and doesn't view them as valued customers.

Posted via Z30
    Witmen likes this.
    08-31-15 11:12 AM

It would be a nice good faith gesture for BlackBerry to give PlayBook owners the option of going to Android, but BlackBerry doesn't care about people who actually bought their hardware and doesn't view them as valued customers.

Posted via Z30
    Indeed, they wouldn't even need to make Android for the PlayBook. Just give people the option to unlock the boot loader and we could put Android on it ourselves.

The HP Touchpad actually worked like that. Lots of people bought the Touchpad for the sole purpose of putting Android on it. HP never put out a Android update, they simply allowed people to do what they wanted with the hardware they paid money for.

HP killed their tablet and then said "hey, go to Android if you'd like". BlackBerry killed their tablet and flipped off everyone who bought one.

Folks are still happily getting use from the abandoned Touchpad today thanks to HP allowing owners to switch to Android.
    08-31-15 03:11 PM
    Why?
    Purchase a cheap azz Android tablet if that's what you want. Sorry to say the PlayBook is dead. We were all guinea pigs for BB10.
    08-31-15 06:18 PM
    I would be happy with a full feature bridge. Heck, if Blend worked I would be happy.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 06:45 PM
    #1. Playbook isn't dead, at least mine isn't! Using it every day still.
    #2. Why would Playbook need android? I was thinking at first you really meant, why not put android on the theoretical New Future Updated Playbook.

Personally, a PlayBook that has more ram would make me happy , and the OS is fine already, but BB10 would be fine, too. Bigger or the same size, i like the size it is now.

Also, i heard here the Playbook had usb to go but it was left disabled on purpose for security reasons. If thats the case can ge hardware be enabled through a software update (not for real, but technically, i know it wont happen)?

I would be first in line for a new Playbook but, not if it is really running on android.

Still love my old one, but will turn to my Z30 or my Z10 to run a reliable video stream. Playbook does great, but after a certain point, like maybe 20 minutes, maybe alot longer, it will get that popup window that says sorry, we've stopped working. It really is caused by commercial breaks somehow.
    Fire In The Bones likes this.
    08-31-15 10:07 PM
    Why?
    Purchase a cheap azz Android tablet if that's what you want. Sorry to say the PlayBook is dead. We were all guinea pigs for BB10.
    Because "cheap azz" Android tablets don't exactly have the same build quality or battery life as the PB. The PB is dead from the BB side, but it'd definitely fly with the right custom Android rom.
    09-01-15 09:29 AM
    Because "cheap azz" Android tablets don't exactly have the same build quality or battery life as the PB. The PB is dead from the BB side, but it'd definitely fly with the right custom Android rom.
    Hmmmm? Drop a Chevy motor into a Ford. Will it work? Probably. Why would you go through the trouble? It's not a direct fit.
    You maybe right with build quality. But that's the world of Android. Everybody and there mother and brother throwing Android OS into a cheap peace of plastic.
    09-01-15 05:54 PM
    Hmmmm? Drop a Chevy motor into a Ford. Will it work? Probably. Why would you go through the trouble? It's not a direct fit.
    You must not go to car shows very often. Nearly every single old Ford hot rod I see at shows has a GM motor and trans in it.
    dphjeff likes this.
    09-01-15 06:33 PM
    You must not go to car shows very often. Nearly every single old Ford hot rod I see at shows has a GM motor and trans in it.
    Have you ever tried it? Not as easy as one would think. By the way touch`e.
    Witmen likes this.
    09-01-15 07:08 PM
    Have you ever tried it? Not as easy as one would think. By the way touch`e.
    Nah, I'm a Mopar fan myself. Cramming a GM motor into a Ford body has never made sense to me, but I imagine it isn't easy to do. I've always wondered why so many people do it though. I instantly get disappointed whenever I see a otherwise beautifulIy restored Ford with yet another small block Chevy under the hood.
    09-01-15 07:53 PM
    This is my problem with the OP's question. If you want an Android device or Android OS, why in the sam hill would you put it on a device that BlackBerry has deemed useless. Yes, the PlayBook still works with the same issues and more that it had when it came out. I have 5 Playbooks and use them often. However the sluggishness of the browser is almost impossible. Not to say the apps are nonexistent. BlackBerry wouldn't put BB10 on it why would they put Android on it or even free it up the let us do it. Just saying.
    Last edited by dphjeff; 09-01-15 at 09:42 PM.
    09-01-15 08:03 PM
    09-04-15 09:43 PM
    Dropping a Chevy 1st Gen small block into a ford is easy and cheaper than building a ford engine. If you are so inclined, it's in also easy to drop a Windsor series ford, ls Chevy and sometimes a modern hemi into a variety of vehicles. The mod motor Ford, not so much.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 09:14 PM
    Dropping a Chevy 1st Gen small block into a ford is easy and cheaper than building a ford engine. If you are so inclined, it's in also easy to drop a Windsor series ford, ls Chevy and sometimes a modern hemi into a variety of vehicles. The mod motor Ford, not so much.

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm? Custom motor mounts, custom drive shaft, modified linkage and oh yes modify the fire wall (depending on make and model). All and what about the cooling system and exhaust? Don't tell me it's easy as pie. Been there done that. Besides it was a metaphor. One can put a Yugo motor in a Corvette but why in the puck would one do that? Just because you can? Yes, if one wants to throw good money at bad just because? Let me ask this what's your return on your investment?
    Last edited by dphjeff; 09-08-15 at 12:04 AM.
    09-07-15 11:26 PM
    ROI in any custom job you do for yourself is usually expressed in large negative numbers.

I have been shopping for a replacement for my playbook and I can't seem to find anything that bests it's feature for under $300 cnd. Most of the lower end androids are pure crap. I would be nice to be able to keep using blackberry's impressive hardware with a browser that works.

Posted via CB10
    dphjeff and Fire In The Bones like this.
    09-08-15 06:24 AM
27 12