I'm thinking of trying out an Android phone with a hotspot to see if the browser is better than tethering with my slow curve. Looks like Sprint might not get the new Bold until much later if at all so time to see what my options are. I'll probably end up back with blackberry with the QNX phones, hopefully this time next year.

So what phone do you have? What speeds are you getting with the hot spot?

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Does your Pb load and play flash content when connected by the hot spot? what about streaming movies/tv?

I'm think of the Nexus S 4G. Anyone have that phone?

thanks for any feedback
    Last edited by mom21; 05-20-11 at 07:24 AM.
    05-20-11 07:21 AM
    The Nexus S is a nice phone, but it's 6 month old technology as the Nexus S came out in late 2010 on T Mobile. You may want to look at some of the new Blackberrys that are coming out this summer.
    05-20-11 07:27 AM
    I can answer that.
    I tethered using my torch on a 3g plan via bluetooth and I got a speed of 1.2Mbps. Initially I put that on the service provider. Then just to experiment I switched my Sim card to my wife's Android 2.2 phone and tethered via the wifi hot spot and got a speed of 4.5 Mbps. I've tried this numerous times with the same results.
    It can stream youtube without breaking and also access App world which the PB doesn't through Bluetooth tethering.
    You won't go wrong with that combination. Obviously you will have to sacrifice Bridge featured though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    wheresmy600 likes this.
    05-20-11 07:29 AM
    The Nexus S is a nice phone, but it's 6 month old technology as the Nexus S came out in late 2010 on T Mobile. You may want to look at some of the new Blackberrys that are coming out this summer.
    I'm not sure what you mean by old "technology"? I know that the new Sprint Nexus S version is basically the same as the T-Mobile technology, but does this phone lack features that the newer Androids have? I know it does have Gingerbread which few of the Sprint Android phones have.

Regarding waiting for new Blackberrys this summer, I have not seen any leaks or anything about Sprint carrying them. Also, none of the BB's to be released this summer seem to have a hot spot.
    Last edited by mom21; 05-20-11 at 07:43 AM.
    05-20-11 07:40 AM
    I can answer that.
    I switched my Sim card to my wife's Android 2.2 phone and tethered via the wifi hot spot and got a speed of 4.5 Mbps. I've tried this numerous times with the same results.
    It can stream youtube without breaking and also access App world which the PB doesn't through Bluetooth tethering.
    You won't go wrong with that combination. Obviously you will have to sacrifice Bridge featured though.
    Thanks for that feedback! If may ask, what Android phone does your wife have?
    05-20-11 07:46 AM
    Thanks for that feedback! If may ask, what Android phone does your wife have?
    HTC Legend

wheresmy600 likes this.
    05-20-11 08:04 AM
    I have the Nexus S 4G on Sprint and I have to say its the best phone I've ever owned. You can say its old technology all you want (because its not a power sucking dual core) but its one of the few Android phones on the market that has gingerbread. The processor is never laggy, battery life is great, and the hotspot feature is free.

I haven't done any speed tests because I haven't experienced any problems browsing while tethered except that will drain the battery quicker than any other activity. I'll try a speed test when I get the chance.

wheresmy600 likes this.
    05-20-11 09:37 AM
    I think I will try the Nexus anyway for 30 days just to see if I can get better browsing. Hopefully they will allow me to bring my PB into the BB withdrawal rehab center.

Or hey, who knows, after the 30 days is up maybe we will have the mother of all updates that fixes bridge browsing PLUS an announcement from Sprint that they will be releasing the new Bold!
    Last edited by mom21; 05-20-11 at 11:01 AM.
    05-20-11 10:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD