No setup file download folder?
    07-29-11 10:39 AM
    Anyone able to get Android Player working on Simulator? I get 'Unable to start application Android Player, Error Code 8'.

Edit: According to Blackberry Dev Advisor:
    If you get error 8 or error 13, and you sure everything you did is correct do this:
    - Uninstall all version of your app
    - Reboot playbook
    - Install and launch again
    However, this doesn't help. Still Error Code 8 in simulator.
    Last edited by xsacha; 07-29-11 at 09:03 PM.
    07-29-11 10:43 AM
    [off_topic]

@ HaTax

Dude, Thank you for the push.

I started looking at building aps late last night.
    I have already send the "send me my keys " email to blackberry

5 minutes after that I received the file to set up my keys.

I have now successfully written a "test" app that calculates the material needed for a ceiling tile installation .
    I have singed said app.
    I have installed said app.
    Now I am gonna upload said app.

Thanks again.

[/topic]

This process form start to finish, literally took 2 hours TOPS.
    Last edited by molson0; 07-29-11 at 11:47 AM.
    HaTaX likes this.
    07-29-11 11:29 AM
    Molson, glad you could find some use from the knowledge! Once you're setup and you understand the steps, it really does go fast. AIR development isn't too bad either if you're familiar with java/ecma. Once you get it down, building and testing goes pretty fast.

Just as an update, I've got the newer market working now, but I'm working on the downloading bug. Kind of a pain as they've obviously made this area complex to prevent this kind of stuff. Ohh well, I'm sure I'll figure something out.
    07-29-11 06:25 PM
    Molson, glad you could find some use from the knowledge! Once you're setup and you understand the steps, it really does go fast. AIR development isn't too bad either if you're familiar with java/ecma. Once you get it down, building and testing goes pretty fast.

Just as an update, I've got the newer market working now, but I'm working on the downloading bug. Kind of a pain as they've obviously made this area complex to prevent this kind of stuff. Ohh well, I'm sure I'll figure something out.
    Is the fact that this is an older version of the Market the reason some apps don't show up in the market? Works almost flawlessly though!
    bbquincar likes this.
    07-29-11 11:50 PM
    Is the fact that this is an older version of the Market the reason some apps don't show up in the market? Works almost flawlessly though!
    Could be that, could also be that the thumbprint that is reported is not recognized. That's actually something I can probably fix in the app itself, so that people don't have to jump through endless hoops to modify the build.prop file.

I'll keep this in mind as I'm doing my work on V2. Currently it's downloading 90% of the time, so I think I'm getting the hiccups worked out. You'll all be much happier when this version is done. It sees all the installed apps and all the content panes work. Honestly everything but the queued downloads work great.
    07-29-11 11:58 PM
    Could be that, could also be that the thumbprint that is reported is not recognized. That's actually something I can probably fix in the app itself, so that people don't have to jump through endless hoops to modify the build.prop file.

I'll keep this in mind as I'm doing my work on V2. Currently it's downloading 90% of the time, so I think I'm getting the hiccups worked out. You'll all be much happier when this version is done. It sees all the installed apps and all the content panes work. Honestly everything but the queued downloads work great.
    Well, your work is definitely appreciated! I has actually uninstalled the app player until I came across this thread. Making for a fun weekend so far. lol

Can't wait to give the new stuff a shot!
    07-30-11 12:10 AM
    Hey!!! You're all getting quiet again!

Guess it's time to stir the pot with some new news. I've got version 2.3.3 working extremely well, all the functions of the application itself work for me without a hitch. Shows all installed apps, does updates, downloads on a consistent basis, installs them properly, etc.

What's that? Somewhere I hear in the background "pics or it didn't happen"...

Here ya go.
    07-30-11 06:47 PM
    you da man bro
    cheers
    07-30-11 06:50 PM

Guess it's time to stir the pot with some new news. I've got version 2.3.3 working extremely well, all the functions of the application itself work for me without a hitch. Shows all installed apps, does updates, downloads on a consistent basis, installs them properly, etc.

Here ya go.
    So, I can haz!? No seriously dude, you need to be a BBM contact of mine! lol
    07-30-11 06:51 PM

Here ya go.
    wow looking forward to this version, great work
    Last edited by Covsteve; 07-30-11 at 07:12 PM.
    07-30-11 07:09 PM
    HaTax, what is the benefit to having the market vs just side loading the .apk file? By using the market are more apps actually working?
    Last edited by lavrishevo; 07-30-11 at 09:58 PM.
    07-30-11 08:00 PM
    haTax ur awesome bro! hopefully i can use this market instead. i havent been able to download anything from the older market....good job man
    07-30-11 08:20 PM
    HaTax, what us the benefit to having the market vs just side loading the .apk file? By using the market are more apps actually working?
    i think by sideloading we have to go on the net and locate the apk file and then load and install. how many times have u downloaded the wrong apk? with the market you are downlading the most current app with current apk...no need to go searching on the net...i believe some apps work and others dont...just like side loading
    07-30-11 08:25 PM
    i think by sideloading we have to go on the net and locate the apk file and then load and install. how many times have u downloaded the wrong apk? with the market you are downlading the most current app with current apk...no need to go searching on the net...i believe some apps work and others dont...just like side loading
    It is nice to have direct access to the market. Just wondering if downloading directly improves compatability.
    07-30-11 10:00 PM

I second this, I think it's a convenience thing more than a compatibility thing. I've still run into a few apps that either don't work or perform poorly when getting from the market. But it's nice to not have to search the web and install apks from who knows where.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    07-31-11 12:23 AM
    Great Work HaTaX!!! When do we get to play with the new version?
    07-31-11 07:32 AM
    I don't think that the issue with some Android Apps not working is "compatibility" per se.

The Apps are running in their native environment. As HaTaX mentioned earlier, as implemented the Android Player doesn't have a 3D graphics driver. He suggests that it probably never will because this is hard to implement.

So, it doesn't matter where you get the apk from. I would rather get them from a source where the developer chooses to distribute and pay them where the app is not free.
    07-31-11 07:47 AM
    The Playbook is running a 100% native implementation of Android 2.3.3.
    Any compatibility issues would likely be due to missing drivers/hardware.

Just a note that the LG Optimus 3D and the Motorola Droid 3 Android devices use the same CPU/GPU as the Playbook.
    07-31-11 10:43 AM
    The Apps are running in their native environment. As HaTaX mentioned earlier, as implemented the Android Player doesn't have a 3D graphics driver. He suggests that it probably never will because this is hard to implement. .
    Well, right now they don't have the OpenGL system working in hardware mode and we're stuck with software rendering. That's slow, and doesn't emulate a lot of the OpenGL commands that a full hardware driver would. This is easily the most difficult portion of the system to pass through or wrap in the Android environment. It's not impossible, but it would be the most time consuming to get it working.

Actually I think they will get this working before launch as not many games will work properly without it. And really, both systems are using OpenGL, so they may just have to write a wrapper for the OpenGL instructions to be passed to QNX.

If anything, this will be the portion of the system they'll be releasing bug fixes on.

The Playbook is running a 100% native implementation of Android 2.3.3.
    Any compatibility issues would likely be due to missing drivers/hardware.
    Yup! The Playbook has a completely stock 2.3.3 build on it, or at least that's how it started... I think most of the compatibility issues stem from the modifications done to the core system and the oddities that come along with it.

For instance, the network connection. It's passed through to Android as not having a real IP address and such. Some applications determine network connectivity in different ways, (Asking the system vs checking it's IP address vs if it can see an internet address) and sometimes they're not able to properly determine what's going on because of the changes.

And also, the file system is not what you would find on a normal Android system. We're missing the entire "/cache" folder and a lot of applications use that folder for cache storage. If the application is written well enough to work without needing that particular directory, it works. Otherwise if the programmers depended on that folder being there, the application crashes. There's lots of other little oddities here that cause some apps to just crash and burn.

I'm actually working on making GMail functional right now. I'm not sure how feasible it is overall, but I think I can get a working copy made with not too much effort. There's quite a few apps that just don't work right if they want to display HTML content, and I am assuming it is from changes to the core system. Honestly I wonder if it's because they're wanting to build a wrapper for HTML content to run it through the QNX HTML rendering system.

Anyway, Market has survived the last 24 hours with no downloading issues. This looks like it will be a good Market for use on our devices! Also, when this is released initially it won't have "all" the apps as I haven't done anything with the thumbprint yet. Normally you'd just modify your build.prop file, but since we don't have easy access to that, I'll need to see if it can be fixed from the application side. NOT ideal in the slightest, but I want to make this a drag and drop install to keep things easy for people.

I think I'll be posting up a performance guide in the next few days. I've noticed adjusting a few settings here and there really speed up the UI and I figured a setup guide would help everyone get the most from the system. Actually the speed of it after the Google apps are installed and some other apps from Marketplace surprised me, it's still nice and "snappy!"
    bbquincar likes this.
    07-31-11 02:07 PM
    Well, right now they don't have the OpenGL system working in hardware mode and we're stuck with software rendering. That's slow, and doesn't emulate a lot of the OpenGL commands that a full hardware driver would. This is easily the most difficult portion of the system to pass through or wrap in the Android environment. It's not impossible, but it would be the most time consuming to get it working.

Actually I think they will get this working before launch as not many games will work properly without it. And really, both systems are using OpenGL, so they may just have to write a wrapper for the OpenGL instructions to be passed to QNX.

If anything, this will be the portion of the system they'll be releasing bug fixes on.

Yup! The Playbook has a completely stock 2.3.3 build on it, or at least that's how it started... I think most of the compatibility issues stem from the modifications done to the core system and the oddities that come along with it.

For instance, the network connection. It's passed through to Android as not having a real IP address and such. Some applications determine network connectivity in different ways, (Asking the system vs checking it's IP address vs if it can see an internet address) and sometimes they're not able to properly determine what's going on because of the changes.

And also, the file system is not what you would find on a normal Android system. We're missing the entire "/cache" folder and a lot of applications use that folder for cache storage. If the application is written well enough to work without needing that particular directory, it works. Otherwise if the programmers depended on that folder being there, the application crashes. There's lots of other little oddities here that cause some apps to just crash and burn.

I'm actually working on making GMail functional right now. I'm not sure how feasible it is overall, but I think I can get a working copy made with not too much effort. There's quite a few apps that just don't work right if they want to display HTML content, and I am assuming it is from changes to the core system. Honestly I wonder if it's because they're wanting to build a wrapper for HTML content to run it through the QNX HTML rendering system.

Anyway, Market has survived the last 24 hours with no downloading issues. This looks like it will be a good Market for use on our devices! Also, when this is released initially it won't have "all" the apps as I haven't done anything with the thumbprint yet. Normally you'd just modify your build.prop file, but since we don't have easy access to that, I'll need to see if it can be fixed from the application side. NOT ideal in the slightest, but I want to make this a drag and drop install to keep things easy for people.

I think I'll be posting up a performance guide in the next few days. I've noticed adjusting a few settings here and there really speed up the UI and I figured a setup guide would help everyone get the most from the system. Actually the speed of it after the Google apps are installed and some other apps from Marketplace surprised me, it's still nice and "snappy!"
    You are the man. Any idea when we can try this out?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-11 02:13 PM
    You are the man. Any idea when we can try this out?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Soon. I want to do some additional testing this time around, make sure everything is ship shape before it's released to the masses. Also would like to include some other bonuses, like GMail working.

There's some other things in motion as well, this may end up being more then just a post here in the forum.

Just figured I'd take a little more time with it this time around. Last time, I posted that (very buggy) version up pretty hastily after I got it working. This time I want to pull out all the debugging code and such, keep it to a bare minimum of modifications, etc.

No worries, you'll have a (better) working Marketplace very soon.
    pchan8888 and bbquincar like this.
    07-31-11 03:10 PM
    Soon. I want to do some additional testing this time around, make sure everything is ship shape before it's released to the masses. Also would like to include some other bonuses, like GMail working.

There's some other things in motion as well, this may end up being more then just a post here in the forum.

Just figured I'd take a little more time with it this time around. Last time, I posted that (very buggy) version up pretty hastily after I got it working. This time I want to pull out all the debugging code and such, keep it to a bare minimum of modifications, etc.

No worries, you'll have a (better) working Marketplace very soon.
    I can't wait to try it!
    07-31-11 03:37 PM
    Anyone got a list of apps that work from the Market?
    I can download and install applications but so far only IMDB works for me...
    Last edited by immyb; 07-31-11 at 04:48 PM.
    07-31-11 04:43 PM
    Anyone got a list of apps that work from the Market?
    I can download and install applications but so far only IMDB works for me...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...r-apps-631724/
    07-31-11 05:37 PM
285 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD