I know one thing. the Player keeps my free RAM right about 100MB, give or take 20-30MB.... Sheesh!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-11 06:04 PM
    So when I try to download an app, it starts to download but then says insufficient space and wont install. I have two "download" folders on my SD/ looks like the below. Any thoughts?
    07-31-11 09:28 PM
    I had to do a factory reset on my Playbook, then BEFORE installing the android player, I made a /misc/android/download folder with AIR File Manager.

After installing Android Player I deleted the download folder with my computer and used:
    adb shell
    $ cd /sdcard
    $ mkdir download
    $ chmod 777 download

I had to do a factory reset because the download folder it initially made did not have the proper permissions and I couldn't change them nor could I delete the folder to remake it either in adb or air file manager or windows.

Essentially the download folder was undeletable.
    08-01-11 09:06 AM
    Hey HaTaX...did RIM offer any type of support or suggestions? Would be interesting to see what they have working thus far as we are still awaiting for the official release of the Android Player "later this summer". Better yet, did they offer you a job?? :-)
    08-01-11 09:03 PM
    They haven't said squat to me so far, doubt it would be in a welcoming tone as well.

Stay tuned, more info and the new version is due out very soon...
    08-01-11 09:44 PM
    i read something about the blue stacks emulator, are they the same as the android player we are supposed to have?
    08-01-11 10:12 PM
    They haven't said squat to me so far, doubt it would be in a welcoming tone as well.

Stay tuned, more info and the new version is due out very soon...
    how soon lol. i actual wiped clean and ready to add andriod again but even better.
    08-01-11 10:39 PM
    how soon lol. i actual wiped clean and ready to add andriod again but even better.
    Agreed, how soon?
    08-02-11 12:21 PM
    Can someone please test the following apps:

OliveTree Bible Reader
    Weight Watchers Beta
    Astrid Tasks
    Evernote
    Mint
    Walgreens
    OnTrack
    Medscape
    My Days
    Mahjong and Friends
    Random Mahjong
    Reel Deal Slots
    Alchemy
    Doodle God
    Speedx 3D
    Pente
    AllRecipes
    08-02-11 12:41 PM
    If it is true that the Andorid Player is delayed until late fall then we will be be enjoying HaTaX's work for some time.
    08-03-11 07:50 AM
    Guys whenever he's ready to release it he will, don't bombard him with how long questions, with this type of project its hard to give an exact time sced
    08-03-11 08:02 AM
    You all are just anxious, I totally get that. Work schedule has been brutal this week, but I'm hoping to get all the info I want together for a proper release.

Good news is, after re-installing it about 15 times I think I've got a good process for everyone to follow.

When it's all done, it will be a how to get started with your android player in under 10 minutes. That will get you all setup with the google apps and of course a working marketplace.

Looks like we might be on this version of the player for a while, so we might as well make the most of it right?

I can feel RIM's pain on the timeline, the GL graphics subsystem in Android is a pain to work with and an even bigger pain to get a proper drivers built. I compiled a driver for a custom rom I made once and it wasn't a fun experience even with good working source code. I'm sure this is the piece that's really hanging them up as there isn't a whole lot of tweaking left to be done in the player besides that. Well, that and all the file system weirdness, but they seem to have that under decent control.
    08-03-11 08:28 AM
    Aren't there a few tablets coming out with the same specs as the playbook that will be running android? I swear I read somewhere that one of the upcoming Toshiba or HP tablets or something along those lines used the same CPU/GPU combo... would it be possible to use drivers off of those systems or is it a moot point since they will most likely be running Honeycomb?
    08-03-11 01:12 PM
    HaTax, with your tweaks to the android market (thanks a ton btw) does it take care of permissions for apps like Kindle or do you still have to correct permissions on certain apps?
    08-03-11 04:35 PM
    Well, I've read all the posts from the very first one, and I'm very excited to try this out! However, I think I'll wait for the updated one first. I'll be watching!

Great and exciting work!

On a side note, I know several people that would like to have a working Nook app. Do you think the reason it isn't working is the same OpenGL problem?
    08-03-11 05:29 PM
    I have been using the player with the market released here. A few problems have been showing up, the most frequent one is that the player freezes. Is there any new version of the player available?
    08-03-11 08:44 PM
    Got to keep this one alive folks, HaTaX is putting too much in for all of us to benefit from. I for one have subscribed to this thread.
    08-04-11 08:47 AM
    seems like hatax is putting more development in than rim lol
    HaTaX and prez87 like this.
    08-04-11 10:21 AM
    Aren't there a few tablets coming out with the same specs as the playbook that will be running android? I swear I read somewhere that one of the upcoming Toshiba or HP tablets or something along those lines used the same CPU/GPU combo... would it be possible to use drivers off of those systems or is it a moot point since they will most likely be running Honeycomb?
    Ok, apparently the playbook GPU is somewhat common... the SGX540. This is the same gpu used in the Galaxy S and other android devices... I may simply be talking out my a** here as I have a very basic understanding of these things, but couldn't we extract and modify the drivers out of a different device's android OS?
    Last edited by rustmonkey; 08-04-11 at 10:34 AM.
    08-04-11 10:22 AM
    Ok, apparently the playbook GPU is somewhat common... the SGX540. This is the same gpu used in the Galaxy S and other android devices... I may simply be talking out my a** here as I have a very basic understanding of these things, but couldn't we extract and modify the drivers out of a different device's android OS?
    Good idea, but not how things work in this instance. The graphics drivers are compiled as part of the kernel not as a standalone driver or application. Currently the Android player piggybacks the QNX kernel and doesn't have it's own kernel. So the tricky part is building the OS portion of Android with support for calls in a kernel built in a different environment, not an easy task as it's all meant to be compiled together at build time.

RIM has started work on it as I can see some OpenGL wrapper components in here, but they're not fully functional and I would guess that's a portion that's taking them much longer to develop then others because of the complexity of it all.

GPU acceleration would be great, and at least it seems that they have the frame buffer being used or you would see some seriously laggy menu operations.

Getting a video ready for you all! I've got the process down to 10 minutes now after the Android player is loaded on your device. Just have to follow it step by step and you'll have a happy android system with market in it. Yay.

RIM has a lot of smart people on their staff, but I'm unsure how many have actual experience with Android. Luckily the linux system under Android and the QNX system are very similar so getting the basics to work isn't too much trouble. There will always be hiccups on a path like this and we need to remember that this is not their final product and really shouldn't be judged if there are portions that don't work.
    08-04-11 11:51 AM
    RIM has started work on it as I can see some OpenGL wrapper components in here, but they're not fully functional and I would guess that's a portion that's taking them much longer to develop then others because of the complexity of it all.
    Interesting!
    08-04-11 12:13 PM
    Good idea, but not how things work in this instance. The graphics drivers are compiled as part of the kernel not as a standalone driver or application. Currently the Android player piggybacks the QNX kernel and doesn't have it's own kernel. So the tricky part is building the OS portion of Android with support for calls in a kernel built in a different environment, not an easy task as it's all meant to be compiled together at build time.

GPU acceleration would be great, and at least it seems that they have the frame buffer being used or you would see some seriously laggy menu operations.

Getting a video ready for you all! I've got the process down to 10 minutes now after the Android player is loaded on your device. Just have to follow it step by step and you'll have a happy android system with market in it. Yay.

RIM has a lot of smart people on their staff, but I'm unsure how many have actual experience with Android. Luckily the linux system under Android and the QNX system are very similar so getting the basics to work isn't too much trouble. There will always be hiccups on a path like this and we need to remember that this is not their final product and really shouldn't be judged if there are portions that don't work.
    thats why they need people like you on their team.
    wetsqueegee likes this.
    08-04-11 12:17 PM
    im glad youve decided to release your own video this tie around. might be the only time we get a working android app store on the playbook ever
    08-04-11 03:03 PM
    im so stoked right. saw in one of the other threds hatax is trying for this week. lets get the weekend with andriod.
    08-04-11 08:41 PM
    Ohhh, it'll be by the weekend for sure. Really I just need to square a few things away with Bla1ze as to how this material will be presented on Crackberry, or if they rather it just live in the forums.

But, the good news is, I think I finally got some video footage I can use... LOL, seriously it's hard to record for 10+ minutes without effing up at some point. You just pick and choose the blunders you want recorded. I think the video will help a lot of people, it's really all about timing with this thing. If you try to go to fast, you'll get some weirdness, errors, or it won't "take" right. 99% of the time it can be fixed by a single reboot and then just loading the android player and letting it sit for 2-3 minutes before going into market. The video will give people something to go by as they're moving through the screens.

Whole process of setting it up with market should take 15 minutes tops. The files supplied this time will just get extracted to your file share\misc\android folder and then you'll be setup for the process I run through in the video.

I'll also probably provide my little BAR installer for those not familiar with other ways, it's small, simple, and will load the android player with no issues.

So yeah, it's all coming together!
    08-04-11 10:27 PM
285 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD