I recently picked up the lg motion 4g for metropcs. It does support hotspot for a fee of 10 bucks a month. I decided not to go with the service and root my phone. With this app wifi_tether_v3_2-beta2.apk - android-wifi-tether - WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.2-beta2 *** BETA *** - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting
    I've been able to connect my laptop. but my playbook doesn't see my network. I've tried foxfi and it didnt work.

Perhaps someone knows what app works with the playbook?
    09-26-12 08:48 PM
    PlayBook Rooting
    DingleBerry and rooting / jailbreaking the PlayBook discussion
    Try this section of the forums
    09-26-12 08:57 PM
    The PB does not support ad hoc mode. My D4 works fine so I don't know what to suggest. You don't need anything on the PB. You should ask in some Android forums.
    09-26-12 09:01 PM
    I use the built in one on ics with my Galaxy Note.
    herculesinwyoming likes this.
    09-26-12 09:49 PM
    ok, I use this a lot with my PB through my Galaxy ace.

You have 2 options, both which work.

1. Install FoxFi & the proxy plugin on your phone. This sets up a wifi hotspot but which also hides the tethering. You then manually setup up a wifi connection profile on the PB & when you want to use it you just switch to that profile. You are then online, and also hidden from tether use.

2. You do the same through bluetooth after installing either BlueDUN or PDANet onto your Android. You activate the app on your phone then activate Internet tethering on your PB- selecting your network profile. You will be warned about charges, etc. However both BlueDUN and PDANet again have the same principle - to allow data connection use from your phone whilst 'hiding' you from tether charges. BlueDUN is better (but has cost); PDANet is free.

I do use both ways. It may sound more complicated but the Wifi hotspot using FoxFi is the easiest way. Once setup you simply activate FoxFi, change your Wifi setting on PB & hey presto - you're online with data. I used this last week through my Galaxy Ace to do a video call from a coffee shop - worked superbly!

Hope this helps
    09-26-12 11:43 PM
    i use Foxfi no root required
    09-26-12 11:51 PM
    I recently picked up the lg motion 4g for metropcs. It does support hotspot for a fee of 10 bucks a month. I decided not to go with the service and root my phone. With this app wifi_tether_v3_2-beta2.apk - android-wifi-tether - WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.2-beta2 *** BETA *** - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting
    I've been able to connect my laptop. but my playbook doesn't see my network. I've tried foxfi and it didnt work.

Perhaps someone knows what app works with the playbook?
    I'm using SVTP. It works flawlessly. There's a free trial, then pay to use it one time charge. It's perfect for me. Actually switched over to it to connect to reply to this post. Also no root needed.
    HTH,
    B.
    Last edited by wbrian; 09-27-12 at 01:22 AM.
    09-27-12 01:20 AM
    SVTP is a worthy cause as well with their support for developing internet access in remote parts of Africa and how payment is recycles to support the project.

I guess my preference being FoxFi is that my carrier doesn't allow tethering on an unlimited data plan without extra charges. No all carriers do this, but FoxFi's use of a proxy through the add-on means it simply appears as normal mobile usage. FoxFi just looks like you're hooking up to any other wifi connection -which is why its so easy to use.

Ok no hiding of tethering is perfect, and a carrier will spot any abnormal amounts of use & suspect something - but for someone like myself, who doesn't go anywhere near the fair use limit per month, its ideal - plus its free & doesn't need root. Actually non of the tethering apps I use need root.
    09-27-12 03:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD