Ohhh, it'll be by the weekend for sure. Really I just need to square a few things away with Bla1ze as to how this material will be presented on Crackberry, or if they rather it just live in the forums.

But, the good news is, I think I finally got some video footage I can use... LOL, seriously it's hard to record for 10+ minutes without effing up at some point. You just pick and choose the blunders you want recorded. I think the video will help a lot of people, it's really all about timing with this thing. If you try to go to fast, you'll get some weirdness, errors, or it won't "take" right. 99% of the time it can be fixed by a single reboot and then just loading the android player and letting it sit for 2-3 minutes before going into market. The video will give people something to go by as they're moving through the screens.

Whole process of setting it up with market should take 15 minutes tops. The files supplied this time will just get extracted to your file share\misc\android folder and then you'll be setup for the process I run through in the video.

I'll also probably provide my little BAR installer for those not familiar with other ways, it's small, simple, and will load the android player with no issues.

So yeah, it's all coming together!
    You, my good sir, are awesome!
    HaTaX and bbquincar like this.
    08-04-11 10:33 PM
    Ohhh, it'll be by the weekend for sure. Really I just need to square a few things away with Bla1ze as to how this material will be presented on Crackberry, or if they rather it just live in the forums.

But, the good news is, I think I finally got some video footage I can use... LOL, seriously it's hard to record for 10+ minutes without effing up at some point. You just pick and choose the blunders you want recorded. I think the video will help a lot of people, it's really all about timing with this thing. If you try to go to fast, you'll get some weirdness, errors, or it won't "take" right. 99% of the time it can be fixed by a single reboot and then just loading the android player and letting it sit for 2-3 minutes before going into market. The video will give people something to go by as they're moving through the screens.

Whole process of setting it up with market should take 15 minutes tops. The files supplied this time will just get extracted to your file share\misc\android folder and then you'll be setup for the process I run through in the video.

I'll also probably provide my little BAR installer for those not familiar with other ways, it's small, simple, and will load the android player with no issues.

So yeah, it's all coming together!
    I think at this point we need to start a new thread for the actual tutorial, BUT checking with my boss is the best bet (Bla1ze is one of my bosses). Just offering my 2 cents. Can't wait!
    Momohe likes this.
    08-05-11 08:43 AM
    hummm is the weekend include Friday cause we only have a few hours left lol. id love to stay up tonight installing this new player. no rush HaTax
    08-05-11 09:17 PM
    How about you stay up a few hours tonight??

This link might not be here for too long, I might go back and add some more content and instructions to the video, but I wanted to get some feedback from you guys and see how it all works for you.

Let me know what you think and if it works for you! I'll start a new thread later today or tomorrow with a little more official launch for this. I just know you all were anxious and it's nice to have the weekend to sit and play with it.

BTW - I did this late at night, if you see typos, let me know! Pet peeve of mine...
    Last edited by HaTaX; 08-06-11 at 11:49 AM.
    Covsteve, Guyzer, rholford and 6 others like this.
    08-06-11 11:45 AM

This link might not be here for too long, I might go back and add some more content and instructions to the video, but I wanted to get some feedback from you guys and see how it all works for you.

Let me know what you think and if it works for you! I'll start a new thread later today or tomorrow with a little more official launch for this. I just know you all were anxious and it's nice to have the weekend to sit and play with it.

BTW - I did this late at night, if you see typos, let me know! Pet peeve of mine...
    I will let you know shortly
    08-06-11 11:46 AM
    Holy, yeah some of you were chomping at the bit.

Sorry it took till today, when AE wanted an hour or so to render the video, I decided it was time for bed. Post production always takes soooo much longer...

I won't be here till later this eve, but I'll try to keep an eye on this thread and the video to see how things are going for you all.

Remember, instructions and links are in the video description!
    08-06-11 11:54 AM
    Just one thing, does one need to use a clean install of android player or can we continue from your previous version?
    08-06-11 11:57 AM
    Just one thing, does one need to use a clean install of android player or can we continue from your previous version?
    I would start from a clean install, but that's just me. You can go ahead and give it a shot on top of the previous version if you like, there's not much that should keep it from working, but the video assumes it's a clean install.

I think at this point we need to start a new thread for the actual tutorial, BUT checking with my boss is the best bet (Bla1ze is one of my bosses). Just offering my 2 cents. Can't wait!
    So now that I've got a tutorial, I don't want this thread to get 300 responses and have this all buried at end of the thread... Should I make the new thread in the main PB forum or should it go in the PB Apps forum? I noticed you all were nice enough to leave this one here, but it looks like you'd like to have ALL app related threads in the App forums.

I sent a message off to Bla1ze so we'll see what he wants to do in the long term.
    08-06-11 12:22 PM
    And for what it's worth guys, the whole key to this is patience. Don't move through the steps too quickly and give it time to load up where I note that in the video. If you move too fast you'll get some odd things happening and you'll most likely need to reboot the PB to get things working properly again.
    08-06-11 12:23 PM
    I would start from a clean install, but that's just me. You can go ahead and give it a shot on top of the previous version if you like, there's not much that should keep it from working, but the video assumes it's a clean install.
    I can confirm you don't need a fresh install, I just uninstalled the previous market and astro, reinstalled the new astro and market (didn't need to do the other 7 apps as I installed previously), rebooted and we are all good. I can download and install using the new market.

Cheers.
    HaTaX likes this.
    08-06-11 12:27 PM
    And for anyone wondering what's in the "optional" folder, those are the GMail connectors for contacts and calendar, and the media uploader service for things like YouTube. They're not needed, but I included them in case people want them. All of this stuff had to be signed with the same key, so I figured someone out there would use it...
    08-06-11 12:41 PM
    I did a clean install but I'm stuck on the part where I goto the browser and look for file:///sdcard/apks/astro.apks not able to find it what am I doing wrong can some one give me a step by step. I used a different one in the past the 27 steps to android but it doesn't work probally due to the first steps I did with this one. I also wonder if its because I'm doing it wired and not wireless since the upgrade I haven't been able to do wireless is there a way to fix that.
    Last edited by quincar; 08-06-11 at 02:12 PM.
    08-06-11 02:06 PM
    now im having error saying im not having sufficient space. i have 8gb left in my playbook
    08-06-11 02:36 PM

Thanks HaTaX works a treat for me
    08-06-11 02:42 PM
    i was never able to download anything on old market. and yet again with this new one...when i click to download app download just fails. when i go to my apps on the market i see it there but its not installed. i have to be doing something wrong...i still cant download from market
    08-06-11 02:45 PM
    My feeling for the instructions thread, would be the Games & Apps Sub Forum, AND that we make it a sticky, BUT lets run it by Bla1ze first! It's also possible we will want to blog this and give it a place on the front page, OR we may want to bury it, so efforts are not made to prevent it from working.
    08-06-11 03:00 PM
    I did everything right and I get to the market. however, the jewel app is taking more than 10 minutes and still going. Any suggestions will be appreciated. The market I have does not look like the one you have HaTaX2. Thanks
    08-06-11 04:55 PM
    Not a developer...just wanted to see what the PB can do, so followed the entire process and it's amazing! As he says, be patient and follow the video and instructions exactly as he says, and it all works well. Really enjoying the additional PB fun! Thank you for taking what looks to be a HUGE amount of time to put this all together for us 'slower' folks....
    08-06-11 05:18 PM
    I guess having the market running doesn't necessarily mean that the apps that we can "install" will actually run? I've downloaded several apps but not all of them will run. Angry Birds is one that downloaded and says installed, but when I've tried to open it to play, it gives me an error that says "The application (process com.rovio.angrybirds) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." and forces it closed. I've tried restarting the PlayBook several times and it still does it. Any suggestions? I downloaded Jewels and it worked great just like the video but some other apps aren't working either that I've tried to download. (Bible [YouVersion] and Talking Tom)
    08-06-11 05:18 PM
    Everything worked up until the point where I downloaded the Jewels game. Error of Insufficient storage availible. Any guess???
    08-06-11 05:25 PM
    I guess having the market running doesn't necessarily mean that the apps that we can "install" will actually run? I've downloaded several apps but not all of them will run. Angry Birds is one that downloaded and says installed, but when I've tried to open it to play, it gives me an error that says "The application (process com.rovio.angrybirds) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." and forces it closed. I've tried restarting the PlayBook several times and it still does it. Any suggestions? I downloaded Jewels and it worked great just like the video but some other apps aren't working either that I've tried to download. (Bible [YouVersion] and Talking Tom)
    ive read into this..and even if you download from market..not all apps work.
    08-06-11 05:27 PM
    flawless victory!! HaTaX for mayor... works like a charm. I did hang after installing the 7 apps though. Closed out the app and restarted the pb. Loaded fine after that. I tried using the bluetooth tethering connection to access the marketplace and I received a network error. This problem relates though to the android app loader failing to properly recognized the bluetooth connection. In other posts they mention this error. Would be great though if this could be fixed.

After getting it to work this well I'm afraid I might hold back from any further updates for my playbook os as well as the new android app player as they may remove access to the android marketplace.
    08-06-11 05:31 PM
    I did everything right and I get to the market. however, the jewel app is taking more than 10 minutes and still going. Any suggestions will be appreciated. The market I have does not look like the one you have HaTaX2. Thanks
    Try rebooting your PB and see if that works.
    08-06-11 05:32 PM
    i just uploaded the 8vending2.apk, opened it with app manager clicked upgrade and it works well if you have it installed previously.

Thanks for the work.
    Last edited by molson0; 08-06-11 at 05:38 PM.
    08-06-11 05:34 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. It did nt work. I will try again one more time. I cannot seem to find the SDCARD file. How do you I get it. I will keep trying until it works. HaTaX2 is a genius compared to me. Thanks
    08-06-11 05:55 PM
285 ... 89101112
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD