Here's how I got it working: I did a security wipe of my playbook, did a fresh install of Android Player, followed HaTaX instructions and I used the app Airbrowser to create the download and Apks file. Once into market I download apps/games the start resumes but no joy so I hard reset enter Android Player I now get notifications on my PB homescreen that the apps/games have downloaded.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    abedauhajre likes this.
    07-28-11 03:40 AM
    Here's how I got it working: I did a security wipe of my playbook, did a fresh install of Android Player, followed HaTaX instructions and I used the app Airbrowser to create the download and Apks file. Once into market I download apps/games the start resumes but no joy so I hard reset enter Android Player I now get notifications on my PB homescreen that the apps/games have downloaded.

Thank you so much.
    07-28-11 06:01 AM
    Finally the files are showing on the Downloads app on Android player. They show as "Failed", when I select the app it asks if I will like to retry or delete. I hit retry it shows in process but then goes back to fail.

Can anyone explain why this is happening and ways to solve it.
    having same issue...i havent been able to download anything from the market
    07-28-11 07:27 AM
    Do you think RIM doesn't have people that have figured out how to make Android Market NOT work? They've got lots of smart people over there too...
    Where? Where? Obviously NONE of them worked on the Playbook!
    07-28-11 09:01 AM
    Where? Where? Obviously NONE of them worked on the Playbook!
    Right? Haha. They don't have enough people to make it work, but they have people to stop it from working

howarmat likes this.
    07-28-11 09:11 AM
    i dont think the would waste there time trying to stop it from working at this stage of the game.
    07-28-11 09:21 AM
    Do you think RIM doesn't have people that have figured out how to make Android Market NOT work? They've got lots of smart people over there too...
    Well, they did try to intentionally to stop it from working. That's why plain ol' market will NOT work on the PB. The copy you all are downloading was modified to skip over or work around the functions / methods that break it.

RIM did quite a bit of work to lock down and modify the player. It's very close to a stock 2.3.3 build but with some "changes" that break some apps, and cause the market to not work at all.

After the market I have another task, to get HTML display working correctly. That's why GMail dies when you're viewing an email, and why Firefox won't run. The folder structure it's looking for doesn't exist, and so it can't parse HTML data. Causes issues with lots of apps, anything that displays HTML besides the browser really.
    07-28-11 09:35 AM
    Well, they did try to intentionally to stop it from working. That's why plain ol' market will NOT work on the PB. The copy you all are downloading was modified to skip over or work around the functions / methods that break it.

RIM did quite a bit of work to lock down and modify the player. It's very close to a stock 2.3.3 build but with some "changes" that break some apps, and cause the market to not work at all.

After the market I have another task, to get HTML display working correctly. That's why GMail dies when you're viewing an email, and why Firefox won't run. The folder structure it's looking for doesn't exist, and so it can't parse HTML data. Causes issues with lots of apps, anything that displays HTML besides the browser really.
    Really? That's nuts

Out of curiosity, why pour all this time in to it when its going to be released anyways?

07-28-11 09:42 AM
    ...SNIP... I do this as a hobby. ...SNIP...
    Why do I do it? Well, it's what I do to relax. Also Android has a soft place in my heart, I love open source.
    07-28-11 09:47 AM

Happy birthday boss and thanks again for all the hard work.
    HaTaX likes this.
    07-28-11 09:49 AM
    Why do I do it? Well, it's what I do to relax. Also Android has a soft place in my heart, I love open source.
    Right on, thanks. And happy bday

I guess what I was getting at was, is this gonna pay off after the release of the official player?

HaTaX likes this.
    07-28-11 09:54 AM
    So obviously everyone has cracked open sys.android.zip.

I have to ask: why is no one modifying it?

First thing would be init.rc. Surely we don't want loglevel 9 and most of the other options.
    Heaps of shell scripts we can modify.
    Heck, you can throw in the APKs on this forum and install them when Android Player is installed. Make a download directory while you're at. It will simplify all the steps involved in getting this working.
    07-28-11 10:36 AM

First thing would be init.rc. Surely we don't want loglevel 9 and most of the other options.
    Heaps of shell scripts we can modify.
    Heck, you can throw in the APKs on this forum and install them when Android Player is installed. Make a download directory while you're at. It will simplify all the steps involved in getting this working.
    the one problem is, as far as i know(correct me if i am wrong) is resigning the application so that it will run on the playbook.
    07-28-11 10:46 AM
    Thanks HaTaX for all your hard work!!!
    I have not had the opportunity to follow your instructions but the amount of work that you are putting in speaks volumes of your love of decoding and trying in solving issues presented in the leaked Android version. Your exploration may open new ideas for the Player that RIM may also need to ponder about. This would benefit all. My appreciations goes to you!!! By the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
    HaTaX likes this.
    07-28-11 10:56 AM
    Happy Birthday HaTaX youre the best! keep up the hard work, and maybe youll take Ryan Bidan's place at RIM
    HaTaX likes this.
    07-28-11 12:03 PM
    Well it took me about 10 tries... Didn't do anything different each try, followed instructions to the letter, and it finally works

Why did it take 10 or so tries? I will never know. Each time I stated with a fresh OS install. On the plus side the game I downloaded from the Market installed after download... Which I thought it wasn't suppose to? A little confused overall but majorly happy.

Thank you sooo much HaTaX, happy birthday man.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    HaTaX likes this.
    07-28-11 12:35 PM
    Happy Birthday HaTaX!

I really appreciate all the work you've done so far. Your work enabled me to use Trillian (Android Version) on my PB. This is major for me and it doesn't sound like Trillian are working on a PlayBook version. Also the Overdrive Media console lets me borrow ebooks/audiobooks from my local library. Something I wasn't able to do on the PB until now (Reading an ebook on my Curve is next to impossible).
    HaTaX likes this.
    07-28-11 12:40 PM
    Happy Birthday HaTaX! Thanks for your hard work!!! You made my Playbook interesting again...
    HaTaX likes this.
    07-28-11 04:47 PM
    HaTaX birthday?
    Congrats!

ps: haven't tried the method for sideloading Android Market though. Will try when I have the time
    HaTaX likes this.
    07-28-11 05:16 PM

Well, I won't distribute a copy of it signed with my developer keys, RIM would probably revoke my keys in a heartbeat and I wouldn't be able to release updates for my apps. Just for fun, try to sign the bar file as it sits. I don't want to say too much on the subject, but I will say if you want to tinker, debug keys are always the best way to verify something is working.

There's a big difference in an RDK (release key) signed app and a debug signed app. If you debug sign something, it can only be run on a device that has had a debug token explicitly created for it's pin, and you need to preload that token on the device. Doesn't make it feasible to modify it and sign it with a debug file, only I could use it.

But if you like to tinker, that's definitely where you want to start...

As to all the happy birthdays, thanks guys!!! I've actually been working today and on the phone for 7+ hours and wasn't watching the thread. Brought a big smile to my face to see all of those, so thank you again.

Been working on the newer version of the market and a lot of our strange bugs go away with it. I think it's because the version being used now (1.82) was designed for much older builds of Android. Gingerbread was shipped with the 2.3.3 market and it seems to behave much better. I see all my loaded apps in my downloads area, the different categories work, etc.

So once I finish up with V2, we should see a much more normal behaving Market. I started with the older version because it's a LOT simpler then 2.3.3 and I needed to figure out the core reason why it wouldn't work. And 2.3.3 is very different from 1.82 code wise, tons of stuff moved, new functions, etc. More code = more time to dig through it all. That's why I said this release is pre-alpha, just to show it CAN be done.

Working on making it pretty...
    07-28-11 06:02 PM
    wow lets see how better the newer market is...i still havent been able to download anything from older one....keep up the good work and happy bday
    07-28-11 06:08 PM
    Happy Bday Ha Tax!!! Sorry i am a little late. Great work!!
    HaTaX likes this.
    07-28-11 07:02 PM
    Well, I won't distribute a copy of it signed with my developer keys, RIM would probably revoke my keys in a heartbeat and I wouldn't be able to release updates for my apps. Just for fun, try to sign the bar file as it sits. I don't want to say too much on the subject, but I will say if you want to tinker, debug keys are always the best way to verify something is working.
    Happy birthday!

What I mean is you could release the .zip with all the current improvements (and removing loglevel and such) and then we can individually choose to sign the .bar or use debug tokens. Then we can individually improve on it from there.
    07-29-11 09:39 AM
    I installed with my own device on the Android Market. Angry Birds soon be installing.
    yfrog Photo : http://yfrog.com/gzgvdqqj Shared by emrecanyargic
    07-29-11 09:59 AM
    Happy belated Hatax.

So yesterday I opened up the android player and I started getting notifications like crazy which were all the apps I downloaded a few days ago in the market, glad to see they finally download and install.
    07-29-11 10:25 AM
285 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD