Fellow CB'ers-

I have been reading about the updates and watched the video clips from the CES, and while what I have seen looks cool what I haven't seen is what I am questioning here. With the 2.0 update will PB users have access to the Android Marketplace for games? With the price reduction my daughter received a PB for Christmas and I'm hopeful the access will be there expand her game selections. If not available with the 2.0 update, has anyone heard when it will be available?
    Thanks
    Jeff
    01-18-12 06:36 AM
    Not available and not sure that it will be.
    01-18-12 06:41 AM
    I thought that access to the Marketplace was a big deal in expanding their apps, games immediately. Maybe I am using the wrong wording, I am curious if the Android apps will be accessible in 2.0.
    thanks
    Jeff
    01-18-12 06:49 AM
    As of what I heard you will have android apps but not all of them because they have to convert them to the Playbook software.
    01-18-12 06:58 AM
    I thought that access to the Marketplace was a big deal in expanding their apps, games immediately. Maybe I am using the wrong wording, I am curious if the Android apps will be accessible in 2.0.
    thanks
    Jeff
    I've been reading other forums on the subject, and I think there is a large amount of misinformation some of it might be fueled my assumptions.
    01-18-12 07:04 AM
    It's my understanding that we won't have access to the market place. The apps are converted and go into app world.
    There are a few android apps in there now. When using OS1 you won't see them and even on OS2 they are not labeled as andriod.
    From the press release one could assume there will be "1000's" of android apps(in app world) available after the update.
    01-18-12 07:31 AM
    RIM has provided android developers with simple tools to repackage their code and submit the apps to appworld. Android app availability will be up to developers submitting the apps - with the tools, there are no reasons for them not to do so.

If you really need access to the android market, you should have bought an android tablet. I don't recall RIM ever promising that access, just that android apps will be able to run on 2.0, which they will.
    01-18-12 07:55 AM
    Yes, see, I don't want access to the marketplace per say, I was just hoping to get some of their games/apps through BB app world. It sounds like I was just wording my request the wrong way. If the apps are in BB app world then thats what I was seeking information about.
    01-18-12 10:05 AM
    Yes, see, I don't want access to the marketplace per say, I was just hoping to get some of their games/apps through BB app world. It sounds like I was just wording my request the wrong way. If the apps are in BB app world then thats what I was seeking information about.
    The best way to determine if your favourite Android apps/games will be available on PB is to contact the authors directly via their support contact addresses. I am certain that many of them do not know how easy to convert their apps to meet App World requirements.
    01-18-12 11:25 AM
    Android Marketplace refers to a specific piece of software that Google provides for official Android devices. It is the Android equivalent of App World. Unofficial Android devices like the Kindle Fire don't have access, nor will the PlayBook which isn't even an Android device.

What will be available with OS 2.0 is that Android developers may submit their applications to App World. This additional step serves two purposes. One is that it improves security by putting apps through RIM's review and code signing process. Second is that not all Android apps are compatible, so you'll only see apps that work. With standard Android Market you'd have no way of knowing if an app has been tested for PlayBook compatibility.
    powellcrazy and Lhendr like this.
    01-18-12 11:54 AM
    This experience has been so much fun!
    Finding and playing with new apps that I can't use on my device, playing on the larger screen, and opening a whole new world!

I think we'll likely see more availability in the future as more people purchase PB (especially with the discounts out there). I think developers will want to market their apps to as many users as possible.

It's a "wait and see" game right now...
    01-18-12 12:42 PM
    I reccommend that anyone with a PlayBook wanting Android apps persevere for at least 4-6 months simply because there is yet no 7" Android tablet that can rival it in terms of quality, if not app availability.

In 4-6 months the new Tegra3, Ice Cream-based Android tablets from the likes of Asus and Samsung et al will be released, with 1280x800 resolutions and bleeding edge specifications, and that will be the time for anyone to make the switch back to Android. Until then, enjoy the PlayBook safe in the knowledge that it won't lose much value if you decide to sell it. At worst, it will be an awesome gift for a family member or friend.
    Last edited by Richdog-; 01-18-12 at 12:57 PM.
    01-18-12 12:54 PM
    I've got a 7" Android tablet, the Acer Iconia A100, that is superb. It's snappy, well integrated, with all the important apps built in out of the box (email, etc). Ice Cream Sandwich should be coming this month, not in 4-6 months, and I've got access to the full Android Market with 400,000 apps, most of which are far far better than the current PB apps.
    I've also got a PB, with a better screen and sound, but only a tiny fraction of the Acer's functionality.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for OS2 ...
    01-18-12 09:11 PM
    I've got a 7" Android tablet, the Acer Iconia A100, that is superb. It's snappy, well integrated, with all the important apps built in out of the box (email, etc). Ice Cream Sandwich should be coming this month, not in 4-6 months, and I've got access to the full Android Market with 400,000 apps, most of which are far far better than the current PB apps.
    I've also got a PB, with a better screen and sound, but only a tiny fraction of the Acer's functionality.
    I just got rid of my 7" Samsung Tab Plus. It was horrible. Many of the apps would not work correctly because of the screen size. The programs didn't know it was a tablet.

I really believe there is a huge advantage to having the device consistent for developers. Android may have 400k apps but only a handful are worth installing. I much prefer several good apps than a bunch of junk.

This is just my opinion having used all the different tablets. I really like the PB and the iPad. Will probably get an iPad 3 when it is released.
    01-18-12 09:58 PM
    The problem being that the Acer Iconia A100 has a 5 hour battery life, and only Tegra 2 internals... hence me specifically referencing the new and much more powerful Tegra 3 chipset, which will be mainstream in a few months. Only then will it really be worth upgrading form the Playbook and buying something new and shiny.
    01-19-12 04:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD